George is winning.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Georgette Preddy, May 30, 2004.

  1. "dylan" <> wrote in message news:<N77uc.923$wk7.223@newsfe2-win>...
    > "Most people have no idea Bayer Megapixels are monochrome as rated, while
    > Foveon MPs are full color"
    >
    > and yet...
    >
    > (It's ) .."universally accepted".
    >
    > Interesting.
    >
    > Anyway...
    >
    > For Foveon to be in full colour the rating is 3.43MP and yet you constantly
    > quote 10.2MP which is monochrome (RG&B).
    > So what do you know ?

    The SD9 is...
    3.43 MP full color
    13.72 MP monochrome

    The low end Canon 10D is only...
    1.5 MP full color
    6.0 MP monochrome

    The SD9 has 230% more MPs for less than half the price, but without
    the heavy Bayer interpolation artifacts.

    Georgette Preddy, May 30, 2004

  2. Georgette Preddy

    Lionel Guest

    Re: George is whining.

    Kibo informs me that (Georgette Preddy)
    stated that:

    >"dylan" <> wrote in message news:<N77uc.923$wk7.223@newsfe2-win>...
    >> "Most people have no idea Bayer Megapixels are monochrome as rated, while
    >> Foveon MPs are full color"
    >>
    >> and yet...
    >>
    >> (It's ) .."universally accepted".
    >>
    >> Interesting.
    >>
    >> Anyway...
    >>
    >> For Foveon to be in full colour the rating is 3.43MP and yet you constantly
    >> quote 10.2MP which is monochrome (RG&B).
    >> So what do you know ?

    >The SD9 is...
    >3.43 MP full color
    >3.43 MP monochrome

    Good boy, George.

    Lionel, May 30, 2004

  3. Georgette Preddy wrote:

    << Snipped bits out >>

    The person posting under the name of George or Georgette Preddy (and
    other pseudonyms) has an ungrounded but zealous faith that current
    implementation of the Foveon chip is superior to all other chip
    technologies. He will cite portions of reviews to ostensibly support his
    claims, and will repeat, ad naseum, complete lines of out-of-context
    material, as well as manufacturing some pure bull manure.

    Moreover, "Mr." "Preddy" has claimed to be a photographer (pro!), but
    cannot bring himself to post a single picture with EXIF info that he
    shot himself, in spite of repeated requests and challenges to do so.

    Apparently he loathes anything related to Canon and loves everything
    about Sigma cameras and lenses. His "claims" may be ignored, and he is
    doing Sigma, and anyone related to the Foveon chip, no good at all by
    arousing ire, increasing the N/S ratio, and generally spamming this
    newsgroup.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, May 30, 2004
  4. Georgette Preddy

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Georgette Preddy" <> wrote in message

    > The SD9 is...
    > crap
    >
    > The high end pro Canon 10D is
    > superlative

    And George(tte) knows what it's talking about.
    Here's an example of what the Preddy/Sigma combination is capable of:
    http://www.pbase.com/image/29304545

    Alan D-W, May 30, 2004
  5. (Georgette Preddy) writes:

    >The SD9 is...
    >3.43 MP full color
    >13.72 MP monochrome

    Wrong. The SD9/SD10 are 3.4 MP for all possible subject matter, colour
    or monochrome. There are only 3.4 million sensor locations.

    >The low end Canon 10D is only...
    >1.5 MP full color
    >6.0 MP monochrome

    Wrong. The 10D has 6 million sensor locations, and acquires 6 MP of
    luminance information. It acquires the equivalent of 1.5 MP worth of
    *colour difference* information, not colour information. For almost all
    real-world photographic subjects, this is virtually equivalent to full
    6MP RGB. Only on specially-constructed test patterns with no luminance
    change does the resolution drop to 1.5 MP.

    >The SD9 has 230% more MPs for less than half the price, but without
    >the heavy Bayer interpolation artifacts.

    Wrong. The SD9 has about half the useful luminamce resolution, and the
    colour is less acurate than Bayer sensors. And it includes aliasing
    artifacts for free. (The SD10 markedly improves this one problem).

