    Bret Guest

    Finally finished KDE emerge and have a working desktop :)
    It took a long time.
    Bret, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Bret wrote:
    > Finally finished KDE emerge and have a working desktop :)
    > It took a long time.

    well done.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 22, 2004

  3. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:13:55 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Bret wrote:
    >> Finally finished KDE emerge and have a working desktop :)
    >> It took a long time.

    > well done.

    Time will tell if its well done, but it is done :)
    Bret, Nov 22, 2004
  4. Bret

    Allistar Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:13:55 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Bret wrote:
    >>> Finally finished KDE emerge and have a working desktop :)
    >>> It took a long time.

    >> well done.

    > Time will tell if its well done, but it is done :)

    Try prelinking to speed up applicatiomn startup.

    Also, I assume you used xorg instead of XFree86. I recently found a good way
    to make your fonts prettier, follow the instructinos on this site:

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts

    Hope this helps,
    Allistar.
    Allistar, Nov 22, 2004
  5. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:39:02 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > Bret wrote:

    >>> well done.

    >> Time will tell if its well done, but it is done :)

    > Try prelinking to speed up applicatiomn startup.
    >
    > Also, I assume you used xorg instead of XFree86. I recently found a good way
    > to make your fonts prettier, follow the instructinos on this site:
    >
    > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Allistar.

    Yes I did use Xorg Allistair, thanks for the link I will check it out.
    Managed to use the remote desktop to log into the box, I can get roid of
    the monitor on the floor now :)
    Bret, Nov 22, 2004
  6. Bret

    Allistar Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:39:02 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> Bret wrote:

    >>> Time will tell if its well done, but it is done :)

    >> Try prelinking to speed up applicatiomn startup.
    >>
    >> Also, I assume you used xorg instead of XFree86. I recently found a good
    >> way to make your fonts prettier, follow the instructinos on this site:
    >>
    >> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts
    >>
    >> Hope this helps,
    >> Allistar.

    > Yes I did use Xorg Allistair, thanks for the link I will check it out.
    > Managed to use the remote desktop to log into the box, I can get roid of
    > the monitor on the floor now :)

    I use NXClient (from NoMachine) for remote access. It's basically remote X
    Windows with compression thrown in, communicating over an ssh tunnel (so
    it's secure). The client is available for both Linux and Windows. You can
    simply "emerge" it into Gentoo to get it up and running.

    Check out the "Transparency under X" topic at www.gentoo-wiki.com. I now
    have proper translucency and drop shadows on any/all windows in KDE. It is
    a bit of a gimmick, and it still not 100% stable, but the eye candy is
    nice.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Nov 23, 2004
  7. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:13:08 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > Bret wrote:

    >>> Try prelinking to speed up applicatiomn startup.
    >>>
    >>> Also, I assume you used xorg instead of XFree86. I recently found a good
    >>> way to make your fonts prettier, follow the instructinos on this site:
    >>>
    >>> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts
    >>>
    >>> Hope this helps,
    >>> Allistar.

    >> Yes I did use Xorg Allistair, thanks for the link I will check it out.
    >> Managed to use the remote desktop to log into the box, I can get roid of
    >> the monitor on the floor now :)

    > I use NXClient (from NoMachine) for remote access. It's basically remote X
    > Windows with compression thrown in, communicating over an ssh tunnel (so
    > it's secure). The client is available for both Linux and Windows. You can
    > simply "emerge" it into Gentoo to get it up and running.
    >
    > Check out the "Transparency under X" topic at www.gentoo-wiki.com. I now
    > have proper translucency and drop shadows on any/all windows in KDE. It is
    > a bit of a gimmick, and it still not 100% stable, but the eye candy is
    > nice.
    >
    > Allistar.

    Will do, thanks.
    Bret, Nov 23, 2004