Get yer Vista sticker now

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Thor, Apr 3, 2006.

  1. Thor

    Thor Guest

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:53:56 -0700, Phstpok wrote:

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=2802
    >
    > No fooling, Microsoft is prepping new Windows Vista Capable stickers for
    > PCs, in anticipation of the release of the 50 million lines of Vista code
    > to business users (end of 2006) and consumers (beginning of 2007 if all
    > goes well).

    Whoopie fly the balloons, you obviously have a lot of faith in them since
    you use thunderbird rather than the awesome outlook express.
    Thor, Apr 3, 2006

  2. Beware of Vista it is the first step in Microsoft's plan to make you
    the untrusted person in your own computer and severely limit your
    freedom to use your computer as you want.

    Patrick
    Patrick FitzGerald, Apr 3, 2006

  3. Thor

    Allistar Guest

    Patrick FitzGerald wrote:

    > Beware of Vista it is the first step in Microsoft's plan to make you
    > the untrusted person in your own computer and severely limit your
    > freedom to use your computer as you want.

    I heard the same about XP.

    > Patrick

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Apr 3, 2006
  4. On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:18:50 +1200, Allistar <> wrote:

    >I heard the same about XP.

    I don't think so

    M$ofts very nasty Palladium type plans were not that far advanced when
    XP was released.

    As well as making you an untrusted person in your own computer,
    Vista, when fully developed, will use most of the *grunt* of your
    computer to deny you the freedom to use the hardware as you want to.

    Patrick
    Patrick FitzGerald, Apr 4, 2006
  5. Thor

    Allistar Guest

    Patrick FitzGerald wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:18:50 +1200, Allistar <> wrote:
    >

    >>I heard the same about XP.

    > I don't think so
    >

    > M$ofts very nasty Palladium type plans were not that far advanced when
    > XP was released.
    >

    > As well as making you an untrusted person in your own computer,
    > Vista, when fully developed, will use most of the *grunt* of your
    > computer to deny you the freedom to use the hardware as you want to.

    Doesn't both me, I've been using Linux as a desktop and server for nearly 4
    years now. I'm not going back.

    > Patrick

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Apr 4, 2006
  6. On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 12:17:30 +1200, Allistar <> wrote:

    >Doesn't both me, I've been using Linux as a desktop and server for nearly 4
    >years now. I'm not going back.

    Sadly, Allistar , Linux won't save you. Micro$oft are going to put
    their nasty security plans into action through the hardware where
    they can.t be by passed with software .

    Patrick
    Patrick FitzGerald, Apr 4, 2006
  7. Thor

    Phstpok Guest

    --

    rob

    phstpok - the friendly alien

    last surviving member of a race of mentors and idiots

    www.phstpok.com

    try the alien quiz

    www.phstpok.com/quiz

    Phstpok, Apr 4, 2006
  8. Thor

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Patrick FitzGerald <> wrote:

    |Sadly, Allistar , Linux won't save you. Micro$oft are going to put
    |their nasty security plans into action through the hardware where
    |they can.t be by passed with software .

    You appear to be saying that:

    Windows won't run on hardware that isn't TCPA compliant.

    Linux won't run on hardware that is TCPA compliant. (Although I bet it'll
    be hacked in pretty short order.)

    Fortunately, hardware vendors' desire to make a buck in whatever niche can
    be exploited will save Linux users. We'll see the emergence of two hardware
    lines: One for Windows, and one for Linux.

    Actually, the above is simply pointing out the flaw in your argument.
    In reality, it is unlikely to happen. Only some functions such as HD DVD
    decoding will require the TCPA hardware. Basic OS functions will not, so the
    same hardware can be used for both OSes. Either TCPA will be cracked in
    short order, or the hardware manufacturers will write TCPA compliant drivers
    for Linux.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Apr 4, 2006
  9. Thor

    BrianM Guest

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 14:21:35 +1000, Patrick FitzGerald wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 12:17:30 +1200, Allistar <> wrote:
    >

    >>Doesn't both me, I've been using Linux as a desktop and server for
    >>nearly 4 years now. I'm not going back.

    > Sadly, Allistar , Linux won't save you. Micro$oft are going to put their
    > nasty security plans into action through the hardware where they can.t
    > be by passed with software .
    >

    > Patrick

    To do that they would have to control all the existing processor makers.
    I thought that VIA (Techologies Ltd) would stay away from the sheep
    mentality, but they also added their name to the TCPA.
    Mainland Chinese CPU's anyone ?

    cheers
    BrianM
    BrianM, Apr 4, 2006
  10. For the low down on just how nasty the plans Micro$oft intends to
    bring in under the strait-jacket of TCPA read

    "Digital rights management gone Mad"

    Juha Sararinen

    NZ PC World , April 2006, page 13

    Patrick
    Patrick FitzGerald, Apr 4, 2006
  11. On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:10:53 GMT, BrianM <> wrote:

    >Mainland Chinese CPU's anyone ?

    That will not save you from Micro$oft's nasty Palladium type plans.

    I imagine that regimes like China would be drooling about the control
    they could exercise over their subjects with TCPA compliant computers

    And it will not take long for some so called democratic governments to
    realize that they too can shut down discussion and suppress
    information which might embarrass them via TCPA

    Patrick
    Patrick FitzGerald, Apr 4, 2006
  12. Thor

    Allistar Guest

    Patrick FitzGerald wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 12:17:30 +1200, Allistar <> wrote:
    >

    >>Doesn't both me, I've been using Linux as a desktop and server for nearly
    >>4 years now. I'm not going back.

    > Sadly, Allistar , Linux won't save you. Micro$oft are going to put
    > their nasty security plans into action through the hardware where
    > they can.t be by passed with software .

    Unless they purchase all hardware manufacturers I can't see that happening.
    I'm sure Linux would be "signed" under the new hardware anyway, otherwise
    there'd be a court battle much bigger than the Netscape/IE war of days gone
    by.

    > Patrick

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Apr 4, 2006
  13. Thor

    Phstpok Guest

    Thor wrote:

    >On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:53:56 -0700, Phstpok wrote:
    >

    >>http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=2802
    >>
    >>No fooling, Microsoft is prepping new Windows Vista Capable stickers for
    >>PCs, in anticipation of the release of the 50 million lines of Vista code
    >>to business users (end of 2006) and consumers (beginning of 2007 if all
    >>goes well).
    >>

    > Whoopie fly the balloons, you obviously have a lot of faith in them since
    >you use thunderbird rather than the awesome outlook express.

    Did your not notice the satirycal tone?

    Phstpok, Apr 4, 2006
  14. Thor

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Patrick,

    > Beware of Vista it is the first step in Microsoft's plan to make you
    > the untrusted person in your own computer and severely limit your
    > freedom to use your computer as you want.

    this is going to be a stressfull day, so can you pass some of that shit you
    been smoking over here please ;)

    Steven H

    the madGeek
    Steven H, Apr 4, 2006