Get Opera browser for Free, while it last

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trax, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. Trax

    Trax Guest

    Trax, Aug 30, 2005

  2. Trax

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:34:20 -0700, Trax wrote:

    >Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    >http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    Thanks, I had a few registrations but now have more PCs, so this is a
    great find.

    I am impressed the codes are for Win, Linux, Solaris even FreeBSD all of
    which I have at home :)

    Me
    why?, Aug 30, 2005

  3. why? wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:34:20 -0700, Trax wrote:
    >

    >>Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    >>http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    > Thanks, I had a few registrations but now have more PCs, so this is a
    > great find.
    >
    > I am impressed the codes are for Win, Linux, Solaris even FreeBSD all of
    > which I have at home :)
    >
    > Me

    So it won't be FREE after a time? Hmm, can't see how they can start
    charging when all the competition is free. Or do you mean the
    version with the adverts/no adverts?
    **SS**
    secret squiddle, Aug 30, 2005
  4. secret squiddle wrote:
    > why? wrote:
    >> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:34:20 -0700, Trax wrote:
    >>

    >>>Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    >>>http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    >> Thanks, I had a few registrations but now have more PCs, so this is a
    >> great find.
    >>
    >> I am impressed the codes are for Win, Linux, Solaris even FreeBSD all of
    >> which I have at home :)
    >>
    >> Me

    > So it won't be FREE after a time? Hmm, can't see how they can start
    > charging when all the competition is free. Or do you mean the
    > version with the adverts/no adverts?

    Go there.

    Give them a name/email.

    Select your platform.

    You get a reg code.

    Apply it to Help/Register in Opera.

    No more Opera Ad Box.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 30, 2005
  5. Trax wrote:
    > Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    > http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    Never tried Opera. Sure as hell never will if they're charging for it
    and all the competition's programs are free.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 30, 2005
  6. Trax

    Bob C Guest

    >> Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    >> http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    > Never tried Opera. Sure as hell never will if they're charging for it and
    > all the competition's programs are free.

    There is a free version with small (fairly unobtrusive) adverts in the
    header section; the registered version, for which you pay a fee, has no
    adverts. Opera appear to be giving away registration codes for the
    non-advert version.
    Bob C, Aug 30, 2005
  7. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Trax wrote:
    >> Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    >> http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    > Never tried Opera. Sure as hell never will if they're charging for it
    > and all the competition's programs are free.

    It's an excellent browser; was my primary for years until FF just edged
    it out mostly by virtue of the Extensions customizability.

    It's been available free with a small ad box in the upper right corner
    or paid-for with no ad box. This free registration removed the ad box
    from the free version.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 30, 2005
  8. Trax

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-08-30, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > Trax wrote:
    >> Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    >> http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    > Never tried Opera. Sure as hell never will if they're charging for it
    > and all the competition's programs are free.

    Is there competition for 'Opera'? I can see programs that try to do the
    same job, but they don't do it so well. At any price. (I've been using
    Opera since version 5 (now 8.02) and haven't paid a penny; the adverts that
    give Opera their income are not intrusive, and from time to time are
    actually interesting).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 30, 2005
  9. Trax

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:28:38 +0100, secret squiddle wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:34:20 -0700, Trax wrote:
    >>

    >>>Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    >>>http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    >> Thanks, I had a few registrations but now have more PCs, so this is a
    >> great find.
    >>
    >> I am impressed the codes are for Win, Linux, Solaris even FreeBSD all of
    >> which I have at home :)
    >>
    >> Me

    >So it won't be FREE after a time? Hmm, can't see how they can start

    Depends on how you look at it Opera was free with adverts, pay for a key
    to remove adverts.

    The current offer limited time is a free key without paying.

    >charging when all the competition is free. Or do you mean the

    Opera have charged for a while which isn't an issue.

    >version with the adverts/no adverts?

