GENRE ONLINE @ GENRE ONLINE

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Writer R5, Jun 30, 2004.

  1. Writer R5

    Writer R5 Guest

    Dear Newsgroup Members:

    For over four years I have posted links to ths newsgroup to my DVD reviews and
    have received lotsof great feedback, including those who may I have not liked
    my work and in the process their critique has improved my work.

    I am a one-man show by choice. I certainly don't do this for the movie, but the
    links o Amazon.com, who nearly every DVD/media website has links to, but no
    body has to buy anything. The reviews are free and I do the work myself because
    I don't believe that people should work for free or they get free DVD for
    spendng a few hours writing a review. I've done that and t sucs. If I hire
    writers in the future I will pay them. But until that time, I will continue
    doing my site and if you like my work or hate it, I appreciate the time you
    have taken to express yourself.

    The readers are the best teachers. There is no doubt, but people who call
    themselves Buford T. Justice and FAQMeister are trying tell you all what is
    allowed to be posted and what is not selectively targeting websites like "DVD
    Verdict" while ignoring others saying that GENRE ONLINE SPAMS. DVD VERDICT
    SPAMS. Make up your own mind. Don't let these right wing net facists tell you
    what to do. Below is a letter from my server provider and it shows that this
    person is passing off his FAQ as being legitimate, which it is not and if you
    are a reader of my site and you want to see GENRE ONLINE posts in the future
    then please write me at or and
    show your support and als a link to the true charter and FAQ to ths group. In
    the meantime until further notice, I will fight this charge and if I am indeed
    wrongI will graciously stop posts, but my sitewill continue until either I can
    no longer do so for whatever reason or I choose not to. Thank you. Please see
    below:

    Subj: RE: Customer Warning - GENREONLINE.NET
    []
    Date: 6/29/04 3:50:00 PM Mountain Standard Time
    To:
    Sent from the Internet (Details)

    Dear Mr. Rivera,

    Thank you for contacting Go Daddy's Spam and Abuse Department

    Go Daddy defines spam as any communication sent to recipients, as an
    advertisement or otherwise, without first obtaining prior confirmed consent to
    receive these communications from your domain by the recipient. This includes,
    but is not limited to, the following:

    - Email Messages
    - Newsgroup postings
    - Windows system messages
    - Pop-up messages (aka "adware" or "spyware" messages)
    - Instant messages (using AOL, MSN, Yahoo or other instant messenger programs)
    - Online chat room advertisements
    - Guestbook or Website Forum postings

    It appears that the complaints we've received regard newsgroup advertisements
    entitled "FARSCAPE: PEACEKEEPER WAR & MORE @ GENRE ONLINE.NET!" a copy of one
    of these posts submitted to the alt.video.dvd newsgroup is provided at the end
    of this message.

    Each individual newsgroup has its own set of rules or set of acceptable posting
    practices. Many groups do not permit advertising, promotional, or traffic
    solicitation posts of any kind. Some groups will allow these types of posts
    providing they are specific, or "on topic", to the subject of the group.
    Another common practice that generates complaints is posting the same message
    to multiple groups, also known as "cross posting". Again each group governs
    "cross posting" according to their own policies. The FAQ at
    www.aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html appears to prohibit all advertising, on topic or
    not, within this newsgroup.

    Please keep in mind that it is not our intention to cause anyone's business to
    suffer and we do appreciate your cooperating with us on this matter. Because of
    your cooperation and willingness to resolve this issue thus far, your services
    have not been interrupted, but this situation remains unresolved.

    At this point you have two options available to you, each is outlined below:

    ----- Option #1: Provide proof your newsgroup submission is authorized.

    If you can provide proof that your submission to this newsgroup is authorized
    we will consider this matter closed. This proof can be supplied in one of two
    ways:

    1. Obtain the charter for the newsgroup this particular message was posted to,
    forward a copy of the charter along with a summary pointing out the relevant
    passages that you feel prove your submission is a valid post.

