    it was. But you try to make it in full living color and try to compare it to a
    Jim Carrey movie, then it's hard for young people to understand. ... It's not
    fair to the artist."
    SpiderManHouston, Aug 10, 2004

  2. SpiderManHouston

    napalm68 Guest

    Hmm, Georgie might be on to something there. So if I put a Jim Carrey movie
    in B&W it becomes funny? I new there must be some trick to being able to get
    a laugh from one of his films...

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > SpiderManHouston wrote:
    >
    > > George Lucas, a longtime foe of "colorized" movies, has sharply

    criticized
    > > Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment's decision to release two Three

    Stooges
    > > DVDs today (Tuesday) that will allow viewers to watch them in either

    their
    > > original black-and-white or digitally colored versions. In an interview

    with
    > > the Associated Press, Lucas said, that the Stooges' slapstick comedy

    belongs in
    > > a black-and-white universe. "Would color distract from their comedy and

    make it
    > > not as funny anymore?" Lucas said. "Maybe just the fact that they're in

    black
    > > and white makes it funny, because their humor is dated. But by putting

    it in
    > > black and white, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for

    what

    napalm68, Aug 11, 2004

    Derek Janssen, Aug 11, 2004
  4. SpiderManHouston

    Mark Spatny Guest

    SpiderManHouston, says...
    > This article taken from imdb.com. Lucas is criticizing the 3 Stooges dvds for
    > being colorized. Yet, he's adding all kinds of computer graphics to his movies
    > without even releasing the originals.

    The obvious difference is that in once case, the producer/director of
    the movie is making the choice, do something that he feels enhances his
    creative vision, and in the other case some random person not related to
    the creation of the original films is making the choice.

    In both cases I think the result is bad, but I beleive in the right of
    the owner and creator of a property to modify it however they chose.
    Mark Spatny, Aug 11, 2004
  5. SpiderManHouston wrote:
    > This article taken from imdb.com. Lucas is criticizing the 3 Stooges
    > dvds for being colorized. Yet, he's adding all kinds of computer
    > graphics to his movies without even releasing the originals. At least
    > with the Stooges dvds you have a choice to watch them in its original
    > form or colorized.
    >

    > George Lucas, a longtime foe of "colorized" movies, has sharply
    > criticized Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment's decision to release
    > two Three Stooges DVDs today (Tuesday) that will allow viewers to
    > watch them in either their original black-and-white or digitally
    > colored versions. In an interview with the Associated Press, Lucas
    > said, that the Stooges' slapstick comedy belongs in a black-and-white
    > universe. "Would color distract from their comedy and make it not as
    > funny anymore?" Lucas said. "Maybe just the fact that they're in
    > black and white makes it funny, because their humor is dated. But by
    > putting it in black and white, it puts it in a context where you can
    > appreciate it for what it was. But you try to make it in full living
    > color and try to compare it to a Jim Carrey movie, then it's hard for
    > young people to understand. ... It's not fair to the artist."

    Will someone hand George Lucas a dictionary and have him look up
    the word HYPOCRITE. It seems like he doesn't understand what he
    has become.

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 11, 2004
  6. SpiderManHouston

    John Guest

    On 10 Aug 2004 21:49:54 GMT,
    (SpiderManHouston) wrote:

    >This article taken from imdb.com. Lucas is criticizing the 3 Stooges dvds for
    >being colorized. Yet, he's adding all kinds of computer graphics to his movies
    >without even releasing the originals. At least with the Stooges dvds you have a
    >choice to watch them in its original form or colorized.
    >
    >George Lucas, a longtime foe of "colorized" movies, has sharply criticized
    >Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment's decision to release two Three Stooges
    >DVDs today (Tuesday) that will allow viewers to watch them in either their
    >original black-and-white or digitally colored versions. In an interview with
    >the Associated Press, Lucas said, that the Stooges' slapstick comedy belongs in
    >a black-and-white universe. "Would color distract from their comedy and make it
    >not as funny anymore?" Lucas said. "Maybe just the fact that they're in black
    >and white makes it funny, because their humor is dated. But by putting it in
    >black and white, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what
    >it was. But you try to make it in full living color and try to compare it to a
    >Jim Carrey movie, then it's hard for young people to understand. ... It's not
    >fair to the artist."

    Maybe this will make Lucas realise that he should add a choice option
    to his new "Star Wars 4-6" DVD release to stay true to the artist he
    once was and is now dorment/dead. And if he does that, he can even add
    a black and white version for all I care :)
    John, Aug 11, 2004
  7. SpiderManHouston

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (SpiderManHouston) wrote in message news:<>...
    > This article taken from imdb.com. Lucas is criticizing the 3 Stooges dvds for
    > being colorized. Yet, he's adding all kinds of computer graphics to his movies
    > without even releasing the originals. At least with the Stooges dvds you have a
    > choice to watch them in its original form or colorized.

    I think there would be a huge market for a MST type treatment of
    adding Lucas style effects to classic movies in order to mock
    revisionist history... Hmmm...

