GENRE ONLINE TURNS 4!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Writer R5, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. Writer R5

    Writer R5 Guest

    Since October 29, 1999 I have been reviewing media almost exclusively for my
    website “GENRE ONLINE.NET,†but it is still hard for me to believe that
    four years could pass by so fast. I started reviewing films a year before for
    several other websites and after that year I decided to go it alone. Originally
    the site was simply called “GENRE†in it’s first incarnation, but once I
    realized someone already had the rights to that publication name I changed the
    name of the site to “GENRE ONLINE.†For the first two and a half years I
    published the reviews using America Online’s free web space. When support for
    Personal Publisher by AOL ended, I reluctantly moved the site to AOL’s free
    Hometown web space and figuring that most genre films spawn sequels, I changed
    the name of the site slightly to “GENRE ONLINE II†until I finally felt
    secure enough with my work that I purchased a domain name and moved the site to
    it’s current location at www.genreonline.net and subsequently the name of the
    website changed to “GENRE ONLINE.NET†along with the move.

    All of my reviews published on AOL’s free web space during the early days
    remain archived and available in three “Original GENRE ONLINE Archivesâ€
    menus that can be easily accessed by simply visiting the Archives Page of the
    website. After four years I have published approximately 1650 media reviews
    with 1431 of them being DVD reviews. They are all broken down as follows.
    Please note that I stopped reviewing VCD and especially VHS, and Laserdisc long
    ago, but they are archived and can be accessed by anyone who may be interested
    in reading them so here is the exact breakdown in numbers to how many of what I
    actually reviewed in the last four years to total 1650 media reviews:

    DVD – 1431

    TV – 101

    VCD – 77

    Multimedia – 28

    VHS – 10

    Laserdisc – 1

    CD Soundtracks – 2

    I pride myself in part for actually doing everything on this website myself and
    keeping it straightforward and simple while still adding personal touches and
    insights to my reviews that often go beyond the realm of media itself and
    explore the nature of storytelling and whatnot. There is no way I could have
    ever gotten this far without the support of the major studios and independent
    distributors alike and their representatives as well as the networks and
    software developers. I also could not have gotten this far without the support
    of the readers, who have been the greatest teachers an Internet Journalist
    could ever have. They let me know what they like and what they don’t like and
    in the process have helped me to improve upon my work. I also must thank the
    kind letters of support I have received from Film and TV Directors, Producers,
    and Writers as well as other colleagues in this business that have encouraged
    and inspired me. Very special thanks to Cult Film Guru Joe Bob Briggs and Hugo
    Award Winning Science Fiction Novelist and Scientist David Brin for endorsing
    my site. I have great respect for both of these men and know they do not give
    their endorsements lightly so it is an honor for me that I will never forget.
    Finally to my close friends on and offline and my family, thank you for your
    unconditional support and belief in my abilities.

    So that is my “State of the Union†address for this year. It might have
    been long and even a bit wordy, but it comes straight from my heart. Peace.

    Yours truly,
    Mark A. Rivera
    Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster
    GENRE ONLINE.NET
    The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More!
    http://www.genreonline.net
    Please drop by and visit… Thank you!
    Writer R5, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Writer R5

    Guest

    You used to have my respect but you lost it.
    , Oct 29, 2003

  3. Writer R5

    Will Guest

    <> wrote in message

    | You used to have my respect but you lost it.

    What saddens me is that it is clear that the advertising here on
    alt.video.dvd is designed soley to drive up hits for his website, so he
    can say to the studios "look, you should continue to send me free
    screener copies, because I get a million hits per month."

    Whereas, the sites that actually really try hard to do reviews don't
    advertise here, because the quality of their reviews speak for
    themselves.

    So here's to four years of getting free screeners on the pretext of
    being a review site, cheers!
    Will, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Writer R5

    Jules Dubois Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 04:28:01 GMT, in article
    <lr0ob.10514$>, Will wrote:

    > What saddens me is that it is clear that the advertising here on
    > alt.video.dvd is designed soley to drive up hits for his website

    All the link spammers should go away. If they want to run a business, they
    should purchase legitimate advertising.

