    This is a genuine offer. For more information visit
    www.microsoft.com/nz/officesystem/retailoffer

    Good luck being there first...

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Nathan Mercer

    KS Guest

    > Celebrate the worldwide launch of Microsoft Office 2003 by being at
    > any Harvey Norman, Noel Leeming, Big Byte or Dick Smith Electronics
    > store on Wednesday morning.

    > Why? Because each store has 5 free copies of Microsoft Office 2003 to
    > giveaway to the first 5 customers through their doors.

    Curious, will there be the same rort as the launch of XP, when stores
    mysteriously had given away their free copies by 0900, yet staff were
    gloating about being able to hock off their (now free) copy via trademe ?

    Is MS doing anyting to track/ensure that the copies are in fact being given
    away for free from the retailers ?

    KS, Oct 20, 2003

  3. "KS" <> wrote in message
    > > Celebrate the worldwide launch of Microsoft Office 2003 by being at
    > > any Harvey Norman, Noel Leeming, Big Byte or Dick Smith Electronics
    > > store on Wednesday morning.

    > > Why? Because each store has 5 free copies of Microsoft Office 2003 to
    > > giveaway to the first 5 customers through their doors.

    > Curious, will there be the same rort as the launch of XP, when stores
    > mysteriously had given away their free copies by 0900, yet staff were
    > gloating about being able to hock off their (now free) copy via trademe ?
    >
    > Is MS doing anyting to track/ensure that the copies are in fact being

    given
    > away for free from the retailers ?

    We learned a lot from the Windows XP giveaway. Rest assured that we have
    implemented checks and balances for tomorrow.

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Oct 20, 2003
  4. Nathan Mercer

    pbealing Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > Soundslike a good chance to get down there and handout copies of
    > OpenOffice1.1.

    I heard something the other day about a new MS automatic self
    destructing email feature.
    That should help MS in future legal battles. Automatic evidence elimination.

    Paul

    pbealing, Oct 20, 2003
  5. Nathan Mercer

    T.N.O. Guest

    "pbealing" wrote
    > I heard something the other day about a new MS automatic self
    > destructing email feature.
    > That should help MS in future legal battles. Automatic evidence

    elimination.

    Your post is worded almost identically to a website I read that on this
    morning... odd.

    T.N.O., Oct 20, 2003
  6. Nathan Mercer

    KS Guest

    > We learned a lot from the Windows XP giveaway. Rest assured that we
    > have implemented checks and balances for tomorrow.

    Good to hear. Thanks. I might even attempt this one.

    KS, Oct 20, 2003
  7. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Free copies of Microsoft® Office 2003 Professional Edition
    > Will be given away to customers on Wednesday October 22nd
    >
    > Celebrate the worldwide launch of Microsoft Office 2003 by being at
    > any Harvey Norman, Noel Leeming, Big Byte or Dick Smith Electronics
    > store on Wednesday morning.
    >
    > Why? Because each store has 5 free copies of Microsoft Office 2003 to
    > giveaway to the first 5 customers through their doors.
    >
    > This is a genuine offer. For more information visit
    > www.microsoft.com/nz/officesystem/retailoffer
    >
    > Good luck being there first...

    Big Byte is probably the best place to go.
    They don't have any staff or customers :)

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Oct 20, 2003
  8. Nathan Mercer

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Russell Smithies" wrote
    > Big Byte is probably the best place to go.
    > They don't have any staff or customers :)

    Thats not true, they have plenty of Staff.

    T.N.O., Oct 20, 2003
  9. Nathan Mercer

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:46:08 -0700, "Howard" <> wrote:

    >Soundslike a good chance to get down there and handout copies of
    >OpenOffice1.1.

    Yes great the one that is useless and a utter Joke, Toy for little Boys..

    Paul Mathews, Oct 20, 2003
  10. Nathan Mercer

    pbealing Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > "pbealing" wrote
    >
    >>I heard something the other day about a new MS automatic self
    >>destructing email feature.
    >>That should help MS in future legal battles. Automatic evidence

    > elimination.
    >
    > Your post is worded almost identically to a website I read that on this
    > morning... odd.

    That's odd. I heard it on Tech TV, yesterday I think.

    What was the web site?
    I tried a quick Google search but didn't find much.

    Paul

    pbealing, Oct 21, 2003
  11. In article <>, Paul Mathews <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:46:08 -0700, "Howard" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Soundslike a good chance to get down there and handout copies of
    >>OpenOffice1.1.

    >Yes great the one that is useless and a utter Joke, Toy for little Boys..

    oh ... you mean you haven't tried it then. OK :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 21, 2003
  12. Nathan Mercer

    T.N.O. Guest

    "pbealing" wrote

    Might have been www.theinquirer.net or www.theregister.co.uk

    T.N.O., Oct 21, 2003
  13. Nathan Mercer

    pbealing Guest

    Paul Mathews wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:46:08 -0700, "Howard" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Soundslike a good chance to get down there and handout copies of
    >>OpenOffice1.1.
    >>

    > Yes great the one that is useless and a utter Joke, Toy for little Boys..

