    Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A. 1, he gives the lightbulb to 3 engineers, thus reducing the problem to a
    previously solved joke.

    Shane, Jul 1, 2007

  2. Shane wrote:
    > Welcome to nz.comp, where you may be forgiven for thinking that all we do is
    > call each other names and argue about OS.
    > You are invited to form your own opinions on the credibility of each poster,
    > and their opinions. And you are reminded that most often the people
    > telling you what opinion to form do not have your interests at heart.
    > Ultimately the only way you will gain a real understanding is lurking, or,
    > wth, posting here from time to time.
    > There are a large number of people here who are prepared to help you with
    > your problems, discuss computing related subjects, and in general geek
    > out :)
    > The unfortunate few who are here to disrupt are normally very easy to spot
    > and you are invited to ignore them. Most people do.

    I am concerned about this post, it goes against the recent general vein
    of posts in the nz hierachy :)

    It must be an illegal post since it is both factual and helpful :)

    Someone should FLAME this man for his own good :)\\\\

    Collector»NZ, Jul 2, 2007

  3. Shane

    Miguel Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:54:38 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Welcome to nz.comp, where you may be forgiven for thinking that all we
    >> do is call each other names and argue about OS. You are invited to form
    >> your own opinions on the credibility of each poster, and their
    >> opinions. And you are reminded that most often the people telling you
    >> what opinion to form do not have your interests at heart. Ultimately
    >> the only way you will gain a real understanding is lurking, or, wth,
    >> posting here from time to time.
    >> There are a large number of people here who are prepared to help you
    >> with your problems, discuss computing related subjects, and in general
    >> geek out :)
    >> The unfortunate few who are here to disrupt are normally very easy to
    >> spot and you are invited to ignore them. Most people do.
    >>

    > I am concerned about this post, it goes against the recent general vein
    > of posts in the nz hierachy :)
    >
    > It must be an illegal post since it is both factual and helpful :)
    >
    > Someone should FLAME this man for his own good :)\\\\

    Got me thinking....Google groups says there's "80 recent posters" in
    nz.comp but I'd be surprised if there's more than two or three dozen of
    us at most.

    I've decided to keep a "nz.comp posters" spreadsheet for a few months.
    It'll have columns such as "Name" "Operating System" "Level of Activity"
    "Helpfulness" "Newbie/User/Guru" "Degree of Sanity" etc

    It'll give me a chance to play around on OOCalc and save me from having
    to get a life :)

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Jul 2, 2007
  4. Shane

    Rob S Guest

    Miguel wrote:

    > Got me thinking....Google groups says there's "80 recent posters" in
    > nz.comp but I'd be surprised if there's more than two or three dozen of
    > us at most.
    >
    > I've decided to keep a "nz.comp posters" spreadsheet for a few months.
    > It'll have columns such as "Name" "Operating System" "Level of Activity"
    > "Helpfulness" "Newbie/User/Guru" "Degree of Sanity" etc
    >
    > It'll give me a chance to play around on OOCalc and save me from having
    > to get a life :)

    Good luck. I doubt it will be of any use though, as the bunch who are
    turning this ng into an embarrassment seem to be truly deaf to
    criticism. It has gotten to the stage that I rarely post these days as
    I'm sick to death of the crap nearly every thread turns into. And I'm
    sure there are quite a few more just like me, read, but don't post.

    I'm a housebound invalid, so believe it or not, usenet is part of what
    keeps me sane. Worried about the way Xtra tossed out their news servers,
    prior to christmas I ran a poll to see how many usenet users connected
    through Telstraclear, as I had a contact there and thought I might be
    able to apply a bit of pressure to ensure they kept their news servers,
    but when I got less than 40 responses in 4 weeks, I thought better of
    it. Those sort of figures would only supply ammo to kill the servers.
    Now, I don't really give a damn any more. The standard of this group has
    gone down so much, that if TC cut the news servers tomorrow, I doubt I'd
    miss it very much at all, and I've been a regular nz.comp reader since
    the groups inception, about mid 80s, I think.
    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Behind every good computer... is a jumble of wires 'n stuff.

