    them too that would be good.) Any thoughts, comments, suggestion, or
    further questions are welcomed.

    Brandon
    Brandon McCombs, Oct 3, 2006

  2. "Brandon McCombs" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone provide a website (preferrably) or a book that gives an
    > overview of VoIP architecture? I'm trying to figure out how to propose
    > a solution of VoIP within an organization that currently uses an old
    > Siemens PBX. Answers I'm looking for are regarding the ability for
    > certain info from the server network to be displayed on a user's PC
    > screen when a call is transferred from an external call center to an
    > internal user and I figured the only way to do that is to install an
    > VoIP system that interfaces the old PBX with a new IP PBX. How logical
    > does that sound? They also want predictive dialing and IVR. (Those
    > features aren't restricted to VoIP though but if a VoIP system provides
    > them too that would be good.) Any thoughts, comments, suggestion, or
    > further questions are welcomed.
    >
    > Brandon

    There are a number of good Voip books from Cisco Press. Unfortunately, they
    are geared toward Cisco equipment (which may be okay for you, I don't know).
    Also, you might want to check out Chapter 1 of Asterisk: The Future of
    Telephony. It is published by O'Reilly and was available from them in PDF
    format for free. I cannot locate it in PDF format at the moment though on
    their web site.

    You can interface Asterisk (one Voip system) with legacy PBXes; however, I
    have not done it so I cannot speak to that. Asterisk can definitely do IVR
    and I would imagine someone has it doing predictive dialing. Google is your
    friend.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Roberts, Oct 3, 2006

  3. Jonathan Roberts wrote:
    > "Brandon McCombs" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone provide a website (preferrably) or a book that gives an
    >> overview of VoIP architecture? I'm trying to figure out how to propose
    >> a solution of VoIP within an organization that currently uses an old
    >> Siemens PBX. Answers I'm looking for are regarding the ability for
    >> certain info from the server network to be displayed on a user's PC
    >> screen when a call is transferred from an external call center to an
    >> internal user and I figured the only way to do that is to install an
    >> VoIP system that interfaces the old PBX with a new IP PBX. How logical
    >> does that sound? They also want predictive dialing and IVR. (Those
    >> features aren't restricted to VoIP though but if a VoIP system provides
    >> them too that would be good.) Any thoughts, comments, suggestion, or
    >> further questions are welcomed.
    >>
    >> Brandon

    > There are a number of good Voip books from Cisco Press. Unfortunately, they
    > are geared toward Cisco equipment (which may be okay for you, I don't know).
    > Also, you might want to check out Chapter 1 of Asterisk: The Future of
    > Telephony. It is published by O'Reilly and was available from them in PDF
    > format for free. I cannot locate it in PDF format at the moment though on
    > their web site.
    >
    > You can interface Asterisk (one Voip system) with legacy PBXes; however, I
    > have not done it so I cannot speak to that. Asterisk can definitely do IVR
    > and I would imagine someone has it doing predictive dialing. Google is your
    > friend.
    >
    > Jonathan

    I've been using Google and today I used Google Groups to see if I could
    come up with anything else. I resorted to using newsgroups because I
    couldn't find anything useful on the web regarding how to interface a
    VoIP system with a legacy PBX and whether I needed to in order to
    accomplish some of the capabilities we want to implement (or whether
    VoIP was needed at all for what we want). I'll try to find the books you
    mentioned and see if they help.

    thanks
    Brandon McCombs, Oct 3, 2006
  4. Brandon McCombs

    Dmitri Guest

    Brandon McCombs wrote:

    > Can anyone provide a website (preferrably) or a book that gives an
    > overview of VoIP architecture? I'm trying to figure out how to propose

    > a solution of VoIP within an organization that currently uses an old
    > Siemens PBX. Answers I'm looking for are regarding the ability for
    > certain info from the server network to be displayed on a user's PC
    > screen when a call is transferred from an external call center to an
    > internal user and I figured the only way to do that is to install an
    > VoIP system that interfaces the old PBX with a new IP PBX. How logical

    > does that sound? They also want predictive dialing and IVR. (Those
    > features aren't restricted to VoIP though but if a VoIP system provides

    > them too that would be good.) Any thoughts, comments, suggestion, or
    > further questions are welcomed.

    Actually, you don't even need VoIP for what you are trying to do. Well,
    unless you definitely want to use IP trunks for whatever reason. All else
    you can do with a good digital phone system that has a computer interface,
    preferably standard such as TAPI, and can be hooked up to your IP network
    as just a node, not necessarily a VoIP device. Take a look at Avaya IP
    Office that has TAPI feature built in and free and also comes with
    software that shows you status of extensions and can do plenty other
    things based on ANI of the caller or DID or other parameters.

    --

    Best Regards,
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

    Dmitri, Oct 3, 2006
  5. On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 04:09:05 GMT, Brandon McCombs <>
    wrote:
    >I've been using Google and today I used Google Groups to see if I could
    >come up with anything else.

    Launch eMule and download all PDFs that have VoIP in their title.
    There a few good ones. I don't know if you'll find your answer on
    whether you really need to keep using a legacy PBX and how to do this,
    but it doesn't hurt.
    Vincent Delporte, Oct 4, 2006