General Knowledge Trivia Quiz

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kendra Rice, Dec 6, 2007.

  1. Kendra Rice

    Kendra Rice Guest

    What is the highest mountain in the world?

    What is the highest point in North America?

    What is the highest point in the 48 contiguous United States?

    What is the lowest point on land in North America?

    What is the lowest point on land in the world?

    What American-born man became Prime Minister and President of Ireland?

    What American became Prime Minister of Israel?

    How did Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan get his nickname?

    Where is Judge Crater?

    In the sequence "2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13," what is the next number?

    What is litmus paper? What do the colors indicate?

    Arrange the colors of the visible spectrum of light, from lowest
    frequency of wavelength to highest.

    What are quasars?

    The Quarrymen included the nucleus of what well-known rock band?

    What were The Who called before they were The Who?

    Which member of the Grateful Dead inspired an ice cream flavor?

    What is the name of the only Broadway show tune recorded by the Beatles?

    What recording company released the first recordings of Elvis Presley?

    What was known as Seward's Folly?

    In what year did Alaska become a state?

    When was the Louisiana Purchase?

    When did Lewis and Clark embark on their famous expedition to explore
    the new American land?

    What geographic landmark creates the continental divide?

    In what book do all the events occur on June 16, 1904?
    Ulysses

    Ernest Hemingway asserted that all modern American literature comes from
    one book. What novel was Hemingway praising?

    "That's not writing; it's typing" was one American author's comment on
    another's work. Who was talking about whom? (Answer: author on author)

    One famous American poet was a West Point cadet. Who was he?

    Which president of the Confederate States of America was a West Point
    graduate?

    Where did the commanding general of the Confederate forces surrender to
    the commanding general of the Union forces?

    At what battle did Confederate General "Stonewall" Jackson earn his
    nickname?

    Which Civil War general popularized a new men's hairstyle, which became
    known as "sideburns"?

    What is the largest lake in the world?

    Which lake is the largest in North America?

    Arrange the Great Lakes in order of size from largest to smallest, based
    on surface area.

    Which Great Lake is the deepest?

    Which of the Great Lakes does not border on Canada?
    Michigan

    Who was the first woman elected to the U.S. House of Representatives?
    Rankin

    When did women get the right to vote in national elections?

    Where was the first women's rights convention held?

    What was the first co-educational college in the United States?

    Who was the first woman sworn in as a Supreme Court Justice?

    How many tentacles does an octopus have?

    How many tentacles does a squid have?

    How many legs does a spider have?

    How many eyes do most spiders have?

    How fast can dragonflies fly?

    Why do fireflies flash?

    When did Jackie Robinson become the first African-American baseball
    player in the modern major leagues?

    Who was the first African-American Supreme Court justice?
    Marshall

    Who was the first African American to win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    What is a Spinning Jenny?

    What year was the zipper invented?

    What was the name of the Ewings' ranch on the TV show Dallas?
    South Fork

    Warren Beatty appeared as a regular in what popular fifties sitcom?

    Every Tuesday, The Honeymooner's Ralph Kramden plays pool; every
    Thursday, he bowls. Where does Ralphie Boy go on Friday nights?

    Who was the narrator on the 1950s television series "The Untouchables"?

    Which continent is home to the Weddell and Ross Seas?

    Who was the first person to reach the South Pole?

    Who was the first person to fly over the South Pole?

    What percentage of the world's fresh water is in the frozen ice mass of
    Antartica?

    Which nation owns Antartica?

    Name the only team to ever win eight consecutive National Basketball
    Association championships.

    What player averaged 50 points a game for a complete season?

    How many seasons did the American Basketball Association survive?

    Who holds the record for the most lifetime points in the NBA?

    What team has won the most NCAA championships in men's basketball?

    In what year was gold first discovered in California's Sutter's Mill?

    What year did Mrs. O'Leary's cow cause the Chicago fire?

    What year did the great San Francisco earthquake strike?

    What was the name given to the day of the Stock Market Crash on October

    Before they became famous singers, James Brown, Dean Martin, and Jackie
    Wilson all participated in what sport?

