    a 5 year old child; better to get a battery pack.
    charge/temp sensors, chips, trickle charge, etc. and other bs.

    C)use Alkaline D)use Lithium

    Mr.Bolshoyhuy, Oct 22, 2006

  2. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    AustinMN Guest

    Mr.Bolshoyhuy wrote:
    > NiMh are evil!
    >
    > My brand new NiMh batteries were charged over night.
    > One leaked and melted the plastic bag it was in.
    > Thank god it wasnt inside the camera.
    > They did feel hot after charging.
    > I have a $10 charger which came with 4 2700 AA.

    Ah, ther is your problem. A $10 charger (assuming U.S. $) is junk.
    Get a good one; they don't cost much more. If you use 4 HiMH
    batteries, and cycle them about 5 times, you'll break even. I've never
    had less than 20 cycles (and that was with a $10 charger).

    > It doesnt shut off when done.

    Yup, charger is the culprit.

    > I am fed up with NiMh, I get same amount of shots as with
    > Alkaline. When I replace them, the camera shuts off several times.

    Get a better charger.

    > I carry lots of them, which takes up space, and
    > I always mix them up. And no, I aint using no marker like
    > a 5 year old child; better to get a battery pack.
    > charge/temp sensors, chips, trickle charge, etc. and other bs.

    > C)use Alkaline D)use Lithium

    A) Get another charger. Accept that the NiMH batteries you have left
    have been damaged permanently by your cheap charger. Recycle them. DO
    NOT TRASH THEM.

    Austin

    AustinMN, Oct 22, 2006

  3. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    ASAAR Guest

    On 21 Oct 2006 17:01:19 -0700, Mr.Bolshoyhuy who has a history of
    trollish behavior wrote:

    > NiMh are evil!
    >
    > My brand new NiMh batteries were charged over night.
    > One leaked and melted the plastic bag it was in.
    > Thank god it wasnt inside the camera.
    > They did feel hot after charging.
    > I have a $10 charger which came with 4 2700 AA.
    > It doesnt shut off when done.
    > Here is the type of charger(not the same brand).
    > http://www.cybergiftcenter.com/applications/search/itemdetails.asp?ItemNo=18323&sku=C392-DPS1800

    What did you expect? Getting the best bargain from the internet
    is always risky, and bad things have happened from cheap Li-Ion
    batteries too. You've been in this newsgroup long enough to have
    seen dozens of threads warning about using that type of charger.
    But it may not even be the charger's fault. It could be the
    batteries that were the problem. If you wanted to get the worst,
    most dangerous, seriously crappy batteries, how would you go about
    it? You can tell us, since that's exactly what you did. You have
    only yourself to blame.

    > I am fed up with NiMh, I get same amount of shots as with
    > Alkaline. When I replace them, the camera shuts off several times.
    > I carry lots of them, which takes up space, and
    > I always mix them up. And no, I aint using no marker like
    > a 5 year old child; better to get a battery pack.
    > charge/temp sensors, chips, trickle charge, etc. and other bs.

    That's a clear indication that something was wrong with the
    battery or the charger. If you read any of the dozens (more likely
    hundreds) of battery related messages here, you'd have seen that
    NiMH batteries almost always provide twice the life of alkaline
    batteries in modern digital cameras. In older cameras they can last
    more than 4 or 5 times longer. That you got only the same life as
    alkalines provide simply shows that you got what you deserve. You
    really do need to get a new camera that uses Li-Ion battery packs,
    but I'm fully confident that you'll find a way to screw them up too.

    ASAAR, Oct 22, 2006
  4. "Mr.Bolshoyhuy" <> wrote in message
    > NiMh are evil!

    No, I don't think that NiMH batteries are not evil, there just seems to be a
    problem with some "dumb" chargers that are too slow (taking days to fully
    charge higher-capacity batteries) or rapid chargers that are too fast
    (resulting in overheating or overcharging the batteries).

    > My brand new NiMh batteries were charged over night.
    > One leaked and melted the plastic bag it was in.

    There are plastic battery carrying cases available, and that's probably
    better
    than carrying batteries a plastic bag. I've seen battery cases that hold 2
    batteries at a time as well as cases that hold 4 batteries at a time.

    To me, it seems that carrying batteries loosely in a plastic bag is almost
    as risky as carrying them loosely in a pocket.

    > Thank god it wasnt inside the camera.
    > They did feel hot after charging.

    Some fast chargers do make the batteries hot after charging, and it's best
    to let them cool down a bit before putting them in a battery carrying case
    or in the camera.

    > I have a $10 charger which came with 4 2700 AA.
    > It doesnt shut off when done.