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Georgette Preddy

    Dave Haynie Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:45:19 +0000 (UTC), (Dave
    Martindale) wrote:

    > (Georgette Preddy) writes:
    >
    >>The SD9 is...
    >>3.43 MP full color
    >>13.72 MP monochrome

    >Wrong. The SD9/SD10 are 3.4 MP for all possible subject matter, colour
    >or monochrome. There are only 3.4 million sensor locations.

    Say "only 3.4 million pixels". That IS the definition of pixel, it
    always has been, and always will be. I'm typing this on a monitor with
    1,920,000 pixels. They happen to be 24-bit RGB pixels, but
    independently of the color, there are exactly 1,920,000 pixels
    on-screen. The fact of their being 24-bit doesn't triplicate them; if
    I ran a program that imposed a Bayer color scheme on the screen, I
    would still have exactly 1,920,000 pixels. That is what pixels are.

    >>The low end Canon 10D is only...
    >>1.5 MP full color
    >>6.0 MP monochrome

    >Wrong. The 10D has 6 million sensor locations, and acquires 6 MP of
    >luminance information. It acquires the equivalent of 1.5 MP worth of
    >*colour difference* information, not colour information.

    And, while it's maybe not obvious to fools and children, but anyone
    who's well versed in imaging, video, or even (like me) has taken
    several college course in cognative psychology, will understand that
    color information is far less important to the human imaging system
    than spatial information. All forms of video you're likely to see are
    decimated in color, 4:1, and yet, no one notices (if anything, you
    notice how much better the color on DVDs or HDTV is, simply because
    it's ONLY 4:1).

    >For almost all
    >real-world photographic subjects, this is virtually equivalent to full
    >6MP RGB.

    Yup. And anyone who actually understands imaging knows this. And we
    laught at fools like George, who continue to make themselves abject
    fools in public.

    Dave Haynie | Chief Toady, Frog Pond Media Consulting
    "Deathbed Vigil" now on DVD! See http://www.frogpondmedia.com

    Dave Haynie, Jun 3, 2004
  7. Georgette Preddy

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Dave Haynie <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >Yup. And anyone who actually understands imaging knows this. And we
    >laught at fools like George, who continue to make themselves abject
    >fools in public.

    Oh dear, you do realise that you're putting poor "George" in a difficult
    and possibly irreconcilable position? One thing that's become clear is that
    he has some sort of hero worship thing going for the people behind the
    particular bits of technology he likes, and places great store in the things
    they have to say. We also know that in addition to Foveon sensors and all
    things Sigmoid, he really likes Amigas as well. ;->

    Chris Brown, Jun 4, 2004
  8. Georgette Preddy

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Chris Brown <_uce_please.com> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Dave Haynie <> wrote:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >>Yup. And anyone who actually understands imaging knows this. And we
    >>laught at fools like George, who continue to make themselves abject
    >>fools in public.

    >Oh dear, you do realise that you're putting poor "George" in a difficult
    >and possibly irreconcilable position? One thing that's become clear is that
    >he has some sort of hero worship thing going for the people behind the
    >particular bits of technology he likes, and places great store in the things
    >they have to say. We also know that in addition to Foveon sensors and all
    >things Sigmoid, he really likes Amigas as well. ;->

    This is too funny... Dave Haynie and "George Preddy" have met in usenet
    before. Dave was a Commodore engineer who designed much of the last
    wave of Amiga Computers. George (going by his real name, Steve
    Giovanella) was trying to teach Dave about Amiga hardware in
    comp.sys.amiga.advocacy. He was also tried to teach another fellow who
    wrote an emulator to run the Amiga Operating System and software on PCs
    with a modified Linux kernel about how Amigas multitask.

    Talk about spitting into the fan!
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jun 4, 2004
  9. (Dave Haynie) wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:45:19 +0000 (UTC), (Dave
    > Martindale) wrote:
    >
    > > (Georgette Preddy) writes:
    > >
    > >>The SD9 is...
    > >>3.43 MP full color
    > >>13.72 MP monochrome

    > >Wrong. The SD9/SD10 are 3.4 MP for all possible subject matter, colour
    > >or monochrome. There are only 3.4 million sensor locations.

    Incorrect, all the sensors have locations. Is that a strange concept
    for you? Is your world 3D or 2D?