    Rob S, Jul 2, 2007
  5. Shane

    El Chippy Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 04:20:22 +0200, Miguel wrote:

    > I've decided to keep a "nz.comp posters" spreadsheet for a few months.
    > It'll have columns such as "Name" "Operating System" "Level of Activity"
    > "Helpfulness" "Newbie/User/Guru" "Degree of Sanity" etc

    El Chippy
    Windows,Linux & uC/OS
    Low/Medium
    Varies (see last line)
    User
    None before first coffee of the morning/bourbon of the evening :)

    > It'll give me a chance to play around on OOCalc and save me from having
    > to get a life :)

    If you find somewhere that sells them, let me know. :)

    --
    Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who would want to live in an
    institution.

    El Chippy, Jul 2, 2007
  6. On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:33:04 +1200, El Chippy wrote:

    >> It'll give me a chance to play around on OOCalc and save me from having
    >> to get a life :)

    > If you find somewhere that sells them, let me know. :)

    Alternatively, let us know where they can be downloaded. ;o)

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    bath and a short dress to get into."

    Jonathan Walker, Jul 2, 2007
  7. Shane

    bambam Guest

    Miguel <> wrote in news:f69nd1$sa1$:

    > Got me thinking....Google groups says there's "80 recent posters" in
    > nz.comp but I'd be surprised if there's more than two or three dozen
    > of us at most.
    >
    > I've decided to keep a "nz.comp posters" spreadsheet for a few months.
    > It'll have columns such as "Name" "Operating System" "Level of
    > Activity" "Helpfulness" "Newbie/User/Guru" "Degree of Sanity" etc
    >
    > It'll give me a chance to play around on OOCalc and save me from
    > having to get a life :)

    Here is a list of posters, with 10+ posts in the last 30 days.
    Might help start your list-

    Header-statistics for: From: (grouped by name)
    (based on msgs with bodies within last 30 days)

    nz.comp
    1831 100.00% (probe count)
    136 7.43% Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    101 5.52% Fred Dagg
    92 5.02% Shane
    86 4.70% jack
    71 3.88% ~misfit~
    57 3.11% thingy
    49 2.68% sam
    46 2.51% Jonathan Walker
    46 2.51% Bruce Sinclair
    42 2.29% Allistar
    41 2.24% impossible
    39 2.13% peterwn
    39 2.13% El Chippy
    37 2.02% Richard
    31 1.69% XPD
    31 1.69% Enkidu
    27 1.47% Chris Hope
    26 1.42% Gordon
    24 1.31% Jamie Kahn Genet
    23 1.26% Andrew Lambert
    23 1.26% EMB
    22 1.20% Collector»NZ
    21 1.15% Nik Coughlin
    20 1.09% Peter
    18 0.98% Jerry
    18 0.98% Dave Taylor
    17 0.93% Rob S
    16 0.87% BTMO
    15 0.82%
    15 0.82% JohnO
    15 0.82% Nicolaas Hawkins
    14 0.76% muppet
    14 0.76% Nighthawk
    14 0.76% Mark Robinson
    14 0.76% Miguel
    13 0.71% Gib Bogle
    13 0.71% Max Burke
    12 0.66% Peter Huebner
    12 0.66% JJ the parrot
    12 0.66% frederick
    12 0.66% Ray Greene
    12 0.66% Don Hills
    12 0.66% Malcolm
    11 0.60% Matty F
    10 0.55% bharmer
    10 0.55% Jasen
    10 0.55% *sling
    10 0.55% Dave Doe

    bambam, Jul 2, 2007
  8. Shane

    Miguel Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 06:59:19 +0000, bambam wrote:

