GENRE ONLINE Update

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Writer R5, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. Writer R5

    Writer R5 Guest

    Dear Mr. Rivera,

    Your explanation of the situation coupled with the fact that the complaint
    volume against your domain name is not enough to cause a major concern, is
    satisfactory. We have made the appropriate notes and will consider this matter
    closed.

    Thank you for your cooperation.

    Spam and Abuse Department
    GoDaddy.com

    Thank you to everyone who supported my efforts. Contrary to what some might
    have written, I pulled the site from GoDaddy's server myself. It will be
    available presently, but in light of the recent events I will not be posting
    review links to this newsgroup. If anyone is interested in receiving updates,
    they can send an e-mail to and simply place the word
    subscribe in the subject. You can also unsubscribe if you should ever change
    your mind. This way the whole issue of SPAM, which has been a headache for
    everyone regardless of which side you are on is avoided and everyone hopefully
    is happy. Please note that if you were already on my e-mail newsletter list to
    receive GENRE ONLINE updates, you must subscribe at in
    order to continue receiving them. I will still participate in group discussions
    like anyone else and my signature remains the same, but there will be no more
    review links posted here. Thank you.
    GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    http://www.genreonline.net
    Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster

    Writer R5, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Writer R5

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Writer R5 wrote:
    > Dear Mr. Rivera,
    >
    > Your explanation of the situation coupled with the fact that the
    > complaint volume against your domain name is not enough to cause a
    > major concern, is satisfactory. We have made the appropriate notes
    > and will consider this matter closed.
    >
    > Thank you for your cooperation.
    >
    > Spam and Abuse Department
    > GoDaddy.com
    >
    > Thank you to everyone who supported my efforts. Contrary to what some
    > might have written, I pulled the site from GoDaddy's server myself.
    > It will be available presently, but in light of the recent events I
    > will not be posting review links to this newsgroup. If anyone is
    > interested in receiving updates, they can send an e-mail to
    > and simply place the word subscribe in the
    > subject. You can also unsubscribe if you should ever change your
    > mind. This way the whole issue of SPAM, which has been a headache for
    > everyone regardless of which side you are on is avoided and everyone
    > hopefully is happy. Please note that if you were already on my e-mail
    > newsletter list to receive GENRE ONLINE updates, you must subscribe
    > at in order to continue receiving them. I
    > will still participate in group discussions like anyone else and my
    > signature remains the same, but there will be no more review links
    > posted here. Thank you.
    > GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
    > http://www.genreonline.net
    > Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster

    The terrorists win!

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jul 21, 2004

  3. Writer R5

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > Your explanation of the situation coupled with the fact that the complaint
    > volume against your domain name is not enough to cause a major concern, is
    > satisfactory. We have made the appropriate notes and will consider this
    > matter
    > closed.

    Glad to hear they listened to reason. Go back to posting links; I'm sure
    everyone other than the two vocal opponents won't mind a bit.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Jul 21, 2004
  4. Writer R5

    TSKO Guest

    "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > > Your explanation of the situation coupled with the fact that the

    complaint
    > > volume against your domain name is not enough to cause a major concern,

    is
    > > satisfactory. We have made the appropriate notes and will consider this
    > > matter
    > > closed.

    > Glad to hear they listened to reason. Go back to posting links; I'm sure
    > everyone other than the two vocal opponents won't mind a bit.
    >
    > Mike Jackson
    > Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    > www.dvdverdict.com

    Keep up the good work!!

    TSKO, Jul 21, 2004
  5. Writer R5

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >> Your explanation of the situation coupled with the fact that the
    >> complaint volume against your domain name is not enough to cause a
    >> major concern, is satisfactory. We have made the appropriate notes
    >> and will consider this matter
    >> closed.

    > Glad to hear they listened to reason. Go back to posting links; I'm
    > sure everyone other than the two vocal opponents won't mind a bit.

    I'm sure he would--if he was telling the truth about this. It's safe to
    assume that there's more to the story than what he has divulged or he
    would go right back to doing what he was doing.

    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

    FAQmeister, Jul 21, 2004
  6. Writer R5

    Writer R5 Guest

    Thank you. I'd love post links to the newsgroup as I had before for the last 4
    and a half years, but I don't want the headache of dealing with people who
    think that what I do is spamming and then things get ugly. As it is now I think
    it is better to let things be. I could go on and on, but what else can I type?
    I'll still participate in the group and anyone can subscribe to the updates at
    , but the attack on my livelihood was very upsetting.
    These people are determined police a newsgroup with self made FAQs that are not
    legitimate, especially because this is an ALT. newsgroup. There are tons of
    people who post links to reviews, news, and whatnot, but these members had at
    in for me and even though GoDaddy sided with me, who needs the angry rants?

