Get activation message after driver update

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Feliks Dzerzhinsky, May 14, 2007.

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, May 14, 2007

  2. The hard drive is a key component in the Vista hardware hash used for
    activation. Much more so than with XP. It sounds like the driver changed
    how the drive was seen so in that sense probably does look like a hardware
    change.

    Not all OEM dvd's are BIOS locked. Only those provided by one of the major
    system builders are. The OEM dvd's sold by retailers like NewEgg certainly
    are not BIOS locked. If your Vista was preinstalled (it doesn't sound like
    it) only then could it be BIOS locked, but otherwise I'm sure its not. When
    a BIOS locked OEM copy is used you should not see activation at all. It
    isn't needed.

    "Feliks Dzerzhinsky" <> wrote in message

    Colin Barnhorst, May 15, 2007

  3. > I used Windows Update to haul down some nvidia SATA drivers for Vista
    > Ultimate 64-bit. Now, I have been getting messages that my hardware has
    > changed and that I need to activate Windows. Vista was installed using
    > an OEM DVD and my understanding is that it is keyed to the motherboard
    > rather than other hardware changes. What makes this so bizarre is that
    > there have been no hardware changes.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Does it actually fail to reactivate?

    Homer J. Simpson, May 15, 2007

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, May 15, 2007
  5. > Haven't tried yet. The fact that this happens due to a driver update
    > and not an actual hardware change, seems like something that would
    > irritate a lot of folks.
    >
    > If I am forced to activate, I hope it tells me I have to call in.
    > Screaming at someone is always so much more satisfying than typing with
    > the caps lock on. ;-)

    Oh, I see...you're inconvenienced enough to want to scream at somebody and
    that'll make you feel superior to Microsoft by pointing out their stupidity.

    Personally, I'd just click the button and carry on with my life, but hey,
    it's a free world.

    Homer J. Simpson, May 15, 2007

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, May 15, 2007
  7. Feliks Dzerzhinsky

    Theo Guest

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky wrote:
    > Actually, it is just that I get so few chances to make a toll-free call
    > to India. Or is it Singapore?
    >
    > I always feel superior to folks who just go through their little scripts
    > while being totally clueless as to the cause of the problem. It is
    > always a bit irritating when dealing with people who think working
    > around the problem is the same as fixing it.
    >
    > - --
    > Iron Feliks

    How can you feel superior talking to a person whose prime
    function in life is to help you fix your problem? The
    people you call for activation are not technical people,
    their mission in life is to help you accomplish a goal -
    activate your system. They are not trying to troubleshoot
    or fix anything!

    If you think ranting and raving at someone who's mission is
    to help you, then I would tend to think you may need some
    serious counseling to work out your problems because
    apparently you have at least one!!!

    Theo, May 15, 2007

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, May 15, 2007
  9. Feliks Dzerzhinsky

    Theo Guest

    Theo, May 15, 2007

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, May 15, 2007
  11. > Actually, their mission isn't to help me fix either my or their problem.
    > Their mission is limit the damage from the problem. Fixing the problem
    > would require and update that prevented Windows from requiring
    > activation after a change of software.
    >
    > Since it is unlikely that I would ever get a chance to converse with the
    > person responsible for the problem, I have to settle for whoever I can
    > converse with.

    That may be so, but it sounds like you're more interested in the opportunity
    to scream at somebody than actually getting the problem fixed.

    So go right ahead, I'm sure your screaming will get them to escalate the
    problem immediately to someone who can actually do something about it.

    Homer J. Simpson, May 15, 2007

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, May 15, 2007
  13. > If it doesn't, I may not actually scream at someone. I have found that
    > speaking softly, forces people to actually listen.

    Well, it's great to know that you have some common sense and decency after
    all.

    > But, I can guarantee that the person I speak with will not find it a
    > pleasant experience.

    I never inferred you had to make it pleasant. All I'm saying is that you're
    much more likely to actually get somewhere if you keep it civilized.
    Helpdesk is a thankless entry-level job and most motivated people don't stay
    there for very long...if you act like a prick, they won't feel particularly
    compelled to go out of their way to help you out or follow up after the
    fact.

    Homer J. Simpson, May 16, 2007

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, May 16, 2007
  15. What you've seen, Feliks, is proof of Einstein's insightful remark that "the
    difference between Genius and Idiocy, is that Genius is limited"!

    This is further emphasized, by a Registry Hack, employed by MS, and
    therefore apparently legal, to expand the Activation Free period to years -
    perhaps even infinitely. I cannot remember where I saw this, but you might
    in your anger be able to smoke it out on your own?

    It may, on reflection, not remain a good idea over time, but may come to
    good use during your cooling-down period(s).

    (It's things like this, that has had me running at least one Linux machine
    for many years now. Not that it negates [E's] remark in any way, but there's
    a healthy difference in the difference.)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 16, 2007
  16. Feliks Dzerzhinsky

    Jim Guest

    > >> Since it is unlikely that I would ever get a chance to converse with the
    > >> person responsible for the problem, I have to settle for whoever I can
    > >> converse with.

    > > That may be so, but it sounds like you're more interested in the opportunity
    > > to scream at somebody than actually getting the problem fixed.

    > > So go right ahead, I'm sure your screaming will get them to escalate the
    > > problem immediately to someone who can actually do something about it.

    > I seriously doubt anyone will do anything about it. It is probably an
    > infrequent occurance and may not be reproduceable.
    >
    > The most likely scenario is that if Vista insists on being activated, I
    > will do it online and go on, but with a much lower level of confidence
    > in it.
    >
    > If it doesn't, I may not actually scream at someone. I have found that
    > speaking softly, forces people to actually listen. But, I can guarantee
    > that the person I speak with will not find it a pleasant experience.
    >
    > In this politically correct world, that may be frowned upon, but if I am
    > going to be inconvenienced, I will share the pain.

    > Iron Feliks

    Hi,

    I just thought I'd add my 2 cents. I, too, enjoy screaming at
    Microsoft. And, those people supposed to be "helping" are actually
    *agents* of the people *causing* the harm. I am tired of having to
    keep reactivating the *same* operating system on the *same* system.
    In fact, I keep the (800) activation number in a file so I have it
    ready to call. Sometimes it can take as long as one-half hour to get
    the new activation code, *and* you have to talk to *several* levels of
    Microsoft "employees." (Representatives all over the world.) I
    usually try to start with a supervisor if I can, but sometimes the
    person who answers the call will actually solve the problem.)
    Upgrading BIOSes, changing drivers, and flashing firmware, all seems
    to speed up the reactivation process. I've always wondered whether
    anyone at Microsoft actually *uses* the products they sell. I have
    better things to do with my time than to call Microsoft every few
    months and yell at somebody. I'd rather be yelling at my wife or my
    dog. <g>

    Jim

    Jim, May 16, 2007
  17. Tony:
    120 days trick, no registry tampering.
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...sta-without-activation-for-free-for-120-days/

    1 year trick (legal, with registry modification) and indefinite time trick
    (illegal, by stopping countdown timers)
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/03/16/how-to-run-windows-vista-without-activation-forever/

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 16, 2007
  18. Good work, Carlos!

    It's far too often that I stumble onto this kind of stuff and forgetting to
    save it as a favorite, perhaps I should come up with a IE plug-in that
    automagically orders the links history into cross-referencable tables - ah,
    but you probably already have a link to something like that?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 16, 2007

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, May 16, 2007
  20. Tony:
    I just keep my favorites neatly organized in folders.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 16, 2007