    What was the name given to the Motown Records studios at 2648 West Grand
    Boulevard in Detroit?

    What was the title of the first hit record by James Brown and the Famous
    Flames?

    What was the name of Dean Martin's partner in a popular song and comedy
    act?

    What is the longest river in the world?

    What is the largest lake in Africa?

    What is the longest single river in the United States?

    Place the world's oceans in order of size from largest to smallest.

    Is it possible to drown in the Dead Sea?

    Who shot Jesse James?

    At the OK Corral, the Earp Brothers and Doc Holliday exchanged gunfire
    with the outlaw _______ Gang and the _______ brothers. (Answer: name,
    name)

    What was Annie Oakley's real name?

    In poker, a pair of _______ and a pair of _______ is known as a "dead
    man's hand". (Spell out the answer: card, card)

    What year was the first Woolworth's store opened?

    What year did Sears, Roebuck and Co. begin business?

    Where did J.C. Penney originate?

    Barnes & Noble was founded in what year?

    What country has the largest population?

    What country has the smallest population?

    In what country do people speak the language Esperanto?

    What do Istanbul, Constantinople, and Byzantium have in common?

    What is the name of the holiday that commemorates the historic events
    occurring on July 14, 1789?

    Who was assassinated on June 28, 1914?

    What event marked the beginning of World War II?

    In years, what was the lifespan of the Berlin Wall? (Answer: year -
    year)

    How many people died in the flu epidemic of 1918-1919? (In millions)

    Who was the only heavyweight boxing champion to end his career
    undefeated?

    What year did Joe Louis first become the heavyweight champion?

    Who was nicknamed the "Manassa Mauler"?

    What fight was called "The Thrilla in Manila"? (Answer: last name - last
    name)

    What year was the Magna Carta signed?

    Who fought in the Hundred Years War? (Answer: country - country)

    When did Marco Polo go to China?

    How many different wives did Henry VIII have?

    How many of the original Allman Brothers were actually brothers?

    How many brothers were in the Beach Boys?

    What was the relationship between Gladys Knight and the Pips?

    Where did the Doobie Brothers get their name?

    When was the "Star-Spangled Banner" written?

    What is the Monroe Doctrine?

    What happened at the Alamo?

    When did the Erie Canal open?

    In what country was was the game of golf invented?

    Who has won more Masters tournaments than any other golfer?

    What year did Tiger Woods win the Masters tournament for the first time?

    Which of the following athletes is not a member of the Professional
    Bowlers Association Hall of Fame?

    Dave Ferraro
    Chris Antley
    Carmen Salvino
    Don Carter
    Roy Buckley

    Which state in the U.S. has the largest population?

    Which state in the U.S. has the smallest population?

    What is the world's busiest airport?

    What is the largest port in the United States in terms of tonnage
    handled?

    What is the southernmost state in the United States?

    Who was the first elected President of Russia?

    What was the name of the dynasty that ruled Russia from 1613 to 1917?

    What was Rasputin's first name?

    How did Rasputin die?

    What is the highest waterfall in the world?

    What is the highest waterfall in North America?

    How high is Niagara Falls?

    Where is the world's largest desert?

    What is the largest desert in North America?

    What year did the Wright Brothers airplane first take flight?

    What year was the first Model T built?

    The Ryman Auditorium was well known as the home of what musical show?

    What popular artist, who released a CD of heavy metal music in 1997, had
    a hit single in 1957 with a cover version of Little Richard's "Tutti
    Frutti"?

    Where was William Shakespeare born?

    In what year was the Globe Theater built?

    When was Christopher Marlowe born?

    How did Christopher Marlowe die?

    Which Elizabethan dramatist narrowly escaped the gallows for murder?

    What is the name of William Shakespeare's wife?

    What did Shakespeare famously bequeath to his wife?

    Who fought in the Trojan Wars?

    What was the Trojan Horse?

    Which two countries were the combatants in the Persian Wars? (Answer:
    name, name)

    Which ancient city-states were the main adversaries in the Peloponnesian
    Wars? (Answer: name, name)

    What was the first capital of the United States?

    Which city is further east-Key West, Florida, or Lima, Peru?