    > Miguel <> wrote in news:f69nd1$sa1$:
    >
    > Here is a list of posters, with 10+ posts in the last 30 days. Might
    > help start your list-
    >
    > Header-statistics for: From: (grouped by name) (based on msgs with
    > bodies within last 30 days)
    >
    > nz.comp
    > 1831 100.00% (probe count)
    > 136 7.43% Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > 101 5.52% Fred Dagg
    > 92 5.02% Shane
    > 86 4.70% jack
    > 71 3.88% ~misfit~
    > 57 3.11% thingy
    > 49 2.68% sam
    > 46 2.51% Jonathan Walker
    > 46 2.51% Bruce Sinclair
    > 42 2.29% Allistar
    > 41 2.24% impossible
    > 39 2.13% peterwn
    > 39 2.13% El Chippy
    > 37 2.02% Richard
    > 31 1.69% XPD
    > 31 1.69% Enkidu
    > 27 1.47% Chris Hope
    > 26 1.42% Gordon
    > 24 1.31% Jamie Kahn Genet
    > 23 1.26% Andrew Lambert
    > 23 1.26% EMB
    > 22 1.20% Collector»NZ
    > 21 1.15% Nik Coughlin
    > 20 1.09% Peter
    > 18 0.98% Jerry
    > 18 0.98% Dave Taylor
    > 17 0.93% Rob S
    > 16 0.87% BTMO
    > 15 0.82%
    > 15 0.82% JohnO
    > 15 0.82% Nicolaas Hawkins
    > 14 0.76% muppet
    > 14 0.76% Nighthawk
    > 14 0.76% Mark Robinson
    > 14 0.76% Miguel
    > 13 0.71% Gib Bogle
    > 13 0.71% Max Burke
    > 12 0.66% Peter Huebner
    > 12 0.66% JJ the parrot
    > 12 0.66% frederick
    > 12 0.66% Ray Greene
    > 12 0.66% Don Hills
    > 12 0.66% Malcolm
    > 11 0.60% Matty F
    > 10 0.55% bharmer
    > 10 0.55% Jasen
    > 10 0.55% *sling
    > 10 0.55% Dave Doe

    Hello bambam....Superb work. Saved me the effort. I guess now it's just
    cut and paste into OOCalc. (Or maybe OOBase would be more appropriate)

    Out of curiosity I think I'll glean a few extra details from the posts
    like the number of non-MS O/S users, the more popular newsreaders, the
    more common ISP's etc. Might be informative considering it's a computer
    group.

    I think I'll also keep (for myself) a few subjective descriptions like
    "well-regarded" or "nutter" etc

    So much to do....I hope I can find the time in between my train-spotting
    sessions and re-arranging the sock drawer :)

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Jul 2, 2007
  9. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Miguel wrote:

    > On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 06:59:19 +0000, bambam wrote:
    >
    >> Miguel <> wrote in news:f69nd1$sa1$:
    >>
    >> Here is a list of posters, with 10+ posts in the last 30 days. Might
    >> help start your list-
    >>
    >> Header-statistics for: From: (grouped by name) (based on msgs with
    >> bodies within last 30 days)
    >>
    >> nz.comp
    >> 1831 100.00% (probe count)
    >> 136 7.43% Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> 101 5.52% Fred Dagg
    >> 92 5.02% Shane
    >> 86 4.70% jack
    >> 71 3.88% ~misfit~
    >> 57 3.11% thingy
    >> 49 2.68% sam
    >> 46 2.51% Jonathan Walker
    >> 46 2.51% Bruce Sinclair
    >> 42 2.29% Allistar
    >> 41 2.24% impossible
    >> 39 2.13% peterwn
    >> 39 2.13% El Chippy
    >> 37 2.02% Richard
    >> 31 1.69% XPD
    >> 31 1.69% Enkidu
    >> 27 1.47% Chris Hope
    >> 26 1.42% Gordon
    >> 24 1.31% Jamie Kahn Genet
    >> 23 1.26% Andrew Lambert
    >> 23 1.26% EMB
    >> 22 1.20% Collector»NZ
    >> 21 1.15% Nik Coughlin
    >> 20 1.09% Peter
    >> 18 0.98% Jerry
    >> 18 0.98% Dave Taylor
    >> 17 0.93% Rob S
    >> 16 0.87% BTMO
    >> 15 0.82%
    >> 15 0.82% JohnO
    >> 15 0.82% Nicolaas Hawkins
    >> 14 0.76% muppet
    >> 14 0.76% Nighthawk
    >> 14 0.76% Mark Robinson
    >> 14 0.76% Miguel
    >> 13 0.71% Gib Bogle
    >> 13 0.71% Max Burke
    >> 12 0.66% Peter Huebner
    >> 12 0.66% JJ the parrot
    >> 12 0.66% frederick
    >> 12 0.66% Ray Greene
    >> 12 0.66% Don Hills
    >> 12 0.66% Malcolm
    >> 11 0.60% Matty F
    >> 10 0.55% bharmer
    >> 10 0.55% Jasen
    >> 10 0.55% *sling
    >> 10 0.55% Dave Doe