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Aug 11, 2004
  8. >Hmm, Georgie might be on to something there. So if I put a Jim Carrey movie
    >in B&W it becomes funny?

    that's easy to do. JKust turn the color on your tv set all the way down so that
    it's in black and white.
    Waterperson77, Aug 11, 2004
  9. >In both cases I think the result is bad, but I beleive in the right of
    >the owner and creator of a property to modify it however they chose.

    usually "owner" does not ="creator".
    Waterperson77, Aug 11, 2004
  10. SpiderManHouston

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On 10 Aug 2004 21:49:54 GMT,
    (SpiderManHouston) wrote:

    >This article taken from imdb.com. Lucas is criticizing the 3 Stooges dvds for
    >being colorized. Yet, he's adding all kinds of computer graphics to his movies
    >without even releasing the originals. At least with the Stooges dvds you have a
    >choice to watch them in its original form or colorized.
    >
    >George Lucas, a longtime foe of "colorized" movies, has sharply criticized
    >Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment's decision to release two Three Stooges
    >DVDs today (Tuesday) that will allow viewers to watch them in either their
    >original black-and-white or digitally colored versions. In an interview with
    >the Associated Press, Lucas said, that the Stooges' slapstick comedy belongs in
    >a black-and-white universe. "Would color distract from their comedy and make it
    >not as funny anymore?" Lucas said. "Maybe just the fact that they're in black
    >and white makes it funny, because their humor is dated. But by putting it in
    >black and white, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for what
    >it was. But you try to make it in full living color and try to compare it to a
    >Jim Carrey movie, then it's hard for young people to understand. ... It's not
    >fair to the artist."

    Perhaps he thinks that because he's changing his own films, that's ok,
    but in the case of the Stooges, the original artist(s) doesn't have a
    say in the matter. I agree with you though - if that's the difference
    he sees, I think it's insignificant. In both cases, history is being
    revised inappropriately.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Aug 12, 2004
  11. SpiderManHouston

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Waterperson77, says...
    > usually "owner" does not ="creator".

    What's your point? In the case of the Star Wars property, it's one and
    the same. Which is why Mr. Lucas can do whatever he wants to his films.
    Mark Spatny, Aug 12, 2004
  12. SpiderManHouston

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Jordan Lund, says...
    > I think there would be a huge market for a MST type treatment of
    > adding Lucas style effects to classic movies in order to mock
    > revisionist history... Hmmm...

    I think there would be a huge market for an MST type treatment of the
    Star Wars films.
    Mark Spatny, Aug 12, 2004
  13. Mark Spatny wrote:
    > What's your point? In the case of the Star Wars property, it's one and
    > the same. Which is why Mr. Lucas can do whatever he wants to his
    > films.

    That doesn't mean we have to like it tho.

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 12, 2004
  14. SpiderManHouston

    Eric R. Guest

    John <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Maybe this will make Lucas realise that he should add a choice option
    > to his new "Star Wars 4-6" DVD release to stay true to the artist he
    > once was and is now dorment/dead.

    His ego is so big now that nothing could get through to him. And you
    can bet that none of the pansy yes-men that surround him are going to
    dare question him. I don't think Rick McCallum could talk anyway, with
    Lucas's dick in his mouth.

    LOL! Once you go down the path to the dark side, forever will it
    dominate your destiny.

    > And if he does that, he can even add
    > a black and white version for all I care :)

    He can release whatever crazy redux version he wants, as long as he
    releases the *originals* too. After that, he could do a version with
    the 3 Stooges in it for all I care.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Aug 12, 2004
  15. SpiderManHouston

    Eric R. Guest

    Mike Kohary <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Perhaps he thinks that because he's changing his own films, that's ok,

    Yeah, but he's not the same man he was 25 years ago. *THAT* George
    Lucas had talent.

    George Lucas is a walking advertisement for a that Logan's Run
    carousel system where everyone off's themselves at 30.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Aug 12, 2004
  16. The original artists for the Stooges shorts have probably passed away. Do we
    have to wait till George Lucas passes away to see the original Star Wars on
    dvd?

    SpiderManHouston, Aug 13, 2004
  17. SpiderManHouston

    HellRazor Guest

    "napalm68" <> wrote in message
    > Hmm, Georgie might be on to something there. So if I put a Jim Carrey

    movie
    > in B&W it becomes funny? I new there must be some trick to being able to

    get
    > a laugh from one of his films...

    Hmmm...someone should try it with a Joe Piscapo movie.
    HellRazor, Aug 13, 2004
  18. SpiderManHouston

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On 12 Aug 2004 10:56:59 -0700, (Eric R.) wrote:

    >Mike Kohary <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >> Perhaps he thinks that because he's changing his own films, that's ok,

    >Yeah, but he's not the same man he was 25 years ago. *THAT* George
    >Lucas had talent.

    No, he's not the same man. I think he still has talent, but has been
    blinded by believing his own press far too often.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Aug 13, 2004
  19. SpiderManHouston

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On 12 Aug 2004 23:24:37 GMT,
    (SpiderManHouston) wrote:

    >The original artists for the Stooges shorts have probably passed away. Do we
    >have to wait till George Lucas passes away to see the original Star Wars on
    >dvd?

    Maybe. Anyone up to doing the job? ;)

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Aug 13, 2004
  20. SpiderManHouston

    Rick Guest

    > This article taken from imdb.com. Lucas is criticizing the 3 Stooges dvds

    for
    > being colorized. Yet, he's adding all kinds of computer graphics to his

    movies
    > without even releasing the originals. At least with the Stooges dvds you

    have a
    > choice to watch them in its original form or colorized.
    >

    > George Lucas, a longtime foe of "colorized" movies, has sharply criticized
    > Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment's decision to release two Three

    Stooges
    > DVDs today (Tuesday) that will allow viewers to watch them in either their
    > original black-and-white or digitally colored versions. In an interview

    with
    > the Associated Press, Lucas said, that the Stooges' slapstick comedy

    belongs in
    > a black-and-white universe. "Would color distract from their comedy and

    make it
    > not as funny anymore?" Lucas said. "Maybe just the fact that they're in

    black
    > and white makes it funny, because their humor is dated. But by putting it

    in
    > black and white, it puts it in a context where you can appreciate it for

    what
    > it was. But you try to make it in full living color and try to compare it

    to a
    > Jim Carrey movie, then it's hard for young people to understand. ... It's

    not
    > fair to the artist."

    It's never stopped him from CGI-butchering his own classics, has it?
    Rick, Aug 13, 2004