    In which city was the first electric traffic light installed?

    How do frogs tell us that the air pressure is decreasing? (Two or three
    word answer)

    Do ducks sleep with their eyes open or closed?

    How much gas do cows expel on a daily basis? (Why do cows seldom get
    invited to parties?)

    How far does a skunk spray?

    What are the names of Donald Duck's three nephews?

    What year was Scrabble first released?

    What is the bestselling board game on earth?

    How old is chess?

    What two letters are not on the telephone dial? (Answer: letter, letter)

    What famous Egyptian city was founded by Alexander the Great in 331
    B.C.E.?

    In what country are the remains of Petra located?

    Who were the Vandals?

    Who were the original Young Turks?

    What is unique about Pluto's orbit around our Sun?

    What is the highest mountain in South America?

    Which mountain is the highest point on the continent of Africa?

    What is the highest point in Australia?

    Which of the fifty United States has the lowest high point?

    On what day did Washington cross the Delaware? (Answer: xx/xx/xxxx)

    Besides Paul Revere, who else warned the good people of Concord that the
    British were coming? (Answer: name, name)

    Which American military leaders captured Fort Ticonderoga from the
    British in the American Revolution? (Answer: name, name)

    Who killed Alexander Hamilton?

    What city was the birthplace of Frank Sinatra?

    What was the name of Sinatra's first group?

    What was the movie in which Sinatra won an Oscar?

    How many times was Frank Sinatra married?

    "This wallpaper is killing me" are said to have been the last words of
    which famous author?

    When Leaves of Grass was first published in 1855, whose name appeared on
    the title page?

    "April is the cruelest month" is the beginning of what major 1922 poem?

    Early in his career, Samuel Clemens took the nom de plume "Mark Twain."
    What does "mark twain" mean?

    What kind of bird is a raptor? (Answer: one word)

    What is unique about the migration pattern of the Arctic tern?

    What is unique about the migration of the Monarch butterfly?

    What do birds dream about?

    Do all dogs bark?

    In what century did Europeans first discover Canada?

    In what century did Basque fishermen establish whaling stations in
    Canada?

    What symbol appears on the Canadian flag?

    What is the largest state in the U.S.?

    Which state is the smallest?

    Four states have capital cities named after American presidents. Can you
    name them in alphabetical order? (Answer: state, state, state, state)

    Two NFL quarterbacks passed for more than 50,000 yards in their careers.
    Can you name them and their teams? (Answer: name, name)

    Which team won the infamous "Heidi Bowl"?

    Which National Hockey League team has won the most Stanley Cup
    championships?

    Who is the holder of most of the scoring records in the NHL?

    Who was the inventor of the vacuum cleaner?

    Levi Strauss patented the process, but do you know who invented the blue
    jean?

    What important improvement did Elisha Graves Otis add to the elevator?

    Who invented the computer mouse?

    How many bones are there in the human body?

    How many bones are in a foot?

    What is the common name for the only mammal that can fly?

    How many quills does a porcupine have?
    Kendra Rice, Dec 6, 2007

  2. Kendra Rice

    Stickems. Guest

    Answers on a postcard please.

    Stickems., Dec 6, 2007

  3. Kendra Rice

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:01:29 +0000, Kendra Rice wrote:

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:01:29 +0000, Kendra Rice wrote:

    > What is the highest mountain in the world?

    Mount Everest

    > What is the highest point in North America?

    The summit of Mount McKinley in Alaska

    > What is the highest point in the 48 contiguous United States?

    Mount Whitney, California. (I once owned a Zippo lighter which came from
    the U.S.S. Mount Whitney)

    > What is the lowest point on land in North America?

    Death Valley.

    > What is the lowest point on land in the world?

    The shores of the Dead Sea.

    > What American-born man became Prime Minister and President of Ireland?

    Eamonn DeValera

    > What American became Prime Minister of Israel?

    Golda Meier

    > How did Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan get his nickname?

    He landed his aircraft in Ireland instead of his intended destination of
    Long Beach, California from Brooklyn.

    > Where is Judge Crater?

