Getting a USA phone number

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Tony Kay, Jun 12, 2005.

  1. Tony Kay

    Tony Kay Guest

    I noticed in passing a while back in one of the topics a reference to
    getting sip numbers in the USA, but have entirely forgotten which
    topic it was in.

    I have had a look at some of the VOIP service providers in the UK, but
    they seem to offer only UK-based numbers. Do you have to subscribe to
    a US-based provider to get a US number?

    I'd be very grateful for any help with getting a low-cost or free US
    number so people ringing me from the US from non-VOIP phones can do so
    at low cost.

    Thanks

    Tony
    Tony Kay
    *** USE ONLY THE FOLLOWING FOR EMAIL ***
    tkay11-at-excite.com
    London UK

    Tony Kay, Jun 12, 2005

  2. Tony Kay

    Dave Gill Guest

    Tony Kay <> wrote:

    > I noticed in passing a while back in one of the topics a reference to
    > getting sip numbers in the USA, but have entirely forgotten which
    > topic it was in.
    >
    > I have had a look at some of the VOIP service providers in the UK, but
    > they seem to offer only UK-based numbers. Do you have to subscribe to
    > a US-based provider to get a US number?
    >
    > I'd be very grateful for any help with getting a low-cost or free US
    > number so people ringing me from the US from non-VOIP phones can do so
    > at low cost.

    If you get a VoIP number from a UK VoIP provider who issues proper SIP
    numbers, like Sipgate or Gradwell (but not JustDialVoIP or a Vonage
    standard account), you can then get yourself a US (Washington State)
    number from IPKall.com and forward it to your SIP address (for free).

    Dave Gill, Jun 12, 2005

  3. Tony Kay

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Tony Kay wrote:
    > I noticed in passing a while back in one of the topics a reference
    > to getting sip numbers in the USA, but have entirely forgotten which
    > topic it was in.
    >
    > I have had a look at some of the VOIP service providers in the UK,
    > but they seem to offer only UK-based numbers. Do you have to
    > subscribe to a US-based provider to get a US number?
    >
    > I'd be very grateful for any help with getting a low-cost or free US
    > number so people ringing me from the US from non-VOIP phones can do
    > so at low cost.

    You can get a free Washington State (360 area code) number from
    www.ipkall.com and forward this to your UK account. I have one on my
    Sipgate number and it works fine. My friends there have a plan on their
    landline with inclusive calls to any US number included so they can call
    me for free..!

    If you specifically need an area code other than 360 then you can get
    these from other suppliers but they are unlikely to be free.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 12, 2005
  4. Tony Kay

    Tony Kay Guest

    "
    "If you specifically need an area code other than 360 then you can get
    "these from other suppliers but they are unlikely to be free.
    "Ivor

    In uk.telecom.voip, (Dave Gill)
    wrote:
    "If you get a VoIP number from a UK VoIP provider who issues proper SIP
    "numbers, like Sipgate or Gradwell (but not JustDialVoIP or a Vonage
    "standard account), you can then get yourself a US (Washington State)
    "number from IPKall.com and forward it to your SIP address (for free).

    Thanks, Dave and Ivor. That looks pretty good. I'll check it out.

    Tony Kay, Jun 12, 2005
  5. Vonage can sell you a virtual number in any area code. Cost is
    GBP3.00/month.

    A.

    Adrian Auer-Hudson, Jun 12, 2005
  6. Tony Kay wrote:
    > I'd be very grateful for any help with getting a low-cost or free US
    > number so people ringing me from the US from non-VOIP phones can do so
    > at low cost.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tony

    I have a number via IPKall.com too, have had it routed to my sipgate
    number no problem, also no problem with FWD.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jun 12, 2005
  7. Tony Kay

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Dave Gill writes

    >If you get a VoIP number from a UK VoIP provider who issues proper SIP
    >numbers, like Sipgate or Gradwell (but not JustDialVoIP or a Vonage
    >standard account), you can then get yourself a US (Washington State)
    >number from IPKall.com and forward it to your SIP address (for free).

    Why are you suggesting that an IPKall number can't be forward to a
    JustDialVoIP number?

    David

    David Floyd, Jun 13, 2005
  8. Tony Kay

    Dave Gill Guest

    David Floyd <> wrote:

    > Why are you suggesting that an IPKall number can't be forward to a
    > JustDialVoIP number?

    I'm not sure the JDV username I have could be used as part of a valid
    SIP address. If it can then JDV would be an option too.

    Dave Gill, Jun 13, 2005
  9. Tony Kay

    Rob Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Tony Kay wrote:
    >
    >> I'd be very grateful for any help with getting a low-cost or free US
    >> number so people ringing me from the US from non-VOIP phones can do so
    >> at low cost.

    I have a New York number provided free by stanaphone (www.stanaphone.com).

    Rob

    Rob, Jun 13, 2005
  10. Tony Kay

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> Tony Kay wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd be very grateful for any help with getting a low-cost or free
    >>> US number so people ringing me from the US from non-VOIP phones
    >>> can do so at low cost.

    > I have a New York number provided free by stanaphone
    > (www.stanaphone.com).

    Does it forward to an existing SIP account such as Sipgate or do you have
    to have an account with them..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 13, 2005
  11. > > I have a New York number provided free by stanaphone
    > > (www.stanaphone.com).

    > Does it forward to an existing SIP account such as Sipgate or do you have
    > to have an account with them..?

    You need an account @sip.stanaphone.com
    you can choose between 5-6 area codes
    it is free for incoming calls, account obsoleted if inactive >45 days

    Philippe

    Philippe Deleye, Jun 13, 2005
  12. Tony Kay

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Philippe Deleye writes
    >> > I have a New York number provided free by stanaphone
    >> > (www.stanaphone.com).

    >> Does it forward to an existing SIP account such as Sipgate or do you have
    >> to have an account with them..?

    >You need an account @sip.stanaphone.com
    >you can choose between 5-6 area codes
    >it is free for incoming calls, account obsoleted if inactive >45 days

    You can have calls forwarded to any phone number which are chargeable at
    the normal call rates.

    Voicemail can be forwarded as email.

    David

    David Floyd, Jun 13, 2005
  13. Tony Kay

    jamestkirk

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    The best voip service

    You should get a free US phone number from www.freedigits.com. I've been using them for quite a long time. Also, they have a free fax at www.faxdigits.com. Can't beat free.

    jamestkirk, Nov 4, 2006
  14. Tony Kay

    call to

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Costa Rica
    Free Number

    Hi, I found out a great benefit to my comfi calling card that has no extra cost or monthly fees on smartphonecallingcards.com

    Personal USA Toll Free Number
    Redirect 1-800 number to any phone number in the world
    USA calling international is very low cost

    Personal USA Number
    Assign a US number to redirect to any number in the world -
    Phone USA number to reach your international friend
    Give yourself a US number for business
    World calling

    call to, Feb 17, 2010
  15. Tony Kay

    nelix

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Dear Sirs,

    I will to know the process to forward my USA number that I get from:phone.ipkall.com I want it to ring on my number.

    Kindest regards

    Nelix

    nelix, Jun 25, 2010