    2. Contact the moderator of the newsgroup this particular message was posted to
    and obtain confirmation, from the moderator, in the form of an email message
    that your submission is a valid post to this newsgroup. Forward a copy of this
    confirmation to along with the moderators email
    address.

    Please realize that Go Daddy will contact the moderator on the newsgroup in
    question for verification of the information you provide.

    ----- Option #2: Discontinue all future unauthorized newsgroup practices.

    If you are unable to provide proof your post is valid and wish to close this
    matter you must reply to with the following:

    1. A statement that you (or your employees, affiliates, 3rd party marketers,
    etc.) will no longer make off topic or unauthorized newsgroup posts.

    2. Authorization for GoDaddy.com to charge a $199 non-refundable administration
    fee to the credit card on file for your account (you may want to log into your
    Go Daddy account and confirm that the card on file is valid and has not
    expired).

    If you reply with this statement and agree to pay this fee, Go Daddy will
    accept, in good faith, your commitment as proof of your desire to correct this
    problem.

    Please be aware that Go Daddy will continue to monitor this situation. If after
    you commit to ceasing this activity it is determined that this problem
    persists, your domain name may be immediately redirected and your service
    suspended. We realize additional complaints resulting from the posts you have
    just committed to stop may come in and we will of course consider this, and
    contact you before taking action.

    -----

    *PLEASE NOTE: If you do not follow one of the options outlined above your
    domain name may be immediately redirected and your service suspended.

    -----

    Here is a copy of the offending newsgroup post:

    You have probably have already seen at least some of them elsewhere online or
    on the newstand, but just in case you have not... I have published 21 shots
    from the upcoming Sci-Fi Channel Original Miniseries Event "Farscape:
    Peacekeeper War" and I have to note that not only does it look great, but it
    almost seems as though no time has past since the series was cancelled over a
    year ago and now. I can't wait to see it. "Farscape: Peacekeeper War" will air
    this fall on Sci-Fi.

    http://www.genreonline.net/Farscape_Peacekeeper_War_Photo_Gallery_Scifi.html

    In addition I have some DVD reviews below and a lot more DVD and TV reviews
    coming soon so please stay tuned. Thank you.

    The Chronicles Of Riddick: Pitch Black: Unrated Director's Cut:
    http://www.genreonline.net/Riddick_Pitch_Black_DVD.html

    Paycheck: Special Collector's Edition:
    http://www.genreonline.net/Paycheck_SCE_DVD.html

    The Dreamers: NC-17 Version:
    http://www.genreonline.net/Dreamers_DVD.html

    To End All Wars:
    http://www.genreonline.net/To_End_All_Wars_DVD.html

    The 300 Spartans:
    http://www.genreonline.net/Spartans_DVD.html

    Please drop by and visit... Thank you.

    GENRE ONLINE.NET
    The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More!
    http://www.genreonline.net
    Mark A. Rivera
    Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster

    -----

    Sincerely,

    Spam and Abuse Department
    GoDaddy.com

    Writer R5, Jun 30, 2004

  2. "Writer R5" <> wrote in message
    > Dear Newsgroup Members:
    >
    > For over four years I have posted links to ths newsgroup to my DVD
    > reviews and have received lotsof great feedback, including those
    > who may I have not liked my work and in the process their critique
    > has improved my work.

    Mark:

    I always look at your posts for any information that might help me
    decide whether or not to rent or buy certain DVDs. However, some of your
    "reviews" are nothing more than excuses for you to pontificate endlessly
    about your personal accomplishments. Your incoherent 1931 word "review"
    of _Once Upon A Time In The West_ rambles on and on through seven
    tediously-long paragraphs, which I have condensed as follows:

    "I used to work nights... Squeaky-clean morality tales... owner's wife
    was pretty loose... great mythology... I could go on and on with genre
    comparisons... in a pseudo original way... I honestly can't tell which
    film I like better... In graduate school... my Masters degree... new
    knowledge and understanding... academic with Sir Christopher Frayling...
    death of one era... It sounds a bit crazy... primal nature of
    humanity... my grad school days."