    > Hello bambam....Superb work. Saved me the effort. I guess now it's just
    > cut and paste into OOCalc. (Or maybe OOBase would be more appropriate)
    >
    > Out of curiosity I think I'll glean a few extra details from the posts
    > like the number of non-MS O/S users, the more popular newsreaders, the
    > more common ISP's etc. Might be informative considering it's a computer
    > group.
    >
    > I think I'll also keep (for myself) a few subjective descriptions like
    > "well-regarded" or "nutter" etc
    >
    > So much to do....I hope I can find the time in between my train-spotting
    > sessions and re-arranging the sock drawer :)
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    lol.
    NZ Trainspotting mailing list lurker here :)

    Unfortunately my sock drawers are in a mess..
    --
    "The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please, rotate your phone by 90
    degrees and try again..."

    Shane, Jul 2, 2007
  10. Shane

    bambam Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:37:47 +0200, Miguel wrote:

    > Hello bambam....Superb work. Saved me the effort.

    No worries.
    Will post some newsreader info later. :)

    bambam, Jul 2, 2007
  11. Shane

    bambam Guest

    bambam <> wrote in news:f6ana6$l9o$:

    > On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:37:47 +0200, Miguel wrote:

    >> Hello bambam....Superb work. Saved me the effort.

    > No worries.
    > Will post some newsreader info later. :)

    Ok, I think this is what you're looking for-

    Header-statistics for: Newsreader (grouped, per user)
    (based on msgs with bodies within last 30 days)

    nz.comp
    177 100.00% (probe count)
    35 19.77% "Microsoft Outlook"
    33 18.64% G2/1.0
    18 10.17% "Forte Agent"
    12 6.78% Thunderbird 1.5.0.12 (Windows/20070509)
    9 5.08% "Xnews"
    8 4.52% 40tude_Dialog/2.0.15.1
    8 4.52% "Mozilla/NetScape"
    8 4.52% "KNode"
    5 2.82% "Gravity"
    4 2.26% Thunderbird 2.0.0.0 (Windows/20070326)
    3 1.69% pan 0.119 (Karma Hunters)
    2 1.13% "MT-NewsWatcher"
    2 1.13% "Forte Free Agent"
    2 1.13% Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (X11/20070403)
    2 1.13% "slrn"
    2 1.13% pan 0.120 (Plate of Shrimp)
    24 13.56% (others)

    And out of the "others" group there does seem to be quite a few non MS
    newsreaders including-

    Halime (MacOSX)/1.0rc2b
    Mozilla-Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (X11/20070622)
    Claws Mail 2.8.0 (GTK+ 2.8.10; x86_64-suse-linux-gnu)
    Mozilla-Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (X11/20070618)
    Pan/0.128 (SR/CL: Leitmotiv: Toynbee Idea)
    Pan/0.129 (Benson & Hedges Moscow Gold)
    Claws Mail 2.9.2 (GTK+ 2.8.11; x86_64-suse-linux-gnu)
    VSoup v1.2.9.48Beta [OS/2]
    MacSOUP/2.8 (Mac OS X version 10.3.9 (PPC))

