    thing? No crappy Chinese 14-42mm kit lenses. The kits still come
    with the 14-45mm. Considering a separate body and lens will sell for
    more used on Ebay, that's a good deal. No more excuses, P&S'rs!

    RichA, Jul 20, 2010

  2. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Jul 19, 10:15 pm, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > RichA wrote:
    > > New Panasonic G1's being sold off at Henry's for $449.99. And the best
    > > thing?  No crappy Chinese 14-42mm kit lenses.  The kits still come
    > > with the 14-45mm.  Considering a separate body and lens will sell for
    > > more used on Ebay, that's a good deal.  No more excuses, P&S'rs!

    > Yeah but you have to get the red one <g>.
    > $693 US black with 14-42.
    >
    > Who has a good price with the 20mm pancake in black?

    Best price? Buy a G1 and kit lens, keep or dump the kit lens. Buy a
    GF1 + 20mm, sell the GF1 on Ebay. I think you'd come out in positive
    territory.

    Rich, Jul 20, 2010

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:56:44 -0700, Paul Furman <>
    wrote:

    >Rich wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yeah but you have to get the red one<g>.
    >>> $693 US black with 14-42.
    >>>
    >>> Who has a good price with the 20mm pancake in black?

    >> Best price? Buy a G1 and kit lens, keep or dump the kit lens. Buy a
    >> GF1 + 20mm, sell the GF1 on Ebay. I think you'd come out in positive
    >> territory.

    >GF1 looks like a better deal if you want a camera with the pancake.

    G1 is a better deal if you want an EVF. I'm happy with my GF1 but
    there are times when I would prefer a G1 simply because it has an EVF.

    Of course I would prefer an SLR with a good reflex viewfinder to
    either, but that isn't what we are discussing here. If it was, I
    would suggest an Olympus E-620, which is not really that much bigger
    than a Panasonic G1 but is an SLR.

    Bruce, Jul 20, 2010
  4. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > RichA wrote:
    >> New Panasonic G1's being sold off at Henry's for $449.99. And the best
    >> thing? No crappy Chinese 14-42mm kit lenses. The kits still come
    >> with the 14-45mm. Considering a separate body and lens will sell for
    >> more used on Ebay, that's a good deal. No more excuses, P&S'rs!

    > Yeah but you have to get the red one <g>.
    > $693 US black with 14-42.

    They must be trying to get red of them.

    Trying to look red faced at that comment
    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 20, 2010
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:22:42 -0700, Paul Furman <>
    wrote:
    >Bruce wrote:
    >> G1 is a better deal if you want an EVF. I'm happy with my GF1 but
    >> there are times when I would prefer a G1 simply because it has an EVF.

    >Well there's the GH1 which has the video that the G1 lacks but then
    >that's $1,200 with a huge kit lens :-( Both seem too bulky to interest
    >me as a DSLR alternative.

    The G2 has HD video, but it's only 720p.

    >I would be tempted to get the GF1 but the
    >video is only 720p and yeah the add-on viewfinder brings the price back
    >up, plus at $800 with the pancake lens it's still not $450 but is damn
    >near as compact as the shirt-pocket sized LX2. So I haven't got any of them.

    The GF1 is even bulkier with the 14-45mm. The 20mm is a lovely lens
    but you obviously cannot use it for everything. I carry both lenses
    all the time, but would never claim they were pocket sized.

    The new LX5 looks good with a 24-90mm (35mm equivalent) f/2-2.8 Leica
    branded lens.

    Bruce, Jul 20, 2010