    Is it a similiar situation here?

    Thanks

    , Dec 1, 2005

  2. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
    > I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.

    If you like the camera, try looking for cheaper batteries on ebay.
    Just type the model number into the search form and you should see
    tons of them. Make sure to include the shipping charge when you do
    price comparisons.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 1, 2005

  3. Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > writes:
    > > Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
    > > I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.

    > If you like the camera, try looking for cheaper batteries on ebay.
    > Just type the model number into the search form and you should see
    > tons of them. Make sure to include the shipping charge when you do
    > price comparisons.

    But wont used batteries not last long?

    I might end up buying an used battery like the one I have

    , Dec 1, 2005
  4. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > > If you like the camera, try looking for cheaper batteries on ebay.

    > But wont used batteries not last long?

    They sell new batteries on ebay. Don't buy used ones.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 1, 2005
  5. Guest

    On 30 Nov 2005 18:47:44 -0800, wrote:

    > My sister got a new camera, so she gave me her old one.
    > Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
    >
    > It is 3.3 megapixels, which is pretty good (I think?)
    >
    > Now the problem is the battery.
    > Fully charge, when I turn the camera on, it says 113minutes.
    > Then after about 15 minutes of use, the battery dies out.
    >
    > I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.
    >
    > Should I get a new battery or a new camera?
    >
    > I had a color ink jet printer, and it ran out of ink, it would cost
    > about 50 for new ink, but I got another printer on sale for about $60.
    > I figure a new printer is better than an old one anyway.
    >
    > Is it a similiar situation here?

    I'd be inclined towards buying a new camera that uses AA batteries. Much cheaper in future to
    replace a set of NiMH AA's than some silly proprietary battery that some manufacturers seem to stick
    to.

    , Dec 1, 2005
  6. Guest

    > I'd be inclined towards buying a new camera that uses AA batteries. Much cheaper in future to
    > replace a set of NiMH AA's than some silly proprietary battery that some manufacturers seem to stick
    > to.

    But at the same time, I dont know much about cameras so I dont know how
    good the camera I have is.

    Is it a good enough camera that I should keep it and pay the extra
    money for batteries?

    , Dec 1, 2005
  7. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > > Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)

    Is this it?
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dscf55v.asp

    > > It is 3.3 megapixels, which is pretty good (I think?)

    It's fine for most purposes.

    Anyway, it's a very old camera and you might find a newer one to be
    more to your liking. The NP-FS11 battery should be easy to find
    though. Looks like there's lots of them in the $10-15 range on ebay
    including shipping. Just search for "NP-FS11".

    Paul Rubin, Dec 1, 2005
  8. Guest

    Yes that looks like the camera I have.

    "Anyway, it's a very old camera and you might find a newer one to be
    more to your liking. "

    I like it for most of the things, the only problem is that when I am
    filming a video, I cant stop it, it goes for 5/10/15 seconds.
    It also seems to come out a bit dark.
    Other than that it seems fine, but then again, I dont use it much.

    "The NP-FS11 battery should be easy to find though. Looks like there's
    lots of them in the $10-15 range on ebay
    including shipping. Just search for "NP-FS11". "

    Cool. Thanks

    , Dec 1, 2005
  9. Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 05:51:25 +0000, grumpy wrote:

    > On 30 Nov 2005 18:47:44 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >> My sister got a new camera, so she gave me her old one.
    >> Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
    >>
    >> It is 3.3 megapixels, which is pretty good (I think?)
    >>
    >> Now the problem is the battery.
    >> Fully charge, when I turn the camera on, it says 113minutes.
    >> Then after about 15 minutes of use, the battery dies out.
    >>
    >> I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.
    >>
    >> Should I get a new battery or a new camera?
    >>
    >> I had a color ink jet printer, and it ran out of ink, it would cost
    >> about 50 for new ink, but I got another printer on sale for about $60.
    >> I figure a new printer is better than an old one anyway.
    >>
    >> Is it a similiar situation here?

    > I'd be inclined towards buying a new camera that uses AA batteries. Much cheaper in future to
    > replace a set of NiMH AA's than some silly proprietary battery that some manufacturers seem to stick
    > to.

    I bought a brand new Li battery for my sons DSC P1 camera off ebay last
    month and it cost £6. If you search the web you could be surprised at the
    price.

    --
    Neil
    Linux Counter 335851

    Neil Ellwood, Dec 1, 2005
  10. wrote:

    > But at the same time, I dont know much about cameras so I dont know
    > how good the camera I have is.
    >
    > Is it a good enough camera that I should keep it and pay the extra
    > money for batteries?

    It is a good camera. If you like the results then stick with it. It
    will be cheaper to buy the battery than a new camera equal to the one you
    have. You should be able to find a battery much cheaper. ebay or B&H Photo
    would be good places to start. You also may want to try one of those
    Batteries R US type stores. They often have good prices on batteries.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 1, 2005
  11. DFS Guest

    >> Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
    >> I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.

    > If you like the camera, try looking for cheaper batteries on ebay.
    > Just type the model number into the search form and you should see
    > tons of them. Make sure to include the shipping charge when you do
    > price comparisons.