    If they are determined to police the Internet with benevolent intentions then
    fine, but if not then sooner or later they will find themselves in trouble.
    It's only a matter of time. In the meantime I'm going to continue writing
    reviews and posting them on my site. If there was one thing I can thank them
    for it is that it made me appreciate what I do more now than ever. So with all
    sarcasm aside, Thanks...

    Mark

    Writer R5, Jul 21, 2004
  7. Writer R5

    Lookingglass Guest

    I just put faqmeister/buford t justice into the killfile... I won't have to
    read him anymore... he sure spams alot...

    Dave Chabot www.Shemakhan.com

    Lookingglass, Jul 21, 2004
  8. Writer R5

    FPP Guest

    In article <cdm3ht$1sn$>,
    "FAQmeister" <> wrote:

    > "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > >> Your explanation of the situation coupled with the fact that the
    > >> complaint volume against your domain name is not enough to cause a
    > >> major concern, is satisfactory. We have made the appropriate notes
    > >> and will consider this matter
    > >> closed.

    > > Glad to hear they listened to reason. Go back to posting links; I'm
    > > sure everyone other than the two vocal opponents won't mind a bit.

    > I'm sure he would--if he was telling the truth about this. It's safe to
    > assume that there's more to the story than what he has divulged or he
    > would go right back to doing what he was doing.

    Mark, it's obvious that *whatever* you do, it won't please those who
    started this Crusade.

    Stop posting links, if that's what you WANT - but don't think that will
    silence the critics. It won't.

    Some people took honest issue with your methods, and their opinions
    should be respected, whether you agree or disagree.

    A few other people are just full of shit, and you know who *they* are.

    Take them for what they're worth.

    Fred

    --
    "Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes,
    because by then, you're a mile away, you've got his shoes,

    FPP, Jul 21, 2004
  9. Writer R5

    Justin Guest

    FAQmeister wrote on [Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:53:47 -0700]:
    > "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >>> Your explanation of the situation coupled with the fact that the
    >>> complaint volume against your domain name is not enough to cause a
    >>> major concern, is satisfactory. We have made the appropriate notes
    >>> and will consider this matter
    >>> closed.

    >> Glad to hear they listened to reason. Go back to posting links; I'm
    >> sure everyone other than the two vocal opponents won't mind a bit.

    > I'm sure he would--if he was telling the truth about this. It's safe to
    > assume that there's more to the story than what he has divulged or he
    > would go right back to doing what he was doing.

    You know what, while I agree with you that he was spamming, you're a
    real dick. Is there any reason to call him a liar in this regard?

    Justin, Jul 21, 2004
  10. Writer R5

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > FAQmeister wrote on [Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:53:47 -0700]:
    >> "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Glad to hear they listened to reason. Go back to posting links; I'm
    >>> sure everyone other than the two vocal opponents won't mind a bit.

    >> I'm sure he would--if he was telling the truth about this. It's safe
    >> to assume that there's more to the story than what he has divulged
    >> or he would go right back to doing what he was doing.

    > You know what, while I agree with you that he was spamming, you're a
    > real dick. Is there any reason to call him a liar in this regard?

    If I was a real dick, I would have laughed at his discomfort or danced
    around and said 'Ha Ha, I told you so" when he first posted that he was
    having problems with GoDaddy. I wished him luck instead.

    And I didn't call him a liar now. I indicated that I thought he wasn't
    telling the whole truth.

    Just my opinion of course, based on the things he said prior to this
    "swan song."

    How many times have I been attacked, accused of having some hidden
    agenda, trying to take over the group, called a liar, a spammer and lots
    of other rather unpleasant things? Excuse me for expressing an opinion
    on the believability of a "strategic withdrawal" statement by someone
    who said (in effect) that he would fight to the bitter end for his right
    to post his link spam in this group.

    FAQmeister, Jul 21, 2004
  11. In article <> (Wed, 21 Jul
    2004 13:22:33 -0400), FPP wrote:

    > Stop posting links, if that's what you WANT - but don't think that will
    > silence the critics. It won't.

    There are those who criticized his web pages, his writing, his film
    knowledge, his Amazon links, etc. No one can silence these critics.

    > A few other people are just full of shit, and you know who *they* are.

    Yes, quite a few newbies argued that somehow the link spam wasn't spam but
    they failed. You, and they, remain so to this day.

    Hamilcar Barca, Jul 21, 2004
  12. In article <cdlr54$e91$> (Wed, 21 Jul 2004 06:30:11 -0700),
    Mike Kohary wrote:

    > Writer R5 wrote:
    >> [...]

    > The terrorists win!

    I disagreed with your opinion, and showed how they were not shared
    by the rest of the Internet.

    Now, however, you've declared your complete and utter moral bankruptcy.