    So say about 30 non MS posters, out of 180 odd.
    Then you could add the 33 from google, as they are utilising linux to
    post.
    Think I'll stop now. ;)

    bambam, Jul 2, 2007
  12. Shane

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > Miguel <> wrote in news:f69nd1$sa1$:
    >
    > > Got me thinking....Google groups says there's "80 recent posters" in
    > > nz.comp but I'd be surprised if there's more than two or three dozen
    > > of us at most.
    > >
    > > I've decided to keep a "nz.comp posters" spreadsheet for a few
    > > months. It'll have columns such as "Name" "Operating System" "Level
    > > of Activity" "Helpfulness" "Newbie/User/Guru" "Degree of Sanity" etc
    > >
    > > It'll give me a chance to play around on OOCalc and save me from
    > > having to get a life :)

    > Here is a list of posters, with 10+ posts in the last 30 days.
    > Might help start your list-
    >
    > Header-statistics for: From: (grouped by name)
    > (based on msgs with bodies within last 30 days)
    >
    > nz.comp
    > 1831 100.00% (probe count)
    > 136 7.43% Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > 101 5.52% Fred Dagg
    > 92 5.02% Shane
    > 86 4.70% jack
    > 71 3.88% ~misfit~
    > 57 3.11% thingy
    > 49 2.68% sam
    > 46 2.51% Jonathan Walker
    > 46 2.51% Bruce Sinclair
    > 42 2.29% Allistar
    > 41 2.24% impossible
    > 39 2.13% peterwn
    > 39 2.13% El Chippy
    > 37 2.02% Richard
    > 31 1.69% XPD
    > 31 1.69% Enkidu
    > 27 1.47% Chris Hope
    > 26 1.42% Gordon
    > 24 1.31% Jamie Kahn Genet
    > 23 1.26% Andrew Lambert
    > 23 1.26% EMB
    > 22 1.20% Collector»NZ
    > 21 1.15% Nik Coughlin
    > 20 1.09% Peter
    > 18 0.98% Jerry
    > 18 0.98% Dave Taylor
    > 17 0.93% Rob S
    > 16 0.87% BTMO
    > 15 0.82%
    > 15 0.82% JohnO
    > 15 0.82% Nicolaas Hawkins
    > 14 0.76% muppet
    > 14 0.76% Nighthawk
    > 14 0.76% Mark Robinson
    > 14 0.76% Miguel
    > 13 0.71% Gib Bogle
    > 13 0.71% Max Burke
    > 12 0.66% Peter Huebner
    > 12 0.66% JJ the parrot
    > 12 0.66% frederick
    > 12 0.66% Ray Greene
    > 12 0.66% Don Hills
    > 12 0.66% Malcolm
    > 11 0.60% Matty F
    > 10 0.55% bharmer
    > 10 0.55% Jasen
    > 10 0.55% *sling
    > 10 0.55% Dave Doe

    Mother of God!!! I'm number 5 on the list for nz.comp? 71 posts in 30 days?
    <shakes head> I'd hate to think how many of them were off-topic. Might have
    to engage brain before posting in future. Now, where did I leave it? Hope I
    didn't stand in it. <peers vaguely at the floor>.......
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 2, 2007
  13. On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:49:58 +0000, bambam wrote:

