General Question (Trivia perhaps; but not trivial) HELP Please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by to-X-ic, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. to-X-ic

    to-X-ic Guest

    There's this "law" and I think it's based in physics or metaphysics
    or possibly quantam physics and/or mechanics.

    The gest of it goes like this

    "Just by observing a situation, the situation is effected by the
    act of observing it." Thus, 'observation' is not a "pure"
    scientific method.

    I'm not sure if it's philosophy or spychology or what disipline,
    but the law, as I vaguely recall, is named after the fellow who
    first theorized it and threw it out there (LOL - probably a science
    professor who rephrased it, and published it, subsequent to a
    student's pondering a question out loud - just kidding)

    Any of you folks recall this? (If I can get a more precise label,
    I can look it up with my Google buddy, but the concept is so vague
    as I try to research it, that I have been frustrated by searching
    all morning and can't find it. You know how it's sometimes the
    little bitty things that'll just get ya??? :) Thanks so much
    for any assistance you might be able to offer.

    to-X-ic, Jul 6, 2003

  2. to-X-ic

    philo Guest

    to-X-ic wrote:
    > There's this "law" and I think it's based in physics or metaphysics
    > or possibly quantam physics and/or mechanics.
    >
    > The gest of it goes like this
    >
    > "Just by observing a situation, the situation is effected by the
    > act of observing it." Thus, 'observation' is not a "pure"
    > scientific method.
    >
    > I'm not sure if it's philosophy or spychology or what disipline,
    > but the law, as I vaguely recall, is named after the fellow who
    > first theorized it and threw it out there (LOL - probably a science
    > professor who rephrased it, and published it, subsequent to a
    > student's pondering a question out loud - just kidding)
    >
    > Any of you folks recall this? (If I can get a more precise label,
    > I can look it up with my Google buddy, but the concept is so vague
    > as I try to research it, that I have been frustrated by searching
    > all morning and can't find it. You know how it's sometimes the
    > little bitty things that'll just get ya??? :) Thanks so much
    > for any assistance you might be able to offer.

    Heisenberg's uncertainty principle

    philo, Jul 6, 2003

  3. to-X-ic

    Ionizer Guest

    Have a look at this search result: http://tinyurl.com/g5tb Both items seem
    to refer to what you're mentioning, and include a number of researchers'
    names to help you fuel further searches, including "Mordehai Heiblum."

    HTH,
    Ian.

    "to-X-ic" <Just~Say~NO~2~> wrote in message
    > There's this "law" and I think it's based in physics or metaphysics
    > or possibly quantam physics and/or mechanics.

    <snip>

    Ionizer, Jul 6, 2003
  4. to-X-ic

    slylittlei Guest

    A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
    pelagic in it's habits: trout stated for the record...
    > Michael wrote:
    >
    >> In news:Xns93B09B6943888wudBgud@206.127.4.10,
    >> to-X-ic <Just~Say~NO~2~> wrote:
    >>
    >>> There's this "law" and I think it's based in physics or metaphysics
    >>> or possibly quantam physics and/or mechanics.
    >>>
    >>> The gest of it goes like this
    >>>
    >>> "Just by observing a situation, the situation is effected by the
    >>> act of observing it." Thus, 'observation' is not a "pure"
    >>> scientific method.

    >> "The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle" of quantum physics.
    >>
    >> ((U))

    > And there's the "Heineken Uncertainty Principle".

    Plus the Hellman's Uncertainty Principle: is it mayonnaise, or salad
    cream..?

    slylittlei, Jul 6, 2003
  5. to-X-ic

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... slylittlei said:

    > A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
    > pelagic in it's habits: trout stated for the record...
    >> Michael wrote:

    >>> "The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle" of quantum physics.
    >>>
    >>> ((U))
    >>> M

    >> And there's the "Heineken Uncertainty Principle".

    > Plus the Hellman's Uncertainty Principle: is it mayonnaise, or salad
    > cream..?

    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    Brian H¹©, Jul 6, 2003
  6. to-X-ic

    Michael Guest

    In news:bea2j3$2qf0h$,
    trout <> wrote:

    > Michael wrote:
    >
    >> In news:Xns93B09B6943888wudBgud@206.127.4.10,
    >> to-X-ic <Just~Say~NO~2~> wrote:
    >>
    >>> There's this "law" and I think it's based in physics or metaphysics
    >>> or possibly quantam physics and/or mechanics.
    >>>
    >>> The gest of it goes like this
    >>>
    >>> "Just by observing a situation, the situation is effected by the
    >>> act of observing it." Thus, 'observation' is not a "pure"
    >>> scientific method.

    >> "The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle" of quantum physics.
    >>
    >> ((U))

    > And there's the "Heineken Uncertainty Principle".

    .... which - put simply - states that the properties of a stein and its
    contents are changed by the presence of an observer.

    Thus, one is never entirely sure there's enough, that it's not Budweiser, or
    that the publican hasn't overcharged for the volume offered.

    ((U))
    "There ain't no such thing as a free beer."

    Michael, Jul 6, 2003
  7. to-X-ic

    to-X-ic Guest

    "to-X-ic" <Just~Say~NO~2~> wrote in

    > There's this "law" and I think it's based in physics or
    > metaphysics or possibly quantam physics and/or mechanics.
    >
    > The gest of it goes like this
    >
    > "Just by observing a situation, the situation is effected by the
    > act of observing it." Thus, 'observation' is not a "pure"
    > scientific method.
    >
    > I'm not sure if it's philosophy or spychology or what discipline,
    > but the law, as I vaguely recall, is named after the fellow who
    > first theorized it and threw it out there (LOL - probably a
    > science professor who rephrased it, and published it, subsequent
    > to a student's pondering a question out loud - just kidding)
    >
    > Any of you folks recall this? (If I can get a more precise
    > label, I can look it up with my Google buddy, but the concept is
    > so vague as I try to research it, that I have been frustrated by
    > searching all morning and can't find it. You know how it's
    > sometimes the little bitty things that'll just get ya??? :)
    > Thanks so much for any assistance you might be able to offer.

    Many thanks to *everybody* for the leads and information! You guys
    and gals are _amazing_ and I appreciate your help very much.

    Great stuff - many, many thanks!!!

    to-X-ic, Jul 6, 2003
  8. Also the Heidleberg Uncertainty Principle (was that a bomb or did somone
    just fart really loudly?)

    John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions, Jul 6, 2003
  9. to-X-ic

    trout Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > In news:bea2j3$2qf0h$,
    > trout <> wrote:
    >
    >> Michael wrote:

    >>> "The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle" of quantum physics.
    >>>
    >>> ((U))
    >>> M

    >> And there's the "Heineken Uncertainty Principle".

    > ... which - put simply - states that the properties of a stein and its
    > contents are changed by the presence of an observer.

    Wait a minute. Isn't that the "Heidelburg Principle"?
    --
    "Now I'm *really* uncertain. And oddly thirsty."

    trout, Jul 6, 2003
  10. trout wrote:

    > And there's the "Heineken Uncertainty Principle".
    > "When you're not sure what happened until you sober up."

    And maybe not even then.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 7, 2003