    Until, finally!... the 5th and 6th sentences in paragraph 6 actually
    begin to focus on the visual appearance of the DVD:

    "Pristine might be too strong of a word to describe how this film looks,
    but even if it is not, it comes pretty damn close be being pristine. The
    textures and colors are beautifully captured making what I always
    thought of as being a rather monotone film from the days I had the
    laserdisc seem as if I were watching the film in black and white back
    then when I look at and compare it to Paramount Home Entertainment's DVD
    release, which presents "Once Upon A Time In The West" in an anamorphic
    widescreen (2.35:1) aspect ratio preserving the manner in which the film
    was exhibited theatrically as close as possible for home video users."

    Sadly, I was unable to find a review of _Once Upon A Time In The West_.

    http://www.genreonline.net/Once_Upon_A_Time_In_The_West_DVD.html

    Even though you proclaimed your tremendous knowledge and expertise
    (graduate school, Masters degree, new knowledge and understanding etc.)
    I have doubts as to the validity of your claims. The person who wrote
    this gem would have trouble graduating from high school, let alone
    college:

    "He reasons that the film says everything pretty much the way he wants
    it and he feels that most of the good ideas come from the interns and
    production assistants so he hands the microphone to them and we get
    nearly two hours of interns and assistants cackling on about the film,
    but they are so excited to be doing it that often the commentary track
    feels like the listener is at a disadvantage because what they share
    seems to be more or less in-jokes amongst themselves and by the end I
    felt that while it is nice of Moore to acknowledge these largely unsung
    heroes, the commentary felt like a waste of time and is in my opinion
    the weakest element on this DVD release."

    http://www.genreonline.net/Bowling_For_Columbine_SE_DVD.html

    As far as I know, this 546-character, 126-word masterpiece from the
    August, 2003 review of _Bowling For Columbine_ is the longest GENRE
    ONLINE sentence on record. But who knows, there may be others that are
    even longer.

    Keep up the good work.

    One-Shot Scot, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Writer R5

    Writer R5 Guest

    Mark>I have doubts as to the validity of your claims. The person who wrote
    >this gem would have trouble graduating from high school, let alone
    >college:

    I do have a BA in Film and an MFA in Writing and Literature and I graduated
    High Schol too, but that does not mean I'm going to have perfect grammar or
    spelling though I try to do as wel as I can.

    I mean a person's SAT scores are not the only thing colleges look at when
    considering apllicants, yet some people think that it denotes one intelligence,
    etc.

    I appreciate your feedback. I'm glad you point out my mistakes, etc. At least
    you are trying to make a point.

    As for whether or not I attended college, etc. I can tell you I went to
    Brooklyn College of the City University of New York and earned my BA from there
    in 1993 and my MFA in 1996. You can verify this on your own if you want.

    Anyway, thank you for the feedback.

    Writer R5, Jun 30, 2004
  4. ospam (Writer R5) wrote:

    "Don't let these right wing net facists tell you what to do."

    Why do you assume that these people are right wing?

    --
    My DVD collection:
    http://www.geocities.com/nmzdfilms/dvdlibrary.html

    Noise is a byproduct of inefficiency.

    Neo Maxi Zoom Dweeby, Jun 30, 2004
  5. Writer R5

    Mike Jackson Guest

    Here's a response I sent in your defense to :

    I'm writing in response to the following message posted in the alt.video.dvd
    newsgroup regarding Mark Rivera's alleged spamming.

    Recently in the alt.video.dvd newsgroup, someone entered the group and began
    accusing long-time posters of spamming the group with posts that they had
    been making for years. These posts were generally accepted by the group as
    acceptable means of directing readers to their reviews. The posts consisted
    of links to reviews, rather than the entire text, and had no directly
    commercial content. One of these new posters took it upon himself wrote a
    FAQ after the fact to paint these posters as guilty of breaking it. This FAQ
    has no official recognition by the group, and in fact is generally reviled
    as self-serving and having no useful purpose; most people consider the DVD
    FAQ at dvddemystified.com as the only FAQ worth reading. In fact, this
    document, which predates the FAQ you listed, lists the dvddemystified.com
    FAQ as the group's FAQ:

    http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/faqget.htm#DVD

    I would encourage you to research this matter by reading the group archives.