    > Header-statistics for: Newsreader (grouped, per user) (based on msgs with
    > bodies within last 30 days)
    >
    > nz.comp
    > 177 100.00% (probe count)
    > 35 19.77% "Microsoft Outlook"
    > 33 18.64% G2/1.0
    > 18 10.17% "Forte Agent"
    > 12 6.78% Thunderbird 1.5.0.12 (Windows/20070509)
    > 9 5.08% "Xnews"
    > 8 4.52% 40tude_Dialog/2.0.15.1
    > 8 4.52% "Mozilla/NetScape"
    > 8 4.52% "KNode"
    > 5 2.82% "Gravity"
    > 4 2.26% Thunderbird 2.0.0.0 (Windows/20070326)
    > 3 1.69% pan 0.119 (Karma Hunters)
    > 2 1.13% "MT-NewsWatcher"
    > 2 1.13% "Forte Free Agent"
    > 2 1.13% Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (X11/20070403)
    > 2 1.13% "slrn"
    > 2 1.13% pan 0.120 (Plate of Shrimp)
    > 24 13.56% (others)
    >
    > And out of the "others" group there does seem to be quite a few non MS
    > newsreaders including-
    >
    > Halime (MacOSX)/1.0rc2b
    > Mozilla-Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (X11/20070622)
    > Claws Mail 2.8.0 (GTK+ 2.8.10; x86_64-suse-linux-gnu)
    > Mozilla-Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (X11/20070618)
    > Pan/0.128 (SR/CL: Leitmotiv: Toynbee Idea)
    > Pan/0.129 (Benson & Hedges Moscow Gold)
    > Claws Mail 2.9.2 (GTK+ 2.8.11; x86_64-suse-linux-gnu)
    > VSoup v1.2.9.48Beta [OS/2]
    > MacSOUP/2.8 (Mac OS X version 10.3.9 (PPC))
    >

    > So say about 30 non MS posters, out of 180 odd. Then you could add the
    > 33 from google, as they are utilising linux to post. Think I'll stop now. ;)

    I counted, from your post, only 80 that either self-identified as running
    on Windows or I knew only ran on Windows, 33 that were known to run only
    on MacOS, and 22 that I knew ran almost exclusively on *nix. I did not
    count the "others", as no numbers were identified.

    There were 18 that did not specify the platform that they were running on,
    and I did not know whether to put them into *doze or *nix or MacOS.

    Thus:
    80 definitely Windows
    55 definitely non-Windows
    22 could be either
    24 unspecified.

    Doesn't that look a little bit different from your "30 non MS posters"?

    Jonathan Walker, Jul 2, 2007
  14. Shane

    Shane Guest

    bambam wrote:

    > bambam <> wrote in news:f6ana6$l9o$:
    >
    >> On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:37:47 +0200, Miguel wrote:

    >>> Hello bambam....Superb work. Saved me the effort.

    >> No worries.
    >> Will post some newsreader info later. :)

    > Ok, I think this is what you're looking for-
    >
    > Header-statistics for: Newsreader (grouped, per user)
    > (based on msgs with bodies within last 30 days)
    >
    > nz.comp
    > 177 100.00% (probe count)
    > 35 19.77% "Microsoft Outlook"
    > 33 18.64% G2/1.0
    > 18 10.17% "Forte Agent"
    > 12 6.78% Thunderbird 1.5.0.12 (Windows/20070509)
    > 9 5.08% "Xnews"
    > 8 4.52% 40tude_Dialog/2.0.15.1
    > 8 4.52% "Mozilla/NetScape"
    > 8 4.52% "KNode"
    > 5 2.82% "Gravity"
    > 4 2.26% Thunderbird 2.0.0.0 (Windows/20070326)
    > 3 1.69% pan 0.119 (Karma Hunters)
    > 2 1.13% "MT-NewsWatcher"
    > 2 1.13% "Forte Free Agent"
    > 2 1.13% Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (X11/20070403)
    > 2 1.13% "slrn"
    > 2 1.13% pan 0.120 (Plate of Shrimp)
    > 24 13.56% (others)
    >
    > And out of the "others" group there does seem to be quite a few non MS
    > newsreaders including-
    >
    > Halime (MacOSX)/1.0rc2b
    > Mozilla-Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (X11/20070622)
    > Claws Mail 2.8.0 (GTK+ 2.8.10; x86_64-suse-linux-gnu)
    > Mozilla-Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (X11/20070618)
    > Pan/0.128 (SR/CL: Leitmotiv: Toynbee Idea)
    > Pan/0.129 (Benson & Hedges Moscow Gold)
    > Claws Mail 2.9.2 (GTK+ 2.8.11; x86_64-suse-linux-gnu)
    > VSoup v1.2.9.48Beta [OS/2]
    > MacSOUP/2.8 (Mac OS X version 10.3.9 (PPC))
    >