    Also known as “the most missingest man in New York". Nobody really knows.

    > In the sequence "2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13," what is the next number?

    27 (it's the next item on the menu that also comes with egg fried rice)

    > What is litmus paper? What do the colors indicate?

    An aid to discovering the acidity or alkalinity of a liquid. Goes red for
    acid, blue for alkali.

    > Arrange the colors of the visible spectrum of light, from lowest
    > frequency of wavelength to highest.

    Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet.

    > What are quasars?

    Quasi-stellar objects, the most remote objects in the universe.

    > The Quarrymen included the nucleus of what well-known rock band?

    The Beatles

    > What were The Who called before they were The Who?

    The Who.

    > Which member of the Grateful Dead inspired an ice cream flavor?

    Gerry Garcia

    > What is the name of the only Broadway show tune recorded by the Beatles?

    Till there was you.

    > What recording company released the first recordings of Elvis Presley?

    Sun

    > What was known as Seward's Folly?

    The Alaska Purchase by the United States from the Russia in 1867.

    > In what year did Alaska become a state?

    Jan 3 1959

    > When was the Louisiana Purchase?

    1803

    > When did Lewis and Clark embark on their famous expedition to explore
    > the new American land?

    1804

    > What geographic landmark creates the continental divide?

    Assuming you mean that in North America, the Rocky Mountains

    > In what book do all the events occur on June 16, 1904? Ulysses

    Errrrr..... Ulysses?

    > Ernest Hemingway asserted that all modern American literature comes from
    > one book. What novel was Hemingway praising?

    'Huckleberry Finn' by Mark Twain

    > "That's not writing; it's typing" was one American author's comment on
    > another's work. Who was talking about whom? (Answer: author on author)

    Truman Capote about Jack Kerouac

    > One famous American poet was a West Point cadet. Who was he?

    Edgar Allen Poe

    > Which president of the Confederate States of America was a West Point
    > graduate?

    Jefferson Davis

    > Where did the commanding general of the Confederate forces surrender to
    > the commanding general of the Union forces?

    The home of Wilmer and Virginia McLean in the town of Appomattox Court
    House , Virginia.

    > At what battle did Confederate General "Stonewall" Jackson earn his
    > nickname?

    First battle of Bull Run.

    > Which Civil War general popularized a new men's hairstyle, which became
    > known as "sideburns"?

    Ambrose Burnside

    > What is the largest lake in the world?

    The Caspian Sea

    > Which lake is the largest in North America?

    Lake Superior

    .........To be continued :)
    Aardvark, Dec 6, 2007
  4. "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:01:29 +0000, Kendra Rice wrote:
    >

    >> What American-born man became Prime Minister and President of Ireland?
    >>

    > Eamonn DeValera

    The peadophile should have been shot.

    B B B Brenchley, Dec 6, 2007
  5. Kendra Rice

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:47:40 GMT, Stickems. wrote:

    x-post trimmed from
    Newsgroups:
    alt.fiftyplus,alt.fifty-plus.friends,alt.sixtyplus,uk.media.radio.bbc-r4,demon.local,uk.local.surrey,alt.english.usage,24hoursupport.helpdesk
    to 24hshd,

    Why did you have to repost the entire thing to the 8 groups adding only
    7 lines, 3 of them blank? Just as daft as the OP in that case.

    >Answers on a postcard please.
    >

    >"Kendra Rice" <^4> wrote in message
    >| What is the highest mountain in the world?

    <snip>

    Would be NTL and OE.

    Me
    why?, Dec 6, 2007
  6. Kendra Rice

    The DA Guest

    "Stickems." <> wrote in message
    > Answers on a postcard please.

    A fucking huge postcard.

    The DA, Dec 6, 2007
  7. Kendra Rice

    Alan Hope Guest

    Kendra Rice goes:

    Who gives a ****?

    --
    AH
    http://grapes2dot0.blogspot.com
    Alan Hope, Dec 6, 2007
  8. Kendra Rice

    nospam Guest

    Alan Hope wrote:
    > Kendra Rice goes:
    >

    > Who gives a ****?

    Me, for one. Best thread of 2007 so far! More please?