    I've been using MS Office for years and Open Office more recently.
    I converted some of my forms and spreadsheets from MS to OO without any
    problems. MS looks like its a bit more mature with more features but OO
    handles the normal stuff and seems a bit less confusing than MS Office;
    maybe the help is better.

    What problems have you had with Open Office?
    Why is it a joke?

    Paul

    pbealing, Oct 21, 2003
  14. Nathan Mercer

    Peter S Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote in
    message news:q9_kb.2071$...

    wrote:

    > >>Soundslike a good chance to get down there and handout copies of
    > >>OpenOffice1.1.

    > >Yes great the one that is useless and a utter Joke, Toy for little

    Boys..

    > oh ... you mean you haven't tried it then. OK :)
    >
    > Bruce

    > It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to
    > think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone´s fault.
    > If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, I´m one of Us. I must be.
    > I´ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
    > of themselves as one of Them. We´re always one of Us. It´s Them that do
    > the bad things. <=> Terry Pratchett. Jingo.

    Bruce,

    Gotta say that I agree with him there. I've tried one of the RC's for
    OpenOffice 1.2 and producing big docs like I do I've got to say that there
    are a couple of small things that it renders differently to MS Word that
    would make the difference to customers. That said, its damn close. I can't
    see though what the average punter would find wrong with it.

    I'll be lining up for my copy of Office tomorrow though - only for a free
    one. I'm looking forward to Outlook 2003.

    Pete.

    Peter S, Oct 21, 2003
  15. Nathan Mercer

    pbealing Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > "pbealing" wrote

    >>>Your post is worded almost identically to a website I read that on this
    >>>morning... odd.

    >>What was the web site?

    > Might have been www.theinquirer.net or www.theregister.co.uk

    Thanks; found an article.

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12227

    Paul

    pbealing, Oct 21, 2003
  16. "pbealing" wrote
    > I heard something the other day about a new MS automatic self
    > destructing email feature.
    > That should help MS in future legal battles. Automatic evidence

    elimination.

    The person who set the expiry setting on the original email still has
    permissions no matter what. This technology is all PKI based, and there is
    a uber-administrator role that has permissions to get at stuff.

    This type of technology doesn't absolve companies from the following the law
    with regard to keeping company records. You're only thinking about the
    negatives...

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 21, 2003
  17. Nathan Mercer

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:45:08 +1300, pbealing <> wrote:

    >Paul Mathews wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:46:08 -0700, "Howard" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Soundslike a good chance to get down there and handout copies of
    >>>OpenOffice1.1.
    >>>

    >> Yes great the one that is useless and a utter Joke, Toy for little Boys..
    >>

    >I've been using MS Office for years and Open Office more recently.
    >I converted some of my forms and spreadsheets from MS to OO without any
    >problems. MS looks like its a bit more mature with more features but OO
    >handles the normal stuff and seems a bit less confusing than MS Office;
    >maybe the help is better.
    >
    >What problems have you had with Open Office?
    >Why is it a joke?
    >
    >Paul

    My Boss who is a Lunix nerd states that is utter Crap and so does IBM..

    Paul Mathews, Oct 21, 2003
  18. Nathan Mercer

    pbealing Guest

    Paul Mathews wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:45:08 +1300, pbealing <> wrote:
    >

    >>Paul Mathews wrote:

    >>>Yes great the one that is useless and a utter Joke, Toy for little Boys..
    >>>

    >>I've been using MS Office for years and Open Office more recently.
    >>I converted some of my forms and spreadsheets from MS to OO without any
    >>problems. MS looks like its a bit more mature with more features but OO
    >>handles the normal stuff and seems a bit less confusing than MS Office;
    >>maybe the help is better.
    >>
    >>What problems have you had with Open Office?
    >>Why is it a joke?
    >>
    >>Paul

    > My Boss who is a Lunix nerd states that is utter Crap and so does IBM..

    Which "that" are you refering to?
    I guess you mean the MS may be better suggestion.

    I use Linux a little but I'm no expert.
    I think it's still more complicated for the average PC user to install
    applications (no hastle), run them and share files with another PC or
    two. I'd still recommend OO and Linux over MS.

    When I finally get all my old apps installed and running under Linux
    I'll drop the MS software.

    Paul

    pbealing, Oct 21, 2003
  19. Nathan Mercer

    samg Guest

    Paul Mathews <> wrote in

    > My Boss who is a Lunix nerd states that is utter Crap and so does
    > IBM..

    That you Woger?

    samg, Oct 21, 2003
  20. Nathan Mercer