General VOIP Help

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by mnchstrcityblues, Jul 12, 2010.

  1. mnchstrcityblues

    mnchstrcityblues

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Hey gang, I am new here but I am in desperate need to try to get my VoIP working. Right now, my main problem is the connection cutting in and out due to poor network bandwidth. I have a standard cable internet connection (approx. 7mb down, 350k up) so VoIP should work okay.

    Here is my setup:

    Motorolla Surfboard Cable Modem
    Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 running DD-WRT standard

    I have attempted to use QoS on DD-WRT but, for whatever reason, it hasn't been working (it has been preventing connection to the internet), so I have QoS turned off.

    Anyway, I need the best way to prioritize VoIP traffic making it an absolute priority over everything.

    I have thought of using a switch but have no experience with them and don't know if it would help.

    What does everyone suggest to get this working? What info do you need to provide an informed decision? Please help!

    Thanks guys/girls.
    mnchstrcityblues, Jul 12, 2010