getting alot closer.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cowboyz, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Downloaded some other drivers from ihugs ftp.

    sm200d-2.01-linux24.tar

    instructions say:

    PREREQUISITES
    -------------
    You MUST have the source code for the kernel you wish to load the driver
    under
    installed in the directory:

    /usr/src/linux

    xp2100:~# dir
    C: Desktop My\ Documents Network s sky_app.tar.gz
    xp2100:~# cd /usr/src
    xp2100:/usr/src# dir
    rpm
    xp2100:/usr/src# cd rpm
    xp2100:/usr/src/rpm# dir
    BUILD RPMS SOURCES SPECS SRPMS
    xp2100:/usr/src/rpm#

    I don't have a linux directory there and don't know what teh "source
    code for the kernel" is and where to get it from. I assume that I
    already have it somewhere.
    cowboyz, Jul 13, 2003

  2. cowboyz

    Seth Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:13:03 -0400, cowboyz wrote:

    The "source code for the kernel" is simply the (human readable) code that
    is used to compile the kernel into binary so it will run your computer.

    The kernel source can be obtained from many places, but first...what OS
    are you running? SuSe perhaps? or maybe Slackware....those are the only
    others I know that use RPMS other than Red Hat of course....but this
    doesn't look to be a RH system (unless you've done some strange command
    line prompt changes). Once you know this information you can go to your
    OS's website or ftp server and try to locate the source code (probably in
    rpm form since that's what it looks like you are using) and install it.

    HTH

    Seth
    Seth, Jul 13, 2003

  3. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Seth wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:13:03 -0400, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    > The "source code for the kernel" is simply the (human readable) code that
    > is used to compile the kernel into binary so it will run your computer.
    >
    > The kernel source can be obtained from many places, but first...what OS
    > are you running? SuSe perhaps? or maybe Slackware....those are the only
    > others I know that use RPMS other than Red Hat of course....but this
    > doesn't look to be a RH system (unless you've done some strange command
    > line prompt changes). Once you know this information you can go to your
    > OS's website or ftp server and try to locate the source code (probably in
    > rpm form since that's what it looks like you are using) and install it.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Seth

    sorry. it is LindowsOS 3. soon to be thrown out the window. Can't
    do *anything* on it without going to get something else that is missing.
    If I could get my hands on Mandrake then this would be outta here.
    cowboyz, Jul 13, 2003
  4. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:13:03 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    > > I don't have a linux directory there and don't know what teh "source
    > > code for the kernel" is and where to get it from. I assume that I
    > > already have it somewhere.

    > It's on one of the Discs you used to install your particular version of
    > Linux in the first place.
    >
    > It should be installed if you opted to install the Kernel development
    > suite of software.
    >
    > I suggest that you go back and check what you installed.
    >
    > For RedHat 9 try...
    >
    > KDE-Start/System Settings/Add-Remove Applications. and scroll down to near
    > the bottom where it has the Kernel development stuff listed.
    >
    > Lennier

    thanx for the tip but i was usign lindows which trys to hide everything it
    possibly can with none of the command lines that I apparently want. I have
    given up on it now and downloading mandrake
    cowboyz, Jul 13, 2003
  5. In article <>, Seth wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:13:03 -0400, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    > The "source code for the kernel" is simply the (human readable) code that
    > is used to compile the kernel into binary so it will run your computer.
    >
    > The kernel source can be obtained from many places, but first...what OS
    > are you running?

    OS is Linux/Windows/OS/2/AmigaOS etc. SuSe, SlackWare, Debian, Mandrake
    are distributions of Linux.

    > SuSe perhaps? or maybe Slackware....those are the only
    > others I know that use RPMS other than Red Hat of course....but this

    Slackware uses .tar.gz , but if you install alien, every distribution
    can use any packet system...even win .cab files if wanted.

    > doesn't look to be a RH system (unless you've done some strange command
    > line prompt changes).

    That's the first thing he should've done.

    You could have told him to go to http://www.kernel.org/

    --
    Mathematicians do it in theory.
    Davorin Vlahovic, Jul 13, 2003
  6. In article <>, cowboyz wrote:

    > sorry. it is LindowsOS 3. soon to be thrown out the window. Can't
    > do *anything* on it without going to get something else that is missing.
    > If I could get my hands on Mandrake then this would be outta here.

    Get first few Debian disks, boot your computer, connect to the web and
    the install will just download the things you need.

    --
    Mathematicians do it in theory.
    Davorin Vlahovic, Jul 13, 2003
  7. cowboyz

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:13:03 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > I don't have a linux directory there and don't know what teh "source
    > code for the kernel" is and where to get it from. I assume that I
    > already have it somewhere.

    It's on one of the Discs you used to install your particular version of
    Linux in the first place.

    It should be installed if you opted to install the Kernel development
    suite of software.

    I suggest that you go back and check what you installed.

    For RedHat 9 try...

    KDE-Start/System Settings/Add-Remove Applications. and scroll down to near
    the bottom where it has the Kernel development stuff listed.

    Lennier

    --
    I specifically DENY Xtra, and Telecom NZ Ltd, and all other subsidiaries
    of Telecom NZ Ltd, the right to use the contents of this digital
    Lennier, Nov 21, 2003