    The spammers should take a lesson from one "Doug MacLean". In his article
    posted yesterday, (<IV1ob.44527$>, he's got
    eight paragraphs of real news, followed by some advertising material. He's
    not spamming (i.e., posting substantially identical articles.) Commercial?
    Yes. Spam? No; it doesn't meet any accepted definition of spam.

    Another supplier of valuable information is "DVD Lister". Their article
    yesterday was more than 260 lines of DVD release information, followed by
    three lines of advertising. (Note to DVD Lister (a/k/a "DVD Release
    Watcher and "DVDReleaseWatcher": changing your "From:" header makes it a
    little harder to find your articles.)

    Don't patronize the spammers

    Genre Online
    DVD Verdict

    For them, I'll quote the Rules of Spam:

    Rule #0: Spam is theft.

    Rule #1: Spammers lie.

    Sharp's Corollary: Spammers attempt to redefine "spamming"
    as that which they do not do.

    Rule #2: If a spammer seems to be telling the truth, see Rule #1.

    Rule #3: Spammers are stupid.

    Rule #4: The natural course of a spamming business is to go bankrupt.
    Jules Dubois, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Writer R5

    Jules Dubois, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Writer R5

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Oct 30, 2003
  7. Writer R5

    Jules Dubois Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:52:23 -0500, in article
    <>, Stan Brown wrote:

    > What about people who post the same article twice, a minute apart,
    > as you did?

    > appear to be identical, at a quick glance anyway.

    If I did that, and I do not doubt your word, the articles were undoubtedly
    exactly identical. I spammed. Unquestionably. No doubt about it.

    On the other hand, it was an accident. I'm not a deliberate,
    repeat-offender spammer.
    Jules Dubois, Oct 30, 2003
  8. Writer R5

    Will Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    | In article <> in
    | alt.video.dvd, Jules Dubois <> wrote:
    | >All the link spammers should go away.
    |
    | What about people who post the same article twice, a minute apart,
    | as you did?

    That's more of a "burp."
    Will, Oct 31, 2003
  9. Writer R5

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Writer R5" <> wrote in message
    <<I also could not have gotten this far without the support of the
    readers, who have been the greatest teachers an Internet Journalist
    could ever have. They let me know what they like and what they don’t
    like and in the process have helped me to improve upon my work.>>

    Well, I like super-sentences, such as this 546-character, 126-word
    masterpiece you wrote in your August, 2003 review of _Bowling For
    Columbine_:

    "He reasons that the film says everything pretty much the way he wants
    it and he feels that most of the good ideas come from the interns and
    production assistants so he hands the microphone to them and we get
    nearly two hours of interns and assistants cackling on about the film,
    but they are so excited to be doing it that often the commentary track
    feels like the listener is at a disadvantage because what they share
    seems to be more or less in-jokes amongst themselves and by the end I
    felt that while it is nice of Moore to acknowledge these largely unsung
    heroes, the commentary felt like a waste of time and is in my opinion
    the weakest element on this DVD release."

    No other "Internet Journalist" has a writing style as fascinating as
    yours.

    Keep up the good work!

    http://www.genreonline.net/Bowling_For_Columbine_SE_DVD.html
    Scot Gardner, Nov 2, 2003
  10. Writer R5

    Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 04:28:01 GMT, "Will" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >|
    >| You used to have my respect but you lost it.
    >
    >What saddens me is that it is clear that the advertising here on
    >alt.video.dvd is designed soley to drive up hits for his website, so he
    >can say to the studios "look, you should continue to send me free
    >screener copies, because I get a million hits per month."
    >
    >Whereas, the sites that actually really try hard to do reviews don't
    >advertise here, because the quality of their reviews speak for
    >themselves.
    >
    >So here's to four years of getting free screeners on the pretext of
    >being a review site, cheers!

    It is just his lack of integrity that concerns me or used to.
    , Nov 2, 2003
  11. Writer R5

    Writer R5 Guest

    Scott:

    I know I got my flaws and I don't need anyone out there to list them for me or
    reply back saying stuff like "And How!", but I am going to take your post as a
    nice thing to say regardless if you meant it or not. Thank you for writing and
    reading my reviews.

    Sincerely,
    Mark
    Writer R5, Nov 3, 2003