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 000769-0, 27/08/2007
    Tested on: 12/6/2007 22:56:15
    nospam, Dec 6, 2007
  9. Kendra Rice

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:01:29 +0000, Kendra Rice wrote:

    > Arrange the Great Lakes in order of size from largest to smallest, based
    > on surface area.

    Superior, Huron, Michigan, Ontario, Erie.

    > Which Great Lake is the deepest?

    Superior

    > Which of the Great Lakes does not border on Canada? Michigan

    I'll guess Michigan :)

    > Who was the first woman elected to the U.S. House of Representatives?
    > Rankin

    Another guess- Rankin :)

    > When did women get the right to vote in national elections?

    August 26 1920

    > Where was the first women's rights convention held?

    If you mean in the US, then it was Seneca Falls, New York

    > What was the first co-educational college in the United States?

    Franklin College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania

    > Who was the first woman sworn in as a Supreme Court Justice?

    Sandra Day O'Connor

    > How many tentacles does an octopus have?

    Eight. (Hint- it's in the name)

    > How many tentacles does a squid have?

    2 (also 8 arms)

    > How many legs does a spider have?

    8 (which means spiders are NOT insects, but arachnids)

    8

    > How fast can dragonflies fly?

    96 km/h (60 mph)

    > Why do fireflies flash?

    To attract a mate.

    > When did Jackie Robinson become the first African-American baseball
    > player in the modern major leagues?

    1947

    > Who was the first African-American Supreme Court justice? Marshall

    Marshall?

    > Who was the first African American to win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Dr. Ralph J. Blunche

    > What is a Spinning Jenny?

    A machine for spinning thread from cotton.

    > What year was the zipper invented?

    1914

    > What was the name of the Ewings' ranch on the TV show Dallas? South Fork

    South Fork, I think :)

    > Warren Beatty appeared as a regular in what popular fifties sitcom?

    The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis

    > Every Tuesday, The Honeymooner's Ralph Kramden plays pool; every
    > Thursday, he bowls. Where does Ralphie Boy go on Friday nights?

    Whoring?

    > Who was the narrator on the 1950s television series "The Untouchables"?

    Walter Winchell

    > Which continent is home to the Weddell and Ross Seas?

    Antarctica

    > Who was the first person to reach the South Pole?

    Roald Amundsen

    > Who was the first person to fly over the South Pole?

    Richard E. Byrd

    > What percentage of the world's fresh water is in the frozen ice mass of
    > Antartica?

    70%

    > Which nation owns Antartica?

    None

    > Name the only team to ever win eight consecutive National Basketball
    > Association championships.

    Pah!Stupid American sports.

    > What player averaged 50 points a game for a complete season?

    See above.

    > How many seasons did the American Basketball Association survive?

    See above

    > Who holds the record for the most lifetime points in the NBA?

    See above

    > What team has won the most NCAA championships in men's basketball?

    See above

    > In what year was gold first discovered in California's Sutter's Mill?

    1849

    > What year did Mrs. O'Leary's cow cause the Chicago fire?

    1871

    > What year did the great San Francisco earthquake strike?

    1906

    > What was the name given to the day of the Stock Market Crash on October

    Black Friday

    > Before they became famous singers, James Brown, Dean Martin, and Jackie
    > Wilson all participated in what sport?

    Boxing

    > What was the name given to the Motown Records studios at 2648 West Grand
    > Boulevard in Detroit?

    Hitsville USA

    > What was the title of the first hit record by James Brown and the Famous
    > Flames?

    Please, Please, Please

    > What was the name of Dean Martin's partner in a popular song and comedy
    > act?

    Jerry Lewis

    > What is the longest river in the world?

    The Nile

    > What is the largest lake in Africa?

    Lake Victoria

    > What is the longest single river in the United States?

    Missouri

    **** me this is tiring!

    More later :)
    Aardvark, Dec 6, 2007
  10. Kendra Rice

    The DA Guest

    "nospam" <"chrislovett(nospam)"@f2s.com> wrote in message
    > Alan Hope wrote:
    >> Kendra Rice goes:
    >>

    >> Who gives a ****?