    I've found better prices (especially lower shipping costs) when using Google
    to search for the battery model #. Many of the companies that will come up
    in such a search have much lower than ebay prices, and offer free or very
    low cost shipping.

    ds

    DFS, Dec 1, 2005
  12. Bill Funk Guest

    On 30 Nov 2005 18:47:44 -0800, wrote:

    >My sister got a new camera, so she gave me her old one.
    >Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
    >
    >It is 3.3 megapixels, which is pretty good (I think?)
    >
    >Now the problem is the battery.
    >Fully charge, when I turn the camera on, it says 113minutes.
    >Then after about 15 minutes of use, the battery dies out.
    >
    >I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.
    >
    >Should I get a new battery or a new camera?
    >
    >I had a color ink jet printer, and it ran out of ink, it would cost
    >about 50 for new ink, but I got another printer on sale for about $60.
    >I figure a new printer is better than an old one anyway.
    >
    >Is it a similiar situation here?
    >
    >Thanks

    You can buy a battery for under $20, and try the camera.
    If it does what you want, a new camera isn't needed,and the battery
    will pay for itself.
    If the camera isn't what you want, give it to someone, and consider it
    a $20 gift. The person you give it to will have a better camera than
    your sister gave you, because the battery will be new.
    Seems like a reasonable plan to me. :)

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 1, 2005
  13. SMS Guest

    wrote:
    > My sister got a new camera, so she gave me her old one.
    > Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
    >
    > It is 3.3 megapixels, which is pretty good (I think?)
    >
    > Now the problem is the battery.
    > Fully charge, when I turn the camera on, it says 113minutes.
    > Then after about 15 minutes of use, the battery dies out.
    >
    > I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.

    See "http://sterlingtek.com/sonpcoba.html"

    Don't buy batteries off of eBay!

    SMS, Dec 1, 2005
  14. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > My sister got a new camera, so she gave me her old one.
    > Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
    >
    > It is 3.3 megapixels, which is pretty good (I think?)
    >
    > Now the problem is the battery.
    > Fully charge, when I turn the camera on, it says 113minutes.
    > Then after about 15 minutes of use, the battery dies out.
    >
    > I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.
    >
    > Should I get a new battery or a new camera?
    >
    > I had a color ink jet printer, and it ran out of ink, it would cost
    > about 50 for new ink, but I got another printer on sale for about $60.
    > I figure a new printer is better than an old one anyway.
    >
    > Is it a similiar situation here?
    >
    > Thanks

    Simple answer is that a new camera (of a similar type) would cost more
    than a new battery. BTW, check online for better battery prices if you
    haven't already. That seems a bit high for a replacement battery.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 2, 2005
  15. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > My sister got a new camera, so she gave me her old one.
    > Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
    >
    > It is 3.3 megapixels, which is pretty good (I think?)
    >
    > Now the problem is the battery.
    > Fully charge, when I turn the camera on, it says 113minutes.
    > Then after about 15 minutes of use, the battery dies out.
    >
    > I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.
    >
    > Should I get a new battery or a new camera?
    >
    > I had a color ink jet printer, and it ran out of ink, it would cost
    > about 50 for new ink, but I got another printer on sale for about $60.
    > I figure a new printer is better than an old one anyway.
    >
    > Is it a similiar situation here?

    Sony's Infolithium batteries often suffer from this problem. When I
    bought my S-70 back in 2001 the battery would show 150 minutes of charge
    but when it was down to around 70 minutes - low battery warning then
    shutoff. Sony told me the battery just needed conditioning and refused
    to replace it. I never did get it to work properly and ended up getting
    a replacement for around $60.

    My best advice to everyone is don't buy Sony anything in the first place
    - look what they tried to do with their copy protected CDs.

    Don't get me wrong - the Cybershots take very good pictures with their
    Zeiss lens. It's just Sony itself who tries to trap you into buying it's
    unique accessories so you swing towards Sony next time around unless you
    want to junk all those memory sticks.

    Stewy, Dec 2, 2005
  16. Bob Guest

    > wrote:
    >> My sister got a new camera, so she gave me her old one.
    >> Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
    >>
    >> It is 3.3 megapixels, which is pretty good (I think?)
    >>
    >> Now the problem is the battery.
    >> Fully charge, when I turn the camera on, it says 113minutes.
    >> Then after about 15 minutes of use, the battery dies out.
    >>
    >> I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.

    >See "http://sterlingtek.com/sonpcoba.html"
    >
    >Don't buy batteries off of eBay!

    That's a bit misleading - I've bought from Sterlingtek and am very
    happy with their service, but I found them on Ebay, of all places.

    If you're going to buy from Ebay, simply check the feedback. Much
    like checking resellerratings.com for other online purchases. If you
    don't like what you see, avoid them.

    Bob, Dec 2, 2005
  17. Guest

    Maybe a new camera afterall - Re: Get a new camera or new battery?

    This weekend I was home and wanted to take a picture of something in
    the house, so I turned on the camera.

    Maybe since its the first time I used it without background noise, but
    I noticed noise coming from the camera.

    It was a crackling sound...like the static you hear on a record....or
    the sound of an old harddrive (slight clicking)

    This is weird because as far as I know there is no hd in the camera.
    It uses the Sony memory stick.

    What could it be?

    Thanks

    , Dec 5, 2005