    > Say "only 3.4 million pixels". That IS the definition of pixel, it
    > always has been, and always will be. I'm typing this on a monitor with
    > 1,920,000 pixels. They happen to be 24-bit RGB pixels, but
    > independently of the color, there are exactly 1,920,000 pixels
    > on-screen. The fact of their being 24-bit doesn't triplicate them; if
    > I ran a program that imposed a Bayer color scheme on the screen, I
    > would still have exactly 1,920,000 pixels. That is what pixels are.
    > >
    > >>The low end Canon 10D is only...
    > >>1.5 MP full color
    > >>6.0 MP monochrome

    > >Wrong. The 10D has 6 million sensor locations, and acquires 6 MP of
    > >luminance information. It acquires the equivalent of 1.5 MP worth of
    > >*colour difference* information, not colour information.

    The number of complete RGB triples is the absolute insurmountable
    limit of full color resolution (which is all that matters) with any
    sensor using a 3 color model. This inludes the F828, btw, which
    converts every E reading to 50/50 Green/Blue.

    > And, while it's maybe not obvious to fools and children, but anyone
    > who's well versed in imaging, video, or even (like me) has taken
    > several college course in cognative psychology,

    You took several college course?

    > will understand that
    > color information is far less important to the human imaging system
    > than spatial information. All forms of video you're likely to see are
    > decimated in color, 4:1, and yet, no one notices (if anything, you
    > notice how much better the color on DVDs or HDTV is, simply because
    > it's ONLY 4:1).

    You absolutely cannot use the "double green" sensor count of a Bayer
    sensor quantitatively, without producing a green shifted image. You
    can get double the green component's measurement accuracy for each
    complete RGB triple, a small qualitative increase, that's all.

    And even so, Bayer are so ridiculously far behind Foveon in sensor
    power, even with "double-green" count (which is of no quantitative
    value) Foveon has a massively higher green sensor count in absolute
    terms than a tiny 6MP interpolated monochrome Bayer sensor, like the
    diminutive Canon 10D CMOS.

    Georgette Preddy, Jun 4, 2004
  10. On 3 Jun 2004 18:57:45 -0700, (Georgette
    Preddy) wrote:

    > (Dave Haynie) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:45:19 +0000 (UTC), (Dave
    >> Martindale) wrote:

    >> >Wrong. The SD9/SD10 are 3.4 MP for all possible subject matter, colour
    >> >or monochrome. There are only 3.4 million sensor locations.

    >Incorrect, all the sensors have locations. Is that a strange concept
    >for you? Is your world 3D or 2D?

    they only have 3.43MP locations when it comes to resolution, the Z
    axis means nothing in 2D photography.

    >> Say "only 3.4 million pixels". That IS the definition of pixel, it
    >> always has been, and always will be. I'm typing this on a monitor with
    >> 1,920,000 pixels. They happen to be 24-bit RGB pixels, but
    >> independently of the color, there are exactly 1,920,000 pixels
    >> on-screen. The fact of their being 24-bit doesn't triplicate them; if
    >> I ran a program that imposed a Bayer color scheme on the screen, I
    >> would still have exactly 1,920,000 pixels. That is what pixels are.

    >> >Wrong. The 10D has 6 million sensor locations, and acquires 6 MP of
    >> >luminance information. It acquires the equivalent of 1.5 MP worth of
    >> >*colour difference* information, not colour information.

    >The number of complete RGB triples is the absolute insurmountable
    >limit of full color resolution (which is all that matters) with any
    >sensor using a 3 color model. This inludes the F828, btw, which
    >converts every E reading to 50/50 Green/Blue.

    Actually resolution is entirely dependent on pixel count. Resolution
    is defined by pixel count in digital imaging. Remeber data/pixel is
    irrelevent in defining a pixel.

    Your misunderstanding of how the human visual system works also plays
    hell with your arguments.

    >> And, while it's maybe not obvious to fools and children, but anyone
    >> who's well versed in imaging, video, or even (like me) has taken
    >> several college course in cognative psychology,

    >You took several college course?
    >
    >> will understand that
    >> color information is far less important to the human imaging system
    >> than spatial information. All forms of video you're likely to see are
    >> decimated in color, 4:1, and yet, no one notices (if anything, you
    >> notice how much better the color on DVDs or HDTV is, simply because
    >> it's ONLY 4:1).

