    after or not, and how do i get updates????

    Many Thanks
    Jonno

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9ubm8=?=, Dec 23, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9ubm8=?=

    Theo Guest

    You follow the links on Microsoft's web site for purchasing
    a legal copy of Windows XP and you will then have full
    access to updates.

    Start here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx?displaylang=en

    Are you in the right group?

    This is for Windows x64 (64-bit).

    Theo, Dec 23, 2006

  3. The short and simple answer is to go out and buy a full, retail copy of
    Windows XP and install it. Your cousin did you no favours at all, and now
    it's time to pay for that. You should be able to do a "repair install" on
    top of your existing version and not lose anything critical, while ensuring
    that your PC is running a full, genuine, copy of Windows XP.

    Running without updates is simply insuring that you _will_ end up with
    malware and root kits and viruses and who knows what on your computer.
    Unfortunately, there's virtually no way to avoid it if you don't have the
    latest patches installed, since the folks who write malicious software will
    take advantage of every known exploit in a matter of minutes.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 23, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9ubm8=?=

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    he doesnt have to re-install. He just need a valid serial number, which can
    be updated and validated without rebuilding the PC. Then he can get all the
    updates he needs.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Dec 24, 2006
  5. If he's been running for a while without updates, I would personally prefer
    to do a repair install. No, he doesn't technically need to. But I would.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 24, 2006
  6. I wouldn't trust the source of the XP on the hard drive now. Who knows what
    evil lurks.... Absolutely a clean install.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 24, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9ubm8=?=

    Dshai Guest

    He may need to anyway, that would depend on what the disk is that his was
    installed from, I'm guessing either a Corporate disk with a generated key or
    an All Windows disk with a little manipulation.

    Dshai

    Dshai, Dec 24, 2006