    I'd like to address the following points from your email to Mr. Rivera:

    > 1. Obtain the charter for the newsgroup this particular message was posted

    to,
    > forward a copy of the charter along with a summary pointing out the

    relevant
    > passages that you feel prove your submission is a valid post.

    The alt.video.dvd group was founded sometime around 1995. I've searched the
    net high and low for a charter, and all I can find is the group's
    description, which is one sentence: "Discussion of Digital Video Disk
    hardware and software" (reference the control document at
    ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control/alt/alt.video.dvd.gz). DVD reviews,
    whether links or directly posted to the group, qualify as discussion of DVD
    software. There is nothing in that group description or any extant charter
    that forbids links to reviews. The only thing that forbids the practice is
    an unrecognized, unofficial FAQ.

    > 2. Contact the moderator of the newsgroup this particular message was

    posted to
    > and obtain confirmation, from the moderator, in the form of an email

    message
    > that your submission is a valid post to this newsgroup. Forward a copy of

    this
    > confirmation to along with the moderators email
    > address.

    alt.video.dvd is not a moderated group. Therefore, this is an unreasonable
    request that is impossible to fulfill. Further, as an unmoderated group, it
    stands to reason that any on-topic post would be suitable for posting.

    I would encourage you to consider the validity of these complaints before
    taking action against Mr. Rivera. It is all too easy for those who disagree
    with a post's content to label it as spam, and taking action based on flimsy
    evidence and a FAQ written specifically to prove someone guilty ex post
    facto would be unjust indeed.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Jun 30, 2004
  6. Writer R5

    Lookingglass Guest

    FIGHT IT!!! I hope you continue to post here on the appropriate newsgroup
    for your service... I DO NOT consider your posts SPAM...I have used your
    reviews to help me decide whether or not to purchase a DVD...

    .... buford t justice or faq meister is the one who is wasting our time...and
    I consider HIS posts SPAM... obviously, he has much too much extra time on
    his hands...

    HANG IN THERE...!

    Dave Chabot www.Shemakhan.com

    Lookingglass, Jun 30, 2004
  7. Writer R5

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Writer R5" <> wrote in message
    > The readers are the best teachers. There is no doubt, but people who
    > call themselves Buford T. Justice and FAQMeister are trying tell you
    > all what is allowed to be posted and what is not

    And no one else thinks you're spamming?

    You're upset, but that's no excuse for telling lies.

    > selectively targeting websites like "DVD Verdict"
    > while ignoring others

    That's three lies in one sentence. I am not targeting websites. I am
    targeting spammers. You were not selectively targeted and others weren't
    ignored. Yesterday I posted a list of others who were stopped from
    spamming this group:

    adultdvdsonline.com.au aka

    DiabolikDVD.com aka

    > Don't let these right wing net facists tell you what to do.

    LOL
    Up the revolution!

    > Below is
    > a letter from my server provider and it shows that this person is
    > passing off his FAQ as being legitimate, which it is not and if you
    > are a reader of my site and you want to see GENRE ONLINE posts in the
    > future then please write me at or
    > and show your support and als a link to
    > the true charter and FAQ to ths group.

    That's not going to help you. There is no such thing as an illegitimate
    alt group faq so don't waste your appeal on that or on letters from spam
    apologists saying how wonderful your spam is.

    The letter indicates that you have one option:

    "Obtain the charter for the newsgroup this particular message was
    posted to, forward a copy of the charter along with a summary
    pointing out the relevant passages that you feel prove your
    submission is a valid post."

    Do you even know what a newsgroup charter is? I suggest you focus your
    efforts on that. You won't find any language in the charter that
    validates your spam, but it's all you've got.

