General info re: newsgroups

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bjones, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. bjones

    bjones Guest

    I'm new to newsgroups. I have a few basic questions that someone could
    maybe help me with.

    Assume I've subscribed to some newsgroups, have them set up to "view headers
    only".

    If I decide to download a message and hit the space bar to do so (as Outlook
    Express suggests),

    --Where is that message saved?
    --Can I delete a message and if so, how?
    --If there is a jpg attachment to a downloaded message and it shows up in
    the message window, is that jpg saved on my harddrive and if so, where? (I
    assume that it must be saved somewhere since I can view it)

    I think I need to plink around in settings a bit to limit the number of
    Headers displayed when I "logon" to a particular newsgroup. Live and learn.
    All help on the above questions appreciated.

    jonesie

    bjones, Sep 16, 2003

  2. bjones

    trout Guest

    bjones wrote:

    > I'm new to newsgroups. I have a few basic questions that someone
    > could maybe help me with.
    >
    > Assume I've subscribed to some newsgroups, have them set up to "view
    > headers only".
    >
    > If I decide to download a message and hit the space bar to do so (as
    > Outlook Express suggests),
    >
    > --Where is that message saved?

    Go to Tools (on the toolbar) / Options / Maintenance, and click the
    Store Folder button. It shows you where messages are kept in OE as .dbx
    files (each OE folder has its own).
    (An interesting note, is that each newsgroup you visit will have a
    file there, whether you subscribe or not.)

    > --Can I delete a message and if so, how?

    In a newsgroup? Highlight the message; "Delete" key.

    > --If there is a jpg attachment to a downloaded message and it shows
    > up in the message window, is that jpg saved on my harddrive and if
    > so, where? (I assume that it must be saved somewhere since I can
    > view it)

    With the post, unless you've made a point of saving it elsewhere.

    > I think I need to plink around in settings a bit to limit the number
    > of Headers displayed when I "logon" to a particular newsgroup. Live
    > and learn. All help on the above questions appreciated.

    Tools / Options / Read tab. Under 'News': "get xxx headers at a
    time". Can be set up to 1000.
    One of the most useful functions in newsgroup use is Message / Block
    Sender to thin-out the bozos.
    Final advice; use your "Views" settings. Most often the handiest is
    View / Current View / "Show replies to my Messages" (to show all threads
    in which you've participated).
    --
    "Don't forget to change it back for 'all'."

    trout, Sep 16, 2003

  3. bjones

    bjones Guest

    Trout, thanks a million, I appreciate the Newsgroups 101 crash course info
    :)

    Best regards,

    jonesie

    bjones, Sep 17, 2003
  4. bjones

    bjones Guest

    To trout, or anyone else:

    Another question.... when I hit the space bar to "download" a message that
    says it has a .wmv file attached, I get a view pane full of what looks like
    computer language, but no .wmv file to download. What does this mean?

    Thanks,

    jonesie

    bjones, Sep 17, 2003
  5. bjones

    trout Guest

    bjones wrote:

    > To trout, or anyone else:
    >
    > Another question.... when I hit the space bar to "download" a message
    > that says it has a .wmv file attached, I get a view pane full of what
    > looks like computer language, but no .wmv file to download. What
    > does this mean?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > jonesie

    That's a media file, that comes in parts, over a number of posts;
    and needs to be joined together and opened with a player. Look up
    "combine and decode" in your help files.
    Be warned, though, that Outlook Express is rather clumsy at binary
    downloading, and won't decode some formats (like yEnc) without a
    third-party plug-in. If you plan on downloading a lot of binary files
    like movies or music; you may want to use a different newsreader that
    does all this easily and automatically.
    (I use Xnews for this purpose: http://xnews.newsguy.com/)
    Keep a site like http://filext.com/ bookmarked, to look up file
    extensions, and what opens them.