Gentoo 1.4 Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    I've been through the Stage 3 version of the Gentoo linux install.

    This is a cool distro! Instead of throwing in the kitchen sink, it let's you
    build your own system as you go....and the documentation is very good -
    helping you to work out what you need.

    It definitely helps to have some purpose in mind. In this case, I want the
    PC concerned to be a Personal Video Recorder (PVR) using MythTV.

    A Gentoo install isn't a 30 minute thing, but you do end up with a system
    customised to your hardware - and mainly compiled on your system.

    I have KDE 3.1.4 running as the window manager...and it's all very snappy -
    even allowing for the high setting of the 'eye-candy' scale in the Control
    Centre".

    Installing it on an nForce2 chipset, Abit mobo with an added nVidia
    GF4-MX420 video card was no issue at all.

    The only stumble I had was when manually configuring the bootloader - grub -
    I didn't realise there was to be NO space between:

    "kernel (hd1,0)" and "/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/hdb2"

    So at first, the boot couldn't find the kernel. With a bit of nzlug help on
    that one, I was up and running.

    steve, Nov 3, 2003

  2. steve

    harry Guest

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:32:37 +1300, steve wrote:

    > I've been through the Stage 3 version of the Gentoo linux install.
    >
    > This is a cool distro! Instead of throwing in the kitchen sink, it let's you
    > build your own system as you go....and the documentation is very good -
    > helping you to work out what you need.
    >
    > It definitely helps to have some purpose in mind. In this case, I want the
    > PC concerned to be a Personal Video Recorder (PVR) using MythTV.
    >
    > A Gentoo install isn't a 30 minute thing, but you do end up with a system
    > customised to your hardware - and mainly compiled on your system.
    >
    > I have KDE 3.1.4 running as the window manager...and it's all very snappy -
    > even allowing for the high setting of the 'eye-candy' scale in the Control
    > Centre".
    >
    > Installing it on an nForce2 chipset, Abit mobo with an added nVidia
    > GF4-MX420 video card was no issue at all.
    >
    > The only stumble I had was when manually configuring the bootloader - grub -
    > I didn't realise there was to be NO space between:
    >
    > "kernel (hd1,0)" and "/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/hdb2"
    >
    > So at first, the boot couldn't find the kernel. With a bit of nzlug help on
    > that one, I was up and running.

    grub is the best bootloader once you get to know it.
    I came across an article that might interest you, using pxe boot for
    mythtv and freevo
    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=281
    http://linpvr.org/
    http://www.freevix.org/

    Heres an article on getting your TV out working
    http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=01/05/29/2147241&mode=thread
    And a project for that too
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out
    MythTV looks like a great project, let us know how it goes.

    harry, Nov 3, 2003

  3. steve

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:32:37 +1300, steve wrote:

    > A Gentoo install isn't a 30 minute thing

    Oh, my God - that's gotta be the understatement of the year!

    I tried Gentoo over a year ago.

    Highlights:
    * source packages are up to twice as large as binary packages,
    so take up to twice as long to download
    * configuration/compilation of sources takes approx twice as long
    as the download over 128k jetstart
    * several basic packages were broken - one or more of:
    - wouldn't compile
    - emerge didn't download prerequisite packages
    - packages got installed with non-working configs, requiring me to:
    read manuals, beg for help on IRC channel and mailing list, and/or
    read source code

    I got sick of this brokenness, and switched back to Debian. Rather a
    surprise that my box goes from power-up to usable desktop much quicker
    than Gentoo ever did.

    EB

    Evil Bastard, Nov 7, 2003