    > In the meantime until further
    > notice, I will fight this charge

    Good luck to you. I mean that.

    > and if I am indeed wrongI will
    > graciously stop posts,

    If you are going to be gracious about it then don't blame your
    misfortune on one individual or "right wing net facists" or claim that
    you were singled out.

    The reason I stopped reporting spammers is because I was unable to stop
    the two who have been the most prolific. It would have been unfair to
    report others when those two were getting away with it. If Genre Online
    stops spamming then there is hope for this group yet and I will resume
    the spamcopping.

    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

    FAQmeister, Jun 30, 2004
  8. Writer R5

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > Here's a response I sent in your defense to
    > :
    >
    > I'm writing in response to the following message posted in the
    > alt.video.dvd newsgroup regarding Mark Rivera's alleged spamming.

    One spammer defending another. Yeah, that's the ticket!

    FAQmeister, Jun 30, 2004
  9. Writer R5

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Lookingglass" <> wrote in message
    > FIGHT IT!!! I hope you continue to post here on the appropriate
    > newsgroup for your service... I DO NOT consider your posts SPAM...I
    > have used your reviews to help me decide whether or not to purchase a
    > DVD...

    He doesn't post reviews. He posts a bunch of links to his site.

    > ... buford t justice or faq meister is the one who is wasting our
    > time...and I consider HIS posts SPAM...

    And I consider your posts silly and stupid--so there!

    FAQmeister, Jun 30, 2004
  10. Writer R5

    JWB Guest

    "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > > Here's a response I sent in your defense to
    > > :
    > >
    > > I'm writing in response to the following message posted in the
    > > alt.video.dvd newsgroup regarding Mark Rivera's alleged spamming.

    > One spammer defending another. Yeah, that's the ticket!

    well, I wrote to defend him too, and I'm not a spammer.

    JWB, Jun 30, 2004
  11. Writer R5

    Mike Kohary Guest

    JWB wrote:
    > "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >>> Here's a response I sent in your defense to
    >>> :
    >>>
    >>> I'm writing in response to the following message posted in the
    >>> alt.video.dvd newsgroup regarding Mark Rivera's alleged spamming.

    >> One spammer defending another. Yeah, that's the ticket!

    > well, I wrote to defend him too, and I'm not a spammer.

    Ditto. Congratulations, "FAQmeister", you've become an official Net Nanny
    (and that's not a compliment).

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 30, 2004
  12. Writer R5

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > Ditto. Congratulations, "FAQmeister", you've become an official Net Nanny
    > (and that's not a compliment).

    He's like one of those really bad British nannies.

    Mike Jackson, Jun 30, 2004
  13. In article <> (Wed, 30 Jun
    2004 13:26:44 +0000), Writer R5 wrote:

    > Dear Newsgroup Members:

    The self-appointed FAQmeister is a net kook and his FAQ may nor may not be
    legitimate; anyone can create a FAQ. However, your refusal to stop
    spamming this and other newsgroups leaves you open to attack, if only by
    net kooks.

    > Make up your own mind. Don't let these right wing net facists tell you
    > what to do.

    First you ignore repeated requests to stop spamming and now you claim that
    those opposed to spamming are "right wing net facists. [sic]" Personal
    and juvenile attacks like this will only help remove any pretense of
    legitimacy you might have maintained.

    Please use the Google Groups search feature for phrases like yours (and
    "net nazis" and "anti-commerce radicals".) See who uses them as
    attacks. Please use a dictionary and note what the definition of
    "fascism" says about how "fascists" deal with criticism.

    > I will fight this charge and if I am indeed wrong [...]

    You are wrong: Since the second post, your link articles have been spam.

    > I will graciously stop posts

    If you post the reviews to this newsgroups, they absolutely, positively
    aren't spam. (You may still receive complaints but they'll be
    irrelevant.)

    > but my site will continue until either I can no longer do so for
    > whatever reason or I choose not to.