    Sort of like, getting a free key to remove adverts if you follow the
    link

    >**SS**

    Me
    why?, Aug 30, 2005
  10. Trax

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:48:53 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:

    >Trax wrote:
    >> Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    >> http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    >Never tried Opera. Sure as hell never will if they're charging for it
    >and all the competition's programs are free.

    You can try it / use it for free with the quite reasonable ad box.

    Me
    why?, Aug 30, 2005
  11. Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2005-08-30, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >> Trax wrote:
    >>> Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    >>> http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    >> Never tried Opera. Sure as hell never will if they're charging for it
    >> and all the competition's programs are free.

    > Is there competition for 'Opera'? I can see programs that try to do the
    > same job, but they don't do it so well. At any price. (I've been using
    > Opera since version 5 (now 8.02) and haven't paid a penny; the adverts that

    I'd been using it from, IIRD, 5.02. Now Firefox is my primary browser.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 30, 2005
  12. Trax

    trout Guest

    Trax wrote:

    > Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    > http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    Thanks. Nothing better than Free Stuff.
    Download's going pretty slow, right now, though.
    --
    I guess there's a *few* people reading this Useless Newsgroup.
    trout, Aug 31, 2005
  13. Trax

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:37:29 -0500, trout <> wrote:

    > Trax wrote:
    >
    >> Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    >> http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    > Thanks. Nothing better than Free Stuff.
    > Download's going pretty slow, right now, though.

    Not sure of this one. Has a sweedish accent.

    Old Gringo.
    Old Gringo, Aug 31, 2005
  14. Trax

    wrote:

    >Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    >http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    Got it. Thank you for the heads up.

    Ken
    , Aug 31, 2005
  15. Trax

    samuel Guest

    samuel, Aug 31, 2005
  16. Trax

    Old Gringo Guest

    Trax wrote:
    > Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    > http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    Thank You.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Old Gringo, Aug 31, 2005
  17. Trax

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Trax wrote:
    > Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    > http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    Okay. Done that. Now, first configuration question: I set up a test POP3
    email account. How can I turn off the preview pane? I'm usually pretty good
    with menus, but I can't find that option anywhere. I HATE preview panes in
    email. I would much prefer having the email open in a separate page.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 31, 2005
  18. Trax

    trout Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Trax wrote:
    >> Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    >> http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    > Okay. Done that. Now, first configuration question: I set up a test
    > POP3 email account. How can I turn off the preview pane? I'm usually
    > pretty good with menus, but I can't find that option anywhere. I HATE
    > preview panes in email. I would much prefer having the email open in
    > a separate page.

    So, double-clicking is too much work?
    --
    Yeah, I'm still emailing myself, and looking, too.
    trout, Aug 31, 2005
  19. Trax

    Toolman Tim Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:20:57 -0700, trout <> wrote:

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Trax wrote:
    >>> Opera turn'd 10 and is giving away free registrations
    >>> http://my.opera.com/community/party/ till they stop partying :)

    >> Okay. Done that. Now, first configuration question: I set up a test
    >> POP3 email account. How can I turn off the preview pane? I'm usually
    >> pretty good with menus, but I can't find that option anywhere. I HATE
    >> preview panes in email. I would much prefer having the email open in
    >> a separate page.

    > So, double-clicking is too much work?

    I think you misunderstood. I WANT to double-click. I DON'T want email
    shown onscreen arbitrarily in a preview pane.

    --
    You will be asphyxiated. Resistance is floor tile.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 31, 2005
  20. Trax

    trout Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:20:57 -0700, trout <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:

    >>> Okay. Done that. Now, first configuration question: I set up a test
    >>> POP3 email account. How can I turn off the preview pane? I'm usually
    >>> pretty good with menus, but I can't find that option anywhere. I
    >>> HATE preview panes in email. I would much prefer having the email
    >>> open in a separate page.

    >> So, double-clicking is too much work?

    > I think you misunderstood. I WANT to double-click. I DON'T want email
    > shown onscreen arbitrarily in a preview pane.

    Ah, then that would be View; Display, List Only.
    --
    Wheee! I'm a Ten-minute Ekspurt.
    trout, Aug 31, 2005