    Opinions?

    Thanks,

    smackedass
    smackedass, Mar 8, 2006

  2. smackedass

    Linker3000 Guest

    smackedass wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Just looking for opinions here: what do you think about the effectiveness
    > of those security suites that all of the big-name ISPs are adding on to
    > their packages. They seem like they're primarily Web-based, as opposed to
    > local, and I can see how that can help protect the network, but not so much
    > the user.
    >
    > AOL has its own crap; Comcast uses McAffee; PeoplePC has its own thing,
    > seems a lot like AOL's.
    >
    > Opinions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > smackedass

    Checks A+ syllabus...Hmmm not on there...shrugs...
    Linker3000, Mar 9, 2006

  3. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    > Checks A+ syllabus...Hmmm not on there...shrugs...

    They gave you a SYLLABUS??? Didn't give me no syllabus, when I took, and
    passed, both tests back in 2000. All I had were practice tests, Web sites
    and books.

    But, the A+ logo (as well as the MCSE logo) does provide a fine aesthetic
    accompaniment to my locally published advertisement, my business cards, and
    flyers. Not sure if any of my paying customers actually know what they
    mean; only one or two have ever asked me... funny how they're more
    interested in knowing why their computer is running slow, which ISP to
    choose, do you think it's time for me to buy a new printer, why doesn't the
    spellcheck in the new version of AOL work like the last one did, do you
    think the latest VOIP bundle is a good deal, etc., etc.

    Sometimes, I don't even know the answers to their questions! Sometimes,
    I'll actually have to do more research before I think the time is ripe to
    hand them my invoice! Sometimes, there is no single "correct" answer, and
    the proposed solution is more of a workaround than a black-and-white,
    end-all "fix"! Sometimes, I just flat out tell them that the solution to
    whatever problem/s they're having is to just buy a new computer, which can
    be done today for as little as $300, probably less than the cost of an A+
    exam voucher, though in the interest of complete and fair disclosure, I
    haven't checked, recently.

    By the way, does anyone out there know where I can buy a syllabus? And, I'm
    still interested in knowing ANYone's opinion of the effectiveness of the
    security suites that are part of some of those ISPs package.

    Hugs and kisses,

    smackedass
    smackedass, Mar 9, 2006
  4. smackedass

    PM Guest

    Linker3000 wrote:

    > Checks A+ syllabus...Hmmm not on there...shrugs...

    Looks like another paper tech entered the room. There's plenty not on
    the A+ certification that you need to know in order to be a competent
    tech. Likewise, there's plenty on the A+ that is absolutely useless
    once you get into the real world (memorizing I/O, IRQ and DMA addresses,
    etc).
    PM, Mar 12, 2006