    Continue the site for as long as you care to. Start an opt-in mailing
    list. Post reviews here.

    But, please don't spam.

    Hamilcar Barca, Jul 1, 2004
  14. Writer R5

    JWB Guest

    "Hamilcar Barca" <> wrote in message

    > Continue the site for as long as you care to. Start an opt-in mailing
    > list. Post reviews here.
    >
    > But, please don't spam.

    see, this is what I don't get. You're saying it's ok to post the review, but
    it's NOT ok to post a link to the very same review? Even though it saves NG
    bandwidth?

    Why?

    And don't say "posting a link is spam" - that's a copout. Tell me why it's
    ok to post the review, and not ok to post a link to a dvd review.

    JWB, Jul 1, 2004
  15. Writer R5

    Writer R5 Guest

    >Why do you assume that these people are right wing?

    I did not mean it in terms of right wing politics, but rather the truth is that
    a person has taken it upon himself to single GENRE ONLINE.NET and DVD Verdict
    as spammers and went so far as to create a false FAQ to appear legitimate.

    Thisis not a moderated group and the person created a FAQ that was basically
    counterfeit. So it is like he is trying to censor the group because he thinks
    theseposts are spam and violate the group. There is no charter for this ALT.
    newsgroup. In fact that is why it is among the ALT. category.

    So I used right wing because this guy is telling others what I am doing is
    wrong and he is going out of his way on a crusade to appear as if he were some
    elected representative of ths group and he is no more of an elected moderator
    than you or I.

    It reminded me of what the FCC has been doing to Howard Stern. If this guy can
    decide for others what is appropriate and not appropriate for a newsgroup, then
    where does it end? Who is next?

    I am just a guy who reviews DVDs and TV and has website and posts links. You
    could do the same if you chose to. How would you like itif someone out ofthe
    blue began trying to control what you do in this newsgroup? If I've offended
    right wing conservatives, then all I can type is that I should have used better
    words, but be it left, right, or just in the middle, what this guy has done
    under many different e-mails is wrong and dare I type it, "fraudulent."

    Mark

    Writer R5, Jul 1, 2004
  16. Writer R5

    JWB Guest

    "Writer R5" <> wrote in message
    > >Why do you assume that these people are right wing?

    > I did not mean it in terms of right wing politics, but rather the truth is

    that
    > a person has taken it upon himself to single GENRE ONLINE.NET and DVD

    Verdict
    > as spammers and went so far as to create a false FAQ to appear legitimate.
    >
    > Thisis not a moderated group and the person created a FAQ that was

    basically
    > counterfeit. So it is like he is trying to censor the group because he

    thinks
    > theseposts are spam and violate the group. There is no charter for this

    ALT.
    > newsgroup. In fact that is why it is among the ALT. category.
    >
    > So I used right wing because this guy is telling others what I am doing is
    > wrong and he is going out of his way on a crusade to appear as if he were

    some
    > elected representative of ths group and he is no more of an elected

    moderator
    > than you or I.
    >
    > It reminded me of what the FCC has been doing to Howard Stern. If this guy

    can
    > decide for others what is appropriate and not appropriate for a newsgroup,

    then
    > where does it end? Who is next?
    >
    > I am just a guy who reviews DVDs and TV and has website and posts links.

    You
    > could do the same if you chose to. How would you like itif someone out

    ofthe
    > blue began trying to control what you do in this newsgroup? If I've

    offended
    > right wing conservatives, then all I can type is that I should have used

    better
    > words, but be it left, right, or just in the middle, what this guy has

    done
    > under many different e-mails is wrong and dare I type it, "fraudulent."
    >
    > Mark

    Keep posting your reviews, Mark. A lot of us here have no problem with what
    you do.

    JWB, Jul 1, 2004
  17. >The posts consisted
    >of links to reviews, rather than the entire text,

    and not only is quoting the entire text in the newswsgroup considered
    spamming,by many people, but is also a violation of copyright laws, (unless
    it's your own text)

    while posting only a link to a website of the text is not a violation of
    copyright l;aws.

