general thoughts

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by RJB, Dec 23, 2007.

  1. RJB

    RJB Guest

    Hi to all

    I have a lot of experience with computers: 20yrs in the Navy working on
    analog, basic digital, and finally mainframe computers. I found out in the
    civilian world, I didn't know all that much.

    The short of it: I have taken and passed A+, N+, MCP (70-270), and MCDST
    70-271). I am now studying the 2nd half MCDST (70-272). MCSA is next.

    I have learned that there is way too much information to know for these
    exams. They are way too narrow in their scope. 60 some odd questions on a
    book that is almost 1000 pages....

    So how do you do it? Study till your eyeballs feel like they are going to
    fall out. Do absolutely everything in the books. Even if you think you're an
    expert on it and you know more then the author. Take lots of practice tests
    to identify weak areas and go back and review and study it again.

    One last thought, don't rely on one book. I buy at least 3 different study
    book/guides for each cert. No one author is going to be able to explain
    everything to your understanding and continue to go back and reveiw and play
    with a computer continually. Also review the resource books for each cert. I
    have found a lot of questions in them that are on the test and not addressed
    at all in the study books.

    thats it good luck to all

    an old sailor who is still learning.
    RJB, Dec 23, 2007