    excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
    come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
    which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

    John, Aug 16, 2007

  2. John

    RL Guest

    John wrote:
    > I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
    > excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
    > come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
    > which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

    For in-store purchases, including custom built systems, PB Tech
    (www.pbtech.co.nz) is the one I recommend. Been buying from them since
    1994. Their prices are usually fairly good, not usually as cheap as the
    lowest-priced stores on Pricespy, but they do have physical stores, and
    do provide service. Certainly they should be able to beat the price of
    Ascent, as Ascent includes delivery in their prices. Remember, Ascent
    lists GST-inclusive prices by default, most other stores are exclusing GST.

    RL

    RL, Aug 16, 2007

  3. In message <1187235423.972286@ftpsrv1>, John wrote:

    > I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
    > excluding the monitor.

    I got both my Shuttle boxes through Recycled Technology
    <http://www.recycledtechnology.co.nz/>. The first one they put together for
    me, the second one I assembled myself. They've been very good with me
    throughout.

    They have shops in Hamilton and Rotorua.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 16, 2007
  4. John

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    RL wrote:
    > For in-store purchases, including custom built systems, PB Tech
    > (www.pbtech.co.nz) is the one I recommend. Been buying from them since
    > 1994. Their prices are usually fairly good, not usually as cheap as
    > the lowest-priced stores on Pricespy

    True. But... recently my brother bought a $580 PC from PBTech, nothing
    special but not a terrible machine either, an Athlon X2 3600, 1GB ram, 160gb
    hdd, dvd re-writer, on-board nvidia gfx, cheapest case possible etc., no
    keyboard, mouse, monitor or OS.

    Every single component on the machine could be had for cheaper from someone
    else on PriceSpy, however no single vendor on PriceSpy could match the price
    of the whole system. I think we worked out that we could have build it for
    about $75 less by buying each component from the cheapest vendor selling
    that particular item, but the shipping costs of buying all parts seperately
    far outweighed that $75ish saving.

    Nik Coughlin, Aug 16, 2007
  5. John

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
    >excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
    >come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
    >which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

    try pp.co.nz you even chat with them on icq

    Craig Sutton, Aug 16, 2007
  6. John

    Sleuth Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
    >excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
    >come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
    >which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

    Try Eden Computers - highly recommend. Been using their services for about 5
    years or so.

    http://www.edencomputers.co.nz/c.aspx

    Sleuth, Aug 16, 2007
  7. John

    Greg House Guest

    Also www.pp.co.nz good prices..

    Greg House, Aug 16, 2007
  8. John

    Greg House Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:30:09 +1200, RL <> wrote:

    >John wrote:
    >> I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
    >> excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
    >> come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
    >> which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

    >For in-store purchases, including custom built systems, PB Tech
    >(www.pbtech.co.nz) is the one I recommend. Been buying from them since
    >1994. Their prices are usually fairly good, not usually as cheap as the
    >lowest-priced stores on Pricespy, but they do have physical stores, and
    >do provide service. Certainly they should be able to beat the price of
    >Ascent, as Ascent includes delivery in their prices. Remember, Ascent
    >lists GST-inclusive prices by default, most other stores are exclusing GST.
    >
    >RL

    And also the Famous Quay Computers, been around longer than most, like also Ascent, Problem with PB
    Tech is the prices are different from store to store..

    Greg House, Aug 16, 2007
  9. John

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
    >excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
    >come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
    >which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

    Keep rubbing your lucky rabbit's foot after whoever you choose to do the
    job, and don't get built on a Friday in the North Island at least.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Aug 16, 2007
  10. John

    EMB Guest

    Sleuth wrote:
    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
    >> excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
    >> come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
    >> which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.
    >>

    > Try Eden Computers - highly recommend. Been using their services for about 5
    > years or so.
    >
    > http://www.edencomputers.co.nz/c.aspx

    I'll never make another purchase from them after the warranty and
    communication hassles I have had.

    EMB, Aug 16, 2007
  11. John

    RL Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Sleuth wrote:
    >> Try Eden Computers - highly recommend. Been using their services for
    >> about 5 years or so.
    >>
    >> http://www.edencomputers.co.nz/c.aspx

    > I'll never make another purchase from them after the warranty and
    > communication hassles I have had.

    I've had similar bad experiences when work used to buy through them. I
    also won't buy from them. They used to have a Web site which included
    pricing trends on items (not sure if they still do), so their Web site
    was useful, but I'd always buy elsewhere (PB Tech).

    RL

    RL, Aug 16, 2007
  12. John

    Ross Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:22:41 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >"John" <> wrote in message
    >>I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
    >>excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
    >>come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
    >>which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

    >Keep rubbing your lucky rabbit's foot after whoever you choose to do the
    >job, and don't get built on a Friday in the North Island at least.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    www.pcgear.co.nz in Dunedin have good prices.
    Have bought 2 'Black Beauty' systems from them over the past couple of
    years.

    Ross, Aug 16, 2007
  13. John

    Tony Guest

    John wrote:
    > I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
    > excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
    > come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
    > which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

    Ascent is excellent.

