    Can I use more than 10 characters in my 40 bit password? Is it case
    sensitive?
    Do I need a firewall on my notebook if my router has a firewall?

    old guy, Feb 1, 2005

  2. I can't answer all of your questions, but here's what I do know:

    If you are connecting at 54meg you are connected on a G network (B is 11m).
    WPA is definitely better, probably no big deal if you have other security
    measures in place.
    You should run a software firewall on your notebook, even if your router has
    a firewall, reason being the router firewall filters inbound, not outbound
    traffic (usually). So if you get a Trojan and you don't run a software
    firewall you'll never know it. I use the free Zone Alarm, it is quite good,
    in my opinion.

    Joseph

    Joseph Stewart, Feb 1, 2005

  3. old guy

    old guy Guest

    Joseph Stewart wrote:
    > I can't answer all of your questions, but here's what I do know:
    >
    > If you are connecting at 54meg you are connected on a G network (B is 11m).
    > WPA is definitely better, probably no big deal if you have other security
    > measures in place.
    > You should run a software firewall on your notebook, even if your router has
    > a firewall, reason being the router firewall filters inbound, not outbound
    > traffic (usually). So if you get a Trojan and you don't run a software
    > firewall you'll never know it. I use the free Zone Alarm, it is quite good,
    > in my opinion.
    >
    > Joseph
    >

    > "old guy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>My PC supports 801 b and g. How can I tell which is
    >>being used on my wireless network?
    >>WEP and WPA - how can I tell which one I am using?
    >>I have heard WAP is stronger? Does it make a difference for a home
    >>network? (tech rep says no.)
    >>Can I use more than 10 characters in my 40 bit password? Is it case
    >>sensitive?
    >>Do I need a firewall on my notebook if my router has a firewall?

    Joseph,
    Thanks. Next obvious question. How do I know if I'm running 54 or
    11M? I get the impression I don't set this on the router/PC/notebook.

    old guy, Feb 1, 2005
  4. old guy

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    If you would like a little general education in the matters that you asked
    about, read the content of the following Links.

    Internet - Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html

    As far as Wireless "Speed", if would like to know the real "story".

    Start by putting Wireless client (Computer) close to the source(Wireless
    Router).

    801.11b is rated 11Mb/sec in reality it would provide about 6-8Mb/sec.

    Translating 8b (bit) =1B (Byte) it means about 700KB/sec to 1000KB/sec.

    I.e. if you transfer a 10MB file from the Wireless computer to a Wired
    computer that is on the same Router, it should take about 15 - 10 sec. to
    transfer the file.

    802.11g is rated 54Mb/sec. in reality it would provide about 16-22Mb/sec.

    I.e. transfer rate of 2MB/sec. 2.7MB/sec. same file as above should take
    4 - 5 sec. to transfer.

    All numbers are approximate for demonstration purposes YMMV according to
    your system actual capacity and tuning.

    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 2, 2005
  5. old guy

    old guy Guest

    Joseph,
    Thanks. The links are quite helpful. BTW, my speed at a distance of
    ~20 feet is 36 - guess that's G.

    old guy, Feb 2, 2005
  6. Sure , but you can download OidScope from www.ndis.com which show different
    data for wired/wireless adapters