Generic Host Process for Win32 Error Message

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mikita, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Mikita

    Mikita Guest

    Can someone please Help! I'm almost ready to throw my machine out the
    window! :)

    I have an HP Media Center PC 854N with Windows XP for Media Center. I'm
    using Outlook Express and Windows Explorer.

    I just did an Non-Destructive System Recovery, my computer keeps crashing.
    Here's the error message.

    Generic Host Process for Win32 has encountered problems and needs to close.
    Then another error message comes up.
    System Shutdown
    Please save all work in progress and log off. The system is shutting down.
    This shutdown was initiated by NT/Authority System.
    Windows must start because the (Remote Procedure Call (RPS) . . . . I didn't
    write down the rest.

    Can anyone offer suggestions. I can stay online surf and read mail about 5
    minutes before I crash. Thanks.

    Mikita, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Mikita

    Unk Guest

    Look here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821690

    Unk, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Mikita

    jboat Guest

    first, try a few things, but don't give up. if you can get the system back
    up, go to the My Computre icon and right click, then choose Properties, then
    choose Advanced, go to Startup and Recovery and make sure to uncheck where
    it says to automatically restart.
    close all the windows and use the CTRL + ALT + DEL sequence to open the task
    manager and see how many processes are going, there are only seventeen to
    nineteen that are needed, look to see if one is hogging memory and try
    closing it.

    jboat, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Mikita

    Unk Guest

    Since you keep crashing, you might not be able to read the MS article at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821690

    So, here's what it says to do:
    1 - Turn off the computer and the printer or the scanner.
    2 - Disconnect the printer or the scanner from the computer.
    3 - Restart the computer.
    4 - Install the compatible drivers and software for the printer or the
    scanner, and then reconnect the printer or the scanner to the computer.

    Unk, Feb 11, 2004
  5. Mikita

    Mikita Guest

    Thank you!
    Now that you mention the driver, I think I know what it is, my Canon
    scanner! When I reinstalled software, which I'm assuming includes the
    Driver I changed the name on the Folder in the program file to Canon
    Scanner, the old folder is still in there also under the default name, and I
    thought I was being so smart. Thank you. Anyway if this doesn't work, I'll
    keep going with your instruction. In the mean time I'm sending BIG THANKS!
    :)
    Mikita

    Mikita, Feb 11, 2004
  6. Mikita

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome. I hope it all works out.

    Unk, Feb 11, 2004