    Therefore, copying the text of reviews on Amazon or DVD Review (instead ofd
    posting only a link to it) is a violation of copyright laws and is in fact
    illegal.

    while posting only a link to the parts of Amazon or DVD Review is completely
    legal.

    Waterperson77, Jul 1, 2004
  18. >e doesn't post reviews. He posts a bunch of links to his site.

    which is the way it's encouraged to do because:

    1. copying the entire text of a review article into the newsgroup is a
    copyright violation and is illegal. (unless you created the text yourself
    orthe copyright holder has given you permission to do so)

    2. Most of the rest of the world has to pay by the byte for internet acess and
    doesn't want to have to pay a bunch of extra money for a bunch of unnecessary
    quoted text in usenet when only a link will do.

    Waterperson77, Jul 1, 2004
  19. Writer R5

    Justin Guest

    Waterperson77 wrote on [01 Jul 2004 01:17:31 GMT]:
    >>e doesn't post reviews. He posts a bunch of links to his site.
    >>

    > which is the way it's encouraged to do because:
    >
    > 1. copying the entire text of a review article into the newsgroup is a
    > copyright violation and is illegal. (unless you created the text yourself
    > orthe copyright holder has given you permission to do so)

    You don't know what you're talking about. So stay out of it you fucking
    idiot.

    Justin, Jul 1, 2004
  20. In article <2HIEc.10101$> (Thu, 01 Jul 2004
    00:13:50 +0000), JWB wrote:

    > "Hamilcar Barca" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Continue the site for as long as you care to. Start an opt-in mailing
    >> list. Post reviews here.
    >>
    >> But, please don't spam.

    > see, this is what I don't get. You're saying it's ok to post the review,

    Is it acceptable to post DVD reviews in alt.video.dvd? The newsgroup was
    created to discuss issues related to DVDs: Reviews of DVDs certainly
    qualify under that description. They were accepted in the 1998, when I
    first subscribed.

    I choose not to read any of the reviews in question, but no one has said
    they aren't actual, original reviews. On an unrelated note, I've heard
    other claims, such as bad spelling and poor writing, etc. If those claims
    are true, the posters can expect a certain number of spelling and grammar
    [f]lames. Those issues, if they exist, are irrelevant.

    > but it's NOT ok to post a link to the very same review?

    I don't understand why so many have trouble with a simple, long-standing
    definition.

    It's spam to post (single-post, cross-post, or multi-post) multiple
    articles with substantially identical content. To stretch an analogy a
    bit too far, assume I posted, in some cookware newsgroup, a series of
    articles whose bodies were each one line

    today: http://www.example.com/id=1

    tomorrow: http://www.example.com/id=2

    the next day: http://www.example.com/id=3

    and so on. Although the links are "unique", the articles would be spam:
    The articles are substantially identical.

    Similarly, if what distinguishes someone's individual articles is a change
    of movie title and part of a URL, the articles are substantially
    identical.

    > Even though it saves NG bandwidth?

    Bandwidth arguments are not meaningful. If they were, the logical
    extension of the argument would be that not posting the link spam reduces
    the consumption of bandwidth further.

    Of course, if the posters in question start posting reviews, rather than
    links, some may complain about the use of bandwidth. Would reviews use
    more bandwidth? Certainly.

    Would reviews be spam? Yes, if every reviews was simply "This DVD
    rocks!". I don't have any reason to believe the reviews themselves would
    constitute spam.

    > And don't say "posting a link is spam"

    Posting a link may in some cases be stupid, genius, erudite,
    semi-literate, off-topic, commercial, non-commercial, non-profit, a hate
    crime, illegal, or otherwise. Posting a link isn't spam. See above why
    these articles are spam; it's not the links themselves.

    > Tell me why it's ok to post the review, and not ok to post a link to a
    > dvd review.

    Done.

    Hamilcar Barca, Jul 1, 2004