Germany refuses to sign copyright treaty

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ted, Feb 11, 2012.

  1. Ted

    Ted Guest

    http://news.monstersandcritics.com/...LEAD-Germany-refuses-to-sign-copyright-treaty

    Berlin - Germany will not sign an international copyright treaty,
    despite having already agreed to it in principal, government sources
    in Berlin said Friday, after protests over its implications for
    internet users.

    The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), initiated by the
    United States and Japan, seeks to protect intellectual property
    rights, 'including infringement taking place in the digital
    environment.'

    It was signed by the European Union and 22 of its 27 member states in
    January. Germany said at the time it would soon follow suit.

    But since January, the treaty has been the subject of widespread
    protest, mainly by internet users, who say it will require signatory
    countries to punish even non-commercial breaches of copyright with
    criminal prosecution and jail terms.

    Tens of thousands of people were expected to take part in protests in
    60 German cities on Saturday, while the international coordinator of
    the campaign group Stopp ACTA told dpa that it expected 150,000 to
    200,000 protests to take place worldwide.

    Poland stopped the ratification process of the treaty last week after
    nationwide protests and attacks on government websites. Similar
    attacks led the Czech government to suspend its ratification of the
    treaty earlier this week. Latvia also followed suit.

    Despite the EU's signature, it still needs ratification by the
    European Parliament and the individual states before it can come into
    effect.

    ACTA foresees that internet providers divulge details such as a user's
    IP address so that people can be identified in cases of copyright
    infringement.

    After rejecting protesters' concerns last week, German Justice
    Minister Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger said Friday that she was
    pleased that a debate about ACTA was being 'led so openly and
    enthusiastically.'

    'It's necessary that all the facts are on the table,' she added.

    Ted, Feb 11, 2012

  2. Ted

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-02-11, Ted <> wrote:

    > http://news.monstersandcritics.com/...LEAD-Germany-refuses-to-sign-copyright-treaty
    >
    > Berlin - Germany will not sign an international copyright treaty,
    > despite having already agreed to it in principal, government sources
    > in Berlin said Friday, after protests over its implications for
    > internet users.
    >
    > The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), initiated by the
    > United States and Japan, seeks to protect intellectual property
    > rights, 'including infringement taking place in the digital
    > environment.'

    Shit, people we have 1800 type copyright, the GPL which is copy left, but
    uses the 1800's versions against itself, and then the new kid on the block
    is Creative Commons.

    What we need in this world is less prue unaltderated greed and more sharing
    at a reasonable price. Instead we are going to do something else.

    Still might bring the end of capitalism as we/they know it.

    Gordon, Feb 12, 2012