    Open Source; they achieved that goal in seven weeks, and the rest is
    history.

    <http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/blender-foundation/history/>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 2, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    John Little Guest

    On Nov 2, 3:27 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/lessons-from-the-symbian-failur...>:
    >
    >     Open source is a great way to spark or accelerate momentum. It’s a
    >     terrible way to reverse a product’s decline.
    >         — Matt Asay
    >
    > I don’t think that’s right...

    Yeah, I think that it's an example of "cum hoc ergo propter hoc";
    there are many products or projects declining whose sources are
    opened, in the absence of any reason not to.

    Regards, John

    John Little, Nov 2, 2010

  3. In message
    <>, John
    Little wrote:

    > ... there are many products or projects declining whose sources are
    > opened, in the absence of any reason not to.

    It’s better than not doing so—at least it leaves open the chance of someone
    else doing something with it.

    Too many times companies go down, and take their software with them, under
    the firm misconception that it is “valuable intellectual propertyâ€. How many
    millions of lines of code are now dead, lost, gone, stuck on mouldering
    discs at the back of a drawer somewhere? BeOS? OS/2? AmigaDOS? Countless
    apps ... games ... who knows ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 2, 2010