    > So say about 30 non MS posters, out of 180 odd.
    > Then you could add the 33 from google, as they are utilising linux to
    > post.
    > Think I'll stop now. ;)

    How are you compiling these figures?
    In one breath you say Lawrence and I are 2 of the top three posters. Yet we
    both use KNode which only amounts to 4.52%
    I know there are other KNode users in this NG.

    --
    Q: Who knows everything there is to be known about vector analysis?
    A: The Oracle of del phi!

    Shane, Jul 2, 2007
  15. Shane

    El Chippy Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 07:29:00 +1200, Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > I counted, from your post, only 80 that either self-identified as
    > running on Windows or I knew only ran on Windows, 33 that were known to
    > run only on MacOS, and 22 that I knew ran almost exclusively on *nix. I
    > did not count the "others", as no numbers were identified.
    >
    > There were 18 that did not specify the platform that they were running
    > on, and I did not know whether to put them into *doze or *nix or MacOS.
    >
    > Thus:
    > 80 definitely Windows
    > 55 definitely non-Windows
    > 22 could be either
    > 24 unspecified.
    >
    > Doesn't that look a little bit different from your "30 non MS posters"?

    Those numbers don't add up.
    You have somehow got 181 results from a sample of 177.

    Try:
    89 Windows only (Outlook, Gravity, 40tude, Forte, Xnews & Thunderbird/
    windows)
    4 MacOS
    1 OS/2
    43 could be anything (Google groups + slrn + Mozilla/Netscape)
    24 Linux/Unix (Knode + Thunderbird/X11 & Claws Mail)
    7 Pan which could be Windows or Linux.

    which leaves 7 unaccounted for in the "others", one of which should be
    pan 0.131 on windows (Me)

    El Chippy, Jul 2, 2007
  16. Shane

    impossible Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > bambam wrote:
    >
    >> bambam <> wrote in news:f6ana6$l9o$:

    >>> No worries.
    >>> Will post some newsreader info later. :)

    >> Ok, I think this is what you're looking for-
    >>
    >> Header-statistics for: Newsreader (grouped, per user)
    >> (based on msgs with bodies within last 30 days)
    >>
    >> nz.comp
    >> 177 100.00% (probe count)
    >> 35 19.77% "Microsoft Outlook"
    >> 33 18.64% G2/1.0
    >> 18 10.17% "Forte Agent"
    >> 12 6.78% Thunderbird 1.5.0.12 (Windows/20070509)
    >> 9 5.08% "Xnews"
    >> 8 4.52% 40tude_Dialog/2.0.15.1
    >> 8 4.52% "Mozilla/NetScape"
    >> 8 4.52% "KNode"
    >> 5 2.82% "Gravity"
    >> 4 2.26% Thunderbird 2.0.0.0 (Windows/20070326)
    >> 3 1.69% pan 0.119 (Karma Hunters)
    >> 2 1.13% "MT-NewsWatcher"
    >> 2 1.13% "Forte Free Agent"
    >> 2 1.13% Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (X11/20070403)
    >> 2 1.13% "slrn"
    >> 2 1.13% pan 0.120 (Plate of Shrimp)
    >> 24 13.56% (others)
    >>
    >> And out of the "others" group there does seem to be quite a few non MS
    >> newsreaders including-
    >>
    >> Halime (MacOSX)/1.0rc2b
    >> Mozilla-Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (X11/20070622)
    >> Claws Mail 2.8.0 (GTK+ 2.8.10; x86_64-suse-linux-gnu)
    >> Mozilla-Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (X11/20070618)
    >> Pan/0.128 (SR/CL: Leitmotiv: Toynbee Idea)
    >> Pan/0.129 (Benson & Hedges Moscow Gold)
    >> Claws Mail 2.9.2 (GTK+ 2.8.11; x86_64-suse-linux-gnu)
    >> VSoup v1.2.9.48Beta [OS/2]
    >> MacSOUP/2.8 (Mac OS X version 10.3.9 (PPC))
    >>