    Most chargers should drop down to a trickle charge, even if they don't turn
    fully off after charging is complete.

    > Here is the type of charger(not the same brand).

    http://www.cybergiftcenter.com/applications/search/itemdetails.asp?ItemNo=18323&sku=C392-DPS1800

    I use two different battery chargers...

    Rayovac One Hour Charger model PS4
    XG Charge Pro model CHB-7NSS

    ....with Lenmar AA 2000 mAh, UltraLast AA 2000 mAh, XG AA 2500 mAh, Energizer
    AAA 700 mAh, XG AAA 800 mAh, and Lenmar AAA 850 mAh NiMH batteries--none of
    those have ever leaked or exploded during or after charging.

    > I am fed up with NiMh, I get same amount of shots as with
    > Alkaline. When I replace them, the camera shuts off several times.

    NiMH do self-discharge after a while, so are the replacement batteries fully
    charged?

    Also, if the camera shuts off several times with fully charged replacement
    batteries, that would seem to be a camera firmware defect, rather than a
    battery defect. Some cameras may also require setting the battery type to
    NiMH in the Setup menu, so check this against the cameras manual.

    Finally, if nothing else shows up as flawed, check the battery design
    itself. Some cameras specifically warn against using batteries with a
    completely flat negative battery terminal design.

    > I carry lots of them, which takes up space, and
    > I always mix them up. And no, I aint using no marker like
    > a 5 year old child; better to get a battery pack.
    > charge/temp sensors, chips, trickle charge, etc. and other bs.

    > C)use Alkaline D)use Lithium

    Defintely get another charger, and also get some battery carrying cases for
    the batteries.

    Daniel W. Rouse Jr., Oct 22, 2006
  5. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    Pete D Guest

    What camera by the way. I am using NiMh batteries in my Pentax Ds and they
    are giving me great service.

    Pete D, Oct 22, 2006
  6. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Mr.Bolshoyhuy wrote:
    > NiMh are evil!
    >
    > My brand new NiMh batteries were charged over night.
    > One leaked and melted the plastic bag it was in.
    > Thank god it wasnt inside the camera.
    > They did feel hot after charging.
    > I have a $10 charger which came with 4 2700 AA.
    > It doesnt shut off when done.
    > Here is the type of charger(not the same brand).
    > http://www.cybergiftcenter.com/applications/search/itemdetails.asp?ItemNo=18323&sku=C392-DPS1800
    >
    > I am fed up with NiMh, I get same amount of shots as with
    > Alkaline. When I replace them, the camera shuts off several times.
    > I carry lots of them, which takes up space, and
    > I always mix them up. And no, I aint using no marker like
    > a 5 year old child; better to get a battery pack.
    > charge/temp sensors, chips, trickle charge, etc. and other bs.

    > C)use Alkaline D)use Lithium

    1. There is nothing wrong with a $10 overnight charger providing you
    don't mind the 14+ hours needed to fully charge. The charge rate is low
    and won't hurt the batteries. Either this particular charger or battery
    was defective, most likely the battery.
    2. Lots of people are using NiMH, they are great when used up fairly
    quickly (less than a month in the camera). With later cameras used
    intermittently it might make sense to use alkalines. Quoted discharge
    rates for MiMH are from 1% - 5% per day. This would imply you would see
    75% to as low as 25% of initial capacity after a month of non use. The
    new eneloops by Sanyo might solve this problem.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Oct 22, 2006
  7. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Dave Cohen <> writes:
    > 1. There is nothing wrong with a $10 overnight charger providing you
    > don't mind the 14+ hours needed to fully charge.

    What makes you think this was an overnight charger?

    Paul Rubin, Oct 22, 2006
  8. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:59:11 GMT, Dave Cohen wrote:

    > 2. Lots of people are using NiMH, they are great when used up fairly
    > quickly (less than a month in the camera). With later cameras used
    > intermittently it might make sense to use alkalines. Quoted discharge
    > rates for MiMH are from 1% - 5% per day. This would imply you would see
    > 75% to as low as 25% of initial capacity after a month of non use. The
    > new eneloops by Sanyo might solve this problem.

    They will if the recent full page Eneloop ad I saw is accurate.
    It claimed that a year after being charged, they can retain 85% of
    their initial charge. That's much better (for several reasons) than
    Li-Ion batteries can do. On the other hand, if the camera is used
    so little that many months go by between charges, alkalines would
    probably be more cost effective.