    Hamilcar Barca, Jul 21, 2004
  13. Writer R5

    FAQmeister Guest

    "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >> FAQmeister wrote on [Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:53:47 -0700]:
    >>> "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message

    >>> I'm sure he would--if he was telling the truth about this. It's safe
    >>> to assume that there's more to the story than what he has divulged
    >>> or he would go right back to doing what he was doing.

    >> You know what, while I agree with you that he was spamming, you're a
    >> real dick. Is there any reason to call him a liar in this regard?

    > If I was a real dick, I would have laughed at his discomfort or danced
    > around and said 'Ha Ha, I told you so" when he first posted that he
    > was having problems with GoDaddy. I wished him luck instead.
    >
    > And I didn't call him a liar now. I indicated that I thought he wasn't
    > telling the whole truth.
    >
    > Just my opinion of course, based on the things he said prior to this
    > "swan song."
    >
    > How many times have I been attacked, accused of having some hidden
    > agenda, trying to take over the group, called a liar, a spammer and
    > lots of other rather unpleasant things? Excuse me for expressing an
    > opinion on the believability of a "strategic withdrawal" statement by
    > someone who said (in effect) that he would fight to the bitter end
    > for his right to post his link spam in this group.

    For what it's worth, if Genre Online were to modify his posts in the
    same way that the DVDverdict guy did, i.e. add some actual content to
    accompany the links, then he would make it difficult to impossible for
    anyone to make a case for a BI violation.

    FAQmeister, Jul 21, 2004
  14. Writer R5

    Writer R5 Guest

    >I just put faqmeister/buford t justice into the killfile... I won't have to
    >read him anymore... he sure spams alot...
    >

    >Dave Chabot www.Shemakhan.com

    I did that too a long time ago, but one can still read the spam he writes when
    people argue with him.

    Writer R5, Jul 22, 2004
  15. Writer R5

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Writer R5" <> wrote in message
    >> I just put faqmeister/buford t justice into the killfile... I won't
    >> have to read him anymore... he sure spams alot...

    > I did that too a long time ago, but one can still read the spam he
    > writes when people argue with him.

    LOL
    Of course "Spam" now means anything they don't like.

    FAQmeister, Jul 22, 2004
  16. In article <cdn3r7$lom$> (Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:04:54 -0700),
    FAQmeister wrote:

    > "Writer R5" <> wrote in message
    >>> I just put faqmeister/buford t justice into the killfile... I won't
    >>> have to read him anymore... he sure spams alot...

    >> I did that too a long time ago, but one can still read the spam he
    >> writes when people argue with him.
    >>

    > Of course "Spam" now means anything they don't like.

    "Spammers attempt to re-define "spamming" as that which they do not do."

    http://bruce.pennypacker.org/spamrules.html

    Hamilcar Barca, Jul 22, 2004
  17. Writer R5

    JWB Guest

    "Writer R5" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you. I'd love post links to the newsgroup as I had before for the

    last 4
    > and a half years, but I don't want the headache of dealing with people who
    > think that what I do is spamming and then things get ugly. As it is now I

    think
    > it is better to let things be. I could go on and on, but what else can I

    type?

    why don't you post a message once a week containing a list of all the DVD's
    you reviewed for the week, a brief "week that was" paragraph, maybe a
    "coming next week" list, and just have your one sig link?

    I can't see how our self-appointed spam police would have a problem with
    that.

    JWB, Jul 22, 2004
  18. Writer R5

    Mark Spatny Guest

    JWB, says...
    > why don't you post a message once a week containing a list of all the DVD's
    > you reviewed for the week, a brief "week that was" paragraph, maybe a
    > "coming next week" list, and just have your one sig link?
    >
    > I can't see how our self-appointed spam police would have a problem with
    > that.

    I agree. I'd hate to loose your review updates on the group. It just
    seems like caving in.

    Mark Spatny, Jul 22, 2004
  19. Writer R5

    Mike Kohary Guest

    JWB wrote:
    > "Writer R5" <> wrote in message
    >> Thank you. I'd love post links to the newsgroup as I had before for
    >> the last 4 and a half years, but I don't want the headache of
    >> dealing with people who think that what I do is spamming and then
    >> things get ugly. As it is now I think it is better to let things be.
    >> I could go on and on, but what else can I type?

    > why don't you post a message once a week containing a list of all the
    > DVD's you reviewed for the week, a brief "week that was" paragraph,
    > maybe a "coming next week" list, and just have your one sig link?
    >
    > I can't see how our self-appointed spam police would have a problem
    > with that.

    Oh, I'm pretty sure the anal-retentives can find just about anything to have
    a problem with. That'll happen when you have no other life to take stock
    of.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jul 22, 2004
  20. Writer R5

    Writer R5 Guest

    >I can't see how our self-appointed spam police would have a problem with
    >that.

    I'd love to do that and that is what e-mail subscribers to
    will receive, but at this point I can imagine the self
    appointed spam police having a problem with anything I do.

    Writer R5, Jul 22, 2004