    >> So say about 30 non MS posters, out of 180 odd.
    >> Then you could add the 33 from google, as they are utilising linux to
    >> post.
    >> Think I'll stop now. ;)

    > How are you compiling these figures?
    > In one breath you say Lawrence and I are 2 of the top three posters. Yet
    > we
    > both use KNode which only amounts to 4.52%
    > I know there are other KNode users in this NG.

    As I understand the figures, there are 177 individual users being studied,
    who have contributed 1831 separate messages. A total of 8 users (you and
    Lawrence included, I take it) are running KNode -- 4.53% of all users. But
    you and Lawrence have together posted 228 messages -- or 12.45% of the
    total. No contradiction there.

    impossible, Jul 2, 2007
  17. Shane

    bambam Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in

    >> How are you compiling these figures?
    >> In one breath you say Lawrence and I are 2 of the top three posters.
    >> Yet we
    >> both use KNode which only amounts to 4.52%
    >> I know there are other KNode users in this NG.

    > As I understand the figures, there are 177 individual users being
    > studied, who have contributed 1831 separate messages. A total of 8
    > users (you and Lawrence included, I take it) are running KNode --
    > 4.53% of all users. But you and Lawrence have together posted 228
    > messages -- or 12.45% of the total. No contradiction there.

    Exactly right.
    We might also conclude, that KNode users, have far too much time on their
    hands, or maybe that people with too much time on their hands, use KNode.
    Damn lies and statistics.

    bambam, Jul 3, 2007
  18. Shane

    bambam Guest

    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote in

    > How are you compiling these figures?
    > In one breath you say Lawrence and I are 2 of the top three posters.
    > Yet we both use KNode which only amounts to 4.52%
    > I know there are other KNode users in this NG.

    I use "Hamfind" in association with Hamster.
    As Miguel was trying to figure the number of non MS posters, I posted the
    (grouped, per user) stats, which doesn't take into account your volume of
    posts. What it does show, is that 8 different users posted using KNode in
    the last 30 days.
    These figures should be taken with a grain of salt, as should all
    statistics.

    bambam, Jul 3, 2007
  19. Shane

    Shane Guest

    bambam wrote:

    > Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote in
    >
    >> How are you compiling these figures?
    >> In one breath you say Lawrence and I are 2 of the top three posters.
    >> Yet we both use KNode which only amounts to 4.52%
    >> I know there are other KNode users in this NG.

    > I use "Hamfind" in association with Hamster.
    > As Miguel was trying to figure the number of non MS posters, I posted the
    > (grouped, per user) stats, which doesn't take into account your volume of
    > posts. What it does show, is that 8 different users posted using KNode in
    > the last 30 days.

    Yeah my mistake...
    No excusejust wasnt awake :)

    --
    Q: What's yellow, normed, and complete?
    A: A Bananach space.

    Shane, Jul 3, 2007
  20. Shane

    Miguel Guest

    > bambam wrote:
    >
    > These figures should be taken with a grain of salt, as should all
    > statistics.

    Hello again bambam....Grain of salt or not you've pretty much supplied
    all of the info I was curious about. Once again, many thanks.

    In the grand tradition of not re-inventing the wheel I've decided to
    scrap the spreadsheet idea and just go back to sorting out the sock
    drawer. You can never have too many socks nicely folded and ironed :)

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Jul 3, 2007