    >You absolutely cannot use the "double green" sensor count of a Bayer
    >sensor quantitatively, without producing a green shifted image. You
    >can get double the green component's measurement accuracy for each
    >complete RGB triple, a small qualitative increase, that's all.
    >
    >And even so, Bayer are so ridiculously far behind Foveon in sensor
    >power, even with "double-green" count (which is of no quantitative
    >value) Foveon has a massively higher green sensor count in absolute
    >terms than a tiny 6MP interpolated monochrome Bayer sensor, like the
    >diminutive Canon 10D CMOS.

    You're a clown, and likely only one of a handfull of people who
    actually believe that.

    GK

    grant kinsley, Jun 4, 2004
  11. grant kinsley <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 3 Jun 2004 18:57:45 -0700, (Georgette
    > Preddy) wrote:
    >
    > > (Dave Haynie) wrote in message news:<>...

    > >Incorrect, all the sensors have locations. Is that a strange concept
    > >for you? Is your world 3D or 2D?

    > they only have 3.43MP locations when it comes to resolution, the Z
    > axis means nothing in 2D photography.

    You've never heard of bit depth?

    You don't like color images?

    Bayer locations are all monochrome, Foveon locations are all color.

    > >> Say "only 3.4 million pixels". That IS the definition of pixel, it
    > >> always has been, and always will be. I'm typing this on a monitor with
    > >> 1,920,000 pixels. They happen to be 24-bit RGB pixels, but
    > >> independently of the color, there are exactly 1,920,000 pixels
    > >> on-screen. The fact of their being 24-bit doesn't triplicate them; if
    > >> I ran a program that imposed a Bayer color scheme on the screen, I
    > >> would still have exactly 1,920,000 pixels. That is what pixels are.

    > >The number of complete RGB triples is the absolute insurmountable
    > >limit of full color resolution (which is all that matters) with any
    > >sensor using a 3 color model. This inludes the F828, btw, which
    > >converts every E reading to 50/50 Green/Blue.

    > Actually resolution is entirely dependent on pixel count. Resolution
    > is defined by pixel count in digital imaging. Remeber data/pixel is
    > irrelevent in defining a pixel.

    Foveon pixel count is exactly 13.72MP.

    > >And even so, Bayer are so ridiculously far behind Foveon in sensor
    > >power, even with "double-green" count (which is of no quantitative
    > >value) Foveon has a massively higher green sensor count in absolute
    > >terms than a tiny 6MP interpolated monochrome Bayer sensor, like the
    > >diminutive Canon 10D CMOS.

    > You're a clown, and likely only one of a handfull of people who
    > actually believe that.

    There is nothing to "believe" it is simply factual. The diminutive
    Canon 10D has...

    1.5M Red sensors (tiny)
    3.0M Green sensors (small)
    1.5M Blue sensors (tiny)

    The SD9 has...

    3.43M Red sensors (230% more)
    3.43M Green sensors (120% more)
    3.43M Blue (230% more)

    And the Canon's double-green (which is still nowhere near the SD9's
    green count) is of no value whatsoever quantitatively, only 1.5M are
    useful but with double the measurement accuracy (2G/2).

    Georgette Preddy, Jun 4, 2004
  12. Georgette Preddy

    George Kerby Guest

    On 6/4/04 6:43 AM, in article
    , "Georgette Preddy"
    <> wrote:

    > grant kinsley <> wrote in message
    >> On 3 Jun 2004 18:57:45 -0700, (Georgette
    >> Preddy) wrote:
    >>
    >>> (Dave Haynie) wrote in message

    >>> Incorrect, all the sensors have locations. Is that a strange concept
    >>> for you? Is your world 3D or 2D?

    >> they only have 3.43MP locations when it comes to resolution, the Z
    >> axis means nothing in 2D photography.

    > You've never heard of bit depth?
    >
    > You don't like color images?
    >
    > Bayer locations are all monochrome, Foveon locations are all color.

    >>> The number of complete RGB triples is the absolute insurmountable
    >>> limit of full color resolution (which is all that matters) with any
    >>> sensor using a 3 color model. This inludes the F828, btw, which
    >>> converts every E reading to 50/50 Green/Blue.