    ASAAR, Oct 22, 2006
  9. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    Pete D Guest

    "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    > Dave Cohen <> writes:
    >> 1. There is nothing wrong with a $10 overnight charger providing you
    >> don't mind the 14+ hours needed to fully charge.

    > What makes you think this was an overnight charger?

    Because he gave a link to an overnight charger that was the same type of
    charger as the one he was using.

    Pete D, Oct 22, 2006
  10. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > Mr.Bolshoyhuy wrote:
    >> NiMh are evil!
    >>
    >> My brand new NiMh batteries were charged over night.
    >> One leaked and melted the plastic bag it was in.
    >> Thank god it wasnt inside the camera.
    >> They did feel hot after charging.
    >> I have a $10 charger which came with 4 2700 AA.
    >> It doesnt shut off when done.
    >> Here is the type of charger(not the same brand).
    >> http://www.cybergiftcenter.com/applications/search/itemdetails.asp?ItemNo=18323&sku=C392-DPS1800
    >>
    >> I am fed up with NiMh, I get same amount of shots as with
    >> Alkaline. When I replace them, the camera shuts off several times.
    >> I carry lots of them, which takes up space, and
    >> I always mix them up. And no, I aint using no marker like
    >> a 5 year old child; better to get a battery pack.
    >> charge/temp sensors, chips, trickle charge, etc. and other bs.

    >> C)use Alkaline D)use Lithium
    >>

    > 1. There is nothing wrong with a $10 overnight charger providing you
    > don't mind the 14+ hours needed to fully charge. The charge rate is
    > low and won't hurt the batteries. Either this particular charger or
    > battery was defective, most likely the battery.
    > 2. Lots of people are using NiMH, they are great when used up fairly
    > quickly (less than a month in the camera). With later cameras used
    > intermittently it might make sense to use alkalines. Quoted discharge
    > rates for MiMH are from 1% - 5% per day. This would imply you would
    > see 75% to as low as 25% of initial capacity after a month of non use.
    > The new eneloops by Sanyo might solve this problem.
    > Dave Cohen

    A decent charger (like the Maha 401 or others)
    and a decent set of NiMH batteries generally
    works very well. Depending on the camera, you
    may need to use NiMH -- they have a much lower
    internal resistance as they discharge than the regular
    alkaline do. On cameras that do not use much
    current, a 1500mah alkaline will work just as well
    as a 1500 mah NiMH. On the other hand, a camera
    like my Minolta 7Hi which pulls close to 2 amps at
    peak, is good for about 20 shots on new alkaline, but
    will go for several hundred on NiMH with the same
    "capacity". NiMH are not good for something that
    only pulls 10 ma and you expect to hold a charge for
    6 months. But for high current, NiMH, NiCd etc
    are much better. But do spend the extra couple
    of $ to get a decent microprocessor based charger
    and good batteries.

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Oct 22, 2006
  11. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    John Turco Guest

    "Daniel W. Rouse Jr." wrote:

    <heavily edited, for brevity>

    > Defintely get another charger, and also get some battery carrying cases for
    > the batteries.

    Hello, Daniel:

    I collect the clear, thin, plastic containers, from my Rayovac "Maximum"
    6-packs of AA and AAA alkaline cells. They snap shut and make for
    convenient, affordable battery holders.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 24, 2006
  12. Mr.Bolshoyhuy

    if Guest

    Dave Cohen <> wrote:
    Quoted discharge
    > rates for NiMH are from 1% - 5% per day. This would imply you would see
    > 75% to as low as 25% of initial capacity after a month of non use.

    I've had NiMH batteries in a rarely-used torch that were still fine after
    about a year. However I do find NiMH a bit random, sometimes the same
    batteries seem to lose their charge alomost immediately, it's as if
    sometimes the charge doesn't "stick". I've heard the same from people using
    them in their cameras.

    Howewer in my mp3 player I use a bunch of AAA NiMH in rotation and have
    noticed no difference between freshly charged ones and ones charged a 2-3
    months ago and haven't had any "dud" charges, so maybe it's a problem
    specific to some individual batteries.

    Re. digital cameras I think the L-Ion ones are a bit of a scam, mine is
    same size & electrical spec. as 3xAAA NiMH yet even a generic one costs
    about 6x the cost of 3 NiMH cells (ok it holds a bit more power but not
    much). The recommended manufacturer's one was being sold at about four
    times as much again, making a total of around 25x markup compared to using
    NiMH. Unfortunately my camera (Panasonic) doesn't give you an NiMH option
    (unlike, say Ricoh) and they have cunningly made the battery compartment
    about 0.5-1mm narrower than an AAA cell so there's no chance of someone
    making a converter either.

    if, Nov 23, 2006