    There's that word again. What was it supposed to chuffing mean, again?

    Sun outsources UK support engineers
    40 unchuffed techies
    7 Jul 2004 16:21
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/

    JaR
    Insourced Thug
    JaR, Jul 7, 2004

  2. JaR

    JaR Guest

    JaR wrote:

    > There's that word again. What was it supposed to chuffing mean, again?
    >
    > Sun outsources UK support engineers
    > 40 unchuffed techies
    > 7 Jul 2004 16:21
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/

    And while we're at it. From the same page:

    Big.biz still keen to export jobs
    Offshoring grows like Topsy

    Topsy???

    How does one "grow like Topsy"

    Who or what is this Topsy?

    F'n Brits.

    JaR
    Confused Thug
    JaR, Jul 7, 2004

  3. JaR

    billyw Guest

    billyw, Jul 7, 2004
  4. JaR

    Lost Guest

    From Merriam-Webster on line(www.m-w.com/cgi-
    bin/dictionary)

    Main Entry: chuffed
    Pronunciation: 'ch&ft
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: English dialect chuff pleased, puffed with fat
    British : PROUD, SATISFIED

    Therefor the "unchuffed" techies can't get no satisfaction.

    B)
    Take out the trash befor you email me.
    Lost, Jul 7, 2004
  5. JaR

    JaR Guest

    Lost wrote:
    > From Merriam-Webster on line(www.m-w.com/cgi-
    > bin/dictionary)
    >
    > Main Entry: chuffed
    > Pronunciation: 'ch&ft
    > Function: adjective
    > Etymology: English dialect chuff pleased, puffed with fat
    > British : PROUD, SATISFIED
    >
    > Therefor the "unchuffed" techies can't get no satisfaction.

    I still say brits make stuff up as it pleases them. A short while ago,
    one of them used the term as; "Not chuffing likely" or words to that effect.

    And I still need a def for "Growing like Topsy" :-D

    JaR
    Bargling Thug
    JaR, Jul 7, 2004
  6. JaR

    poco Guest

    Illiterate bastard.
    Topsy is from an American classic of literature, Uncle Tom's Cabin.
    Growing like Topsy means growing uncontrollably, or wild.

    poco, Jul 8, 2004
  7. poco wrote:
    > Illiterate bastard.
    > Topsy is from an American classic of literature, Uncle Tom's Cabin.
    > Growing like Topsy means growing uncontrollably, or wild.

    <Golf clap>
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jul 8, 2004
  8. JaR

    JaR Guest

    poco wrote:

    > Illiterate bastard.

    You better have been smilin' when you typed that, pilgrim.

    > Topsy is from an American classic of literature, Uncle Tom's Cabin.
    > Growing like Topsy means growing uncontrollably, or wild.

    I read that book ~40 years ago. But even if I'd read it more recently, I
    probably still wouldn't have made that connection.

    I still contend that Brits just make that stuff up as needed.

    Furrfu!

    JaR
    JaR, Jul 8, 2004
  9. JaR

    kpg Guest

    kpg, Jul 8, 2004
  10. JaR

    billyw Guest

    dunno.. i dont live in england...

    "kpg" <> wrote in message

    > "billyw" <> wrote in message
    > > # Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\135046.htm (7/8/2004 3:32:12

    PM)

    billyw, Jul 8, 2004
  11. JaR

    billyw Guest

    oh ans you guys dont..

    political correctness for instance..

    "he's vertically challenged" rather.. he's a dwarf.. and ugly to boot...
    it's a fact, lets not pretend!!!!!

    ... sorry getting carried away there

    billyw, Jul 8, 2004
  12. JaR

    JaR Guest

    billyw wrote:
    > oh ans you guys dont..
    >
    > political correctness for instance..
    >
    > "he's vertically challenged" rather.. he's a dwarf.. and ugly to boot...
    > it's a fact, lets not pretend!!!!!

    Yabbut "vertically" and "challenged" are at least real words. They don't
    lose their meaning until some PC twit sticks em together in the same
    sentence. Handicapable for another. Grrr...

    Take "waitperson" for example. WTF is that? And why is the plural not
    "waitpeople", but "waitpersons". But that's a whole 'nother rant.

    JaR
    UnPC Thug
    JaR, Jul 8, 2004
  13. JaR

    JaR Guest

    billyw wrote:

    > dunno.. i dont live in england...

    Hah! You can't name a single country where "English" is actually spoken.

    Except in small enclaves scattered around in various countries.

    JaR
    JaR, Jul 8, 2004
  14. JaR

    billyw Guest

    see.. people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

    billyw, Jul 9, 2004
  15. JaR

    billyw Guest

    tut tut..
    the empire speaks english..
    in fact you are sitting in one of the colonies right now...

    now go get me beer.. there's a good fellow

    billyw, Jul 9, 2004
  16. JaR

    JaR Guest

    billyw wrote:

    > see.. people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

    Look, if you're not going to argue properly, then buy a round. I'll have
    a Maker's Mark on the rocks.

    Furrfu.

    JaR
    Thirsty Thug
    JaR, Jul 9, 2004
  17. JaR

    JaR Guest

    billyw wrote:

    > tut tut..
    > the empire speaks english..
    > in fact you are sitting in one of the colonies right now...

    Oh! So the pidgin being spoken by those louts in Glasgow is English, is
    it? And the incomprehensible jargot spoken by the "gangsta's" and their
    wannabes is also English?

    > now go get me beer.. there's a good fellow

    Screw that, it's your round!

    JaR
    Patient Thug
    JaR, Jul 9, 2004
  18. JaR

    poco Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in message
    > poco wrote:
    >
    > > Illiterate bastard.

    > You better have been smilin' when you typed that, pilgrim.

    I was laughing, actually. At the IB.

    > > Topsy is from an American classic of literature, Uncle Tom's Cabin.
    > > Growing like Topsy means growing uncontrollably, or wild.
    > >

    > I read that book ~40 years ago. But even if I'd read it more recently, I
    > probably still wouldn't have made that connection.

    Most people try to forget this kind of thing, the Topsy story's a little too
    much like Black Sambo in the politically correct community.

    > I still contend that Brits just make that stuff up as needed.

    But Topsy's not British. It's not that they make it up, they sometimes have
    a better memory.

    poco, Jul 9, 2004
  19. JaR

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 8, 2004 "JaR" blathered:

    > billyw wrote:
    >> oh ans you guys dont..
    >>
    >> political correctness for instance..
    >>
    >> "he's vertically challenged" rather.. he's a dwarf.. and ugly to boot...
    >> it's a fact, lets not pretend!!!!!

    > Yabbut "vertically" and "challenged" are at least real words. They don't
    > lose their meaning until some PC twit sticks em together in the same
    > sentence. Handicapable for another. Grrr...
    >
    > Take "waitperson" for example. WTF is that? And why is the plural not
    > "waitpeople", but "waitpersons". But that's a whole 'nother rant.
    >
    > JaR
    > UnPC Thug

    <pointless_rant>
    And what about "Rap Music"? Now *that's* an oxymoron.
    </pointless_rant>

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    TechGeekPro, Jul 9, 2004
  20. JaR

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 8, 2004 "billyw" blathered:

    > see.. people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

    Unless you don't live there, in which case, chuck away.

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    TechGeekPro, Jul 9, 2004