    Tony, Aug 16, 2007
  14. John

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Ross" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:22:41 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    >>"John" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
    >>>excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
    >>>come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and
    >>>www.c1com.co.nz
    >>>which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

    >>Keep rubbing your lucky rabbit's foot after whoever you choose to do the
    >>job, and don't get built on a Friday in the North Island at least.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge

    > www.pcgear.co.nz in Dunedin have good prices.
    > Have bought 2 'Black Beauty' systems from them over the past couple of
    > years.

    I bought a good graphics card from him not long before he opened his shop in
    Dunedin - if he's still the same guy running it.
    Seems to be a good honest guy.

    A place in Dunedin to avoid are the idiots at PC Source.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Aug 16, 2007
  15. John

    thingy Guest

    John wrote:
    > I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
    > excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
    > come across two PC building websites, www.ascent.co.nz, and www.c1com.co.nz
    > which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

    ascent
    pp.co.nz
    Quay
    Cyclone

    (not in any particular order)

    pp.co.nz will probably be the best priced....I think they charge $65 to
    assemble on top of what they list the parts for. So for that sort of
    cost you get to pick precisely the bits you want...Ascent will probably
    be similar. Quay and Cyclone used to offer a base machine and then the
    bits you wanted to upgrade to were a bit over priced....but I have not
    dealt with them in a while so check.

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Aug 17, 2007
  16. John

    neutrino Guest

    On Aug 16, 3:42 pm, "John" <> wrote:
    > I am looking at getting a PC box built up , probably at around $1500
    > excluding the monitor. Can anyone recommend a good company. I have sofar
    > come across two PC building websites,www.ascent.co.nz, andwww.c1com.co.nz
    > which look good, but where do most people buy their PCs from these days.

    Visit www.pcsale.co.nz pick and customise your pc,
    then compare specs, with same or similar from anywhere else,
    and compare cost. I can definetely recommend them for Pc's and their
    friendly assistance/service.

    neutrino, Aug 17, 2007
  17. John

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2007-08-16, Nik Coughlin <> wrote:
    > RL wrote:
    >> For in-store purchases, including custom built systems, PB Tech
    >> (www.pbtech.co.nz) is the one I recommend. Been buying from them since
    >> 1994. Their prices are usually fairly good, not usually as cheap as
    >> the lowest-priced stores on Pricespy

    > True. But... recently my brother bought a $580 PC from PBTech, nothing
    > special but not a terrible machine either, an Athlon X2 3600, 1GB ram, 160gb
    > hdd, dvd re-writer, on-board nvidia gfx, cheapest case possible etc., no
    > keyboard, mouse, monitor or OS.
    >
    > Every single component on the machine could be had for cheaper from someone
    > else on PriceSpy, however no single vendor on PriceSpy could match the price
    > of the whole system. I think we worked out that we could have build it for
    > about $75 less by buying each component from the cheapest vendor selling
    > that particular item, but the shipping costs of buying all parts seperately
    > far outweighed that $75ish saving.

    $75 labour to build (and presumably test) a pc is a good price.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Sep 11, 2007
  18. On 11 Sep 2007 09:51:33 GMT, Jasen Betts <> wrote in

    > On 2007-08-16, Nik Coughlin <> wrote:
    >> RL wrote:
    >>> For in-store purchases, including custom built systems, PB Tech
    >>> (www.pbtech.co.nz) is the one I recommend. Been buying from them since
    >>> 1994. Their prices are usually fairly good, not usually as cheap as
    >>> the lowest-priced stores on Pricespy

    >> True. But... recently my brother bought a $580 PC from PBTech, nothing
    >> special but not a terrible machine either, an Athlon X2 3600, 1GB ram, 160gb
    >> hdd, dvd re-writer, on-board nvidia gfx, cheapest case possible etc., no
    >> keyboard, mouse, monitor or OS.
    >>
    >> Every single component on the machine could be had for cheaper from someone
    >> else on PriceSpy, however no single vendor on PriceSpy could match the price
    >> of the whole system. I think we worked out that we could have build it for
    >> about $75 less by buying each component from the cheapest vendor selling
    >> that particular item, but the shipping costs of buying all parts seperately
    >> far outweighed that $75ish saving.

    > $75 labour to build (and presumably test) a pc is a good price.

    Paradigm do it for $65.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is
    it considered a hostage situation?

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 11, 2007
  19. John

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On 11 Sep 2007 09:51:33 GMT, Jasen Betts <> wrote in

    > > > True. But... recently my brother bought a $580 PC from PBTech,
    > > > nothing special but not a terrible machine either, an Athlon X2
    > > > 3600, 1GB ram, 160gb hdd, dvd re-writer, on-board nvidia gfx,
    > > > cheapest case possible etc., no keyboard, mouse, monitor or OS.
    > > >
    > > > Every single component on the machine could be had for cheaper
    > > > from someone else on PriceSpy, however no single vendor on
    > > > PriceSpy could match the price of the whole system. I think we
    > > > worked out that we could have build it for about $75 less by
    > > > buying each component from the cheapest vendor selling that
    > > > particular item, but the shipping costs of buying all parts
    > > > seperately far outweighed that $75ish saving.

    > > $75 labour to build (and presumably test) a pc is a good price.

    > Paradigm do it for $65.

    Hmm, yeah. However their individual prices, while they can be good, aren't
    the cheapest on the NZ PC store scene (which was the point of the previous
    comments).
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.