    > Me, for one. Best thread of 2007 so far! More please?
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 000769-0, 27/08/2007
    > Tested on: 12/6/2007 22:56:15

    But not relevant to bbc-r4.
    The DA, Dec 7, 2007
  11. Kendra Rice

    GMK Guest

    "Alan Hope" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>

    >>Four states have capital cities named after American presidents. Can you
    >>name them in alphabetical order? (Answer: state, state, state, state)
    >>

    >>Two NFL quarterbacks passed for more than 50,000 yards in their careers.
    >>Can you name them and their teams? (Answer: name, name)
    >>

    >>Which team won the infamous "Heidi Bowl"?
    >>

    >>Which National Hockey League team has won the most Stanley Cup
    >>championships?
    >>

    >>Who is the holder of most of the scoring records in the NHL?
    >>

    >>Who was the inventor of the vacuum cleaner?
    >>

    >>Levi Strauss patented the process, but do you know who invented the blue
    >>jean?
    >>

    >>What important improvement did Elisha Graves Otis add to the elevator?
    >>

    >>Who invented the computer mouse?
    >>

    >>How many bones are there in the human body?
    >>

    >>How many bones are in a foot?
    >>

    >>What is the common name for the only mammal that can fly?

    a lot

    > Who gives a ****?
    >

    > --
    > AH
    > http://grapes2dot0.blogspot.com
    >

    > ha ha I scrolled the whole fucking lot to see what you would put

    and I wasnt disappointed

    GMK, Dec 7, 2007
  12. Kendra Rice

    GMK Guest

    "The DA" <> wrote in message

    > "Stickems." <> wrote in message
    >> Answers on a postcard please.

    > A fucking huge postcard.

    ha ha ,postie will be pleased
    GMK, Dec 7, 2007
  13. Kendra Rice wrote:

    > What is

    Please don't spam irrelevant newsgroups.

    --
    How unlike the home life of our own dear Queen.
    Remove "antispam" and ".invalid" for e-mail address.
    Frederick Williams, Dec 7, 2007
  14. Kendra Rice

    Alan Hope Guest

    GMK goes:

> [...]
    >>>

    >>>Which National Hockey League team has won the most Stanley Cup
    >>>championships?
    >>>

    >>>Who is the holder of most of the scoring records in the NHL?
    >>>

    >>>Who was the inventor of the vacuum cleaner?
    >>>

    >>>Levi Strauss patented the process, but do you know who invented the blue
    >>>jean?
    >>>

    >>>What important improvement did Elisha Graves Otis add to the elevator?
    >>>

    >>>Who invented the computer mouse?
    >>>

    >>>How many bones are there in the human body?
    >>>

    >>>How many bones are in a foot?
    >>>

    >>>What is the common name for the only mammal that can fly?
    >>>

    >>>How many quills does a porcupine have?

    >a lot
    >

    >> Who gives a ****?
    >>

    >> --
    >> AH
    >> http://grapes2dot0.blogspot.com
    >>

    >> ha ha I scrolled the whole fucking lot to see what you would put

    And you had to quote the whole thing just to add one line of response?

    Alan Hope, Dec 7, 2007
  15. Kendra Rice

    Alan Hope Guest

    Frederick Williams goes:

    >Kendra Rice wrote:
    >>
    >> What is

    >Please don't spam irrelevant newsgroups.

    This is not an irrelevant newsgroup, I'll have you know.

    Alan Hope, Dec 7, 2007
  16. Kendra Rice

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 17:26:15 +0100, Alan Hope wrote:

    >>Please don't spam irrelevant newsgroups.

    > This is not an irrelevant newsgroup, I'll have you know.

    I shot one in my pyjamas once :)
    Aardvark, Dec 7, 2007
  17. Kendra Rice

    The DA Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 17:26:15 +0100, Alan Hope wrote:
    >

    >>>Please don't spam irrelevant newsgroups.

    >> This is not an irrelevant newsgroup, I'll have you know.

    > I shot one in my pyjamas once :)

    What was it doing in your pyjamas?
    The DA, Dec 7, 2007
  18. Kendra Rice