    >> Actually resolution is entirely dependent on pixel count. Resolution
    >> is defined by pixel count in digital imaging. Remeber data/pixel is
    >> irrelevent in defining a pixel.

    > Foveon pixel count is exactly 13.72MP.
    >
    >>> And even so, Bayer are so ridiculously far behind Foveon in sensor
    >>> power, even with "double-green" count (which is of no quantitative
    >>> value) Foveon has a massively higher green sensor count in absolute
    >>> terms than a tiny 6MP interpolated monochrome Bayer sensor, like the
    >>> diminutive Canon 10D CMOS.

    >> You're a clown, and likely only one of a handfull of people who
    >> actually believe that.

    > There is nothing to "believe" it is simply factual. The diminutive
    > Canon 10D has...
    >
    > 1.5M Red sensors (tiny)
    > 3.0M Green sensors (small)
    > 1.5M Blue sensors (tiny)
    >
    > The SD9 has...
    >
    > 3.43M Red sensors (230% more)
    > 3.43M Green sensors (120% more)
    > 3.43M Blue (230% more)
    >
    > And the Canon's double-green (which is still nowhere near the SD9's
    > green count) is of no value whatsoever quantitatively, only 1.5M are
    > useful but with double the measurement accuracy (2G/2).

    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........(snore).......zzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZz
    z...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....zzzzzzzzz.......(p-p-p-ph-h-h-a-a-a-r-r-rt-t-t).......
    ....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....(yawn)...zzzzzzzzzzz....

    George Kerby, Jun 4, 2004
  13. Re: "preddy"

    The person posting under the name of George or Georgette Preddy (and
    other pseudonyms) has an ungrounded but zealous faith that current
    implementation of the Foveon chip is superior to all other chip
    technologies. He will cite portions of reviews to ostensibly support his
    claims, and will repeat, ad naseum, complete lines of out-of-context
    material.

    His claims may well be ignored, or at the very least verified since most
    of them are extreme distortions and some are out and out fabrications."

    John McWilliams, Jun 4, 2004
  14. Georgette Preddy

    Crownfield Guest

    Re: "preddy"

    John McWilliams wrote:

    john:

    I finally figured it out!

    based on

    1- preddy has not got a camera
    2- your last paragraph.

    my conclusion is that he is trying to embarass sigma
    into giving him a camera to shut him up.

    Crownfield, Jun 4, 2004
  15. Georgette Preddy

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 4 Jun 2004 04:43:04 -0700, (Georgette
    Preddy) wrote:

    >Foveon pixel count is exactly 13.72MP.

    In your dreams.
    Even *IF* we use your own definition of pixel, 3.43 million times 3 is
    only 10.29 million.
    And the problem with using 10.29 million as a figure for pixels,
    there's no way even you can turn 3.43 million discrete spacial
    locations into 10.29 million disctret spatial locations without doing
    some fancy interpolation.
    13.72MP is an arbitrary figure related to the Foveon sensor by nothing
    more than interpolation algorithms.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Jun 4, 2004
  16. Re: "preddy"

    which he will promptly trade in for a Canon EOS 300D! IF he
    REALLY loves Sigmas so much, he wouldn't have been
    embarrassing them so much for so long. <g>

    dave

    bay area dave, Jun 4, 2004
  17. Georgette Preddy

    Alan D-W Guest

    > And, while it's maybe not obvious to fools and children, but anyone
    > who's well versed in imaging, video, or even (like me) has taken
    > several college course in cognative psychology, will understand that

    How embarrassing for you then that you don't know how to spell cognitive.
    *Sigh*. Another moron.

    Alan D-W, Jun 4, 2004
  18. Georgette Preddy

    > useful but with double the measurement accuracy (2G/2).

    (Preddy's crap all snipped)

    Let's have a look at a Foveon image from the master himself:

    http://www.pbase.com/image/29304545

    ^^^ Preddy's best shot with a Smegma ^^^

    Alan D-W, Jun 4, 2004
  19. Georgette Preddy

    Alan D-W, Jun 4, 2004
  20. Re: George is whinning.

    George please produce the URL of at least one "professional" image that you
    took with a Sigma SD* DSLR, full size with full exif data.

    Darrell Larose, Jun 4, 2004