    2. learn to quote correctly

    hth

    tom

    Tom H. Lautenbacher, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    Mags Guest

    > Hello NG,
    >
    > well I think that a good tip for most users of this help-seeking-newsgroup
    > would be:
    >
    > 1. make more precise subject-lines! (no one is interested in reading
    > postings called "please help", "desktop problems", "beginner programming",
    > and so on.
    >
    > 2. learn to quote correctly
    >
    > hth
    >
    > tom

    Not everyone is completely computer literate and find this kind of thing
    strange but believe there to be really decent people here to help.

    I had several small problems last night and the only subject I could think
    of was please help.

    That to me is a pleasent question with manners and the subject of what for
    is in the body. By starting it please help you are inviting people to read
    your problem and answer at will.

    Is that so bad?

    Mags, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    Trent SC Guest

    > > Hello NG,
    > >
    > > well I think that a good tip for most users of this

    help-seeking-newsgroup
    > > would be:
    > >
    > > 1. make more precise subject-lines! (no one is interested in reading
    > > postings called "please help", "desktop problems", "beginner

    programming",
    > > and so on.
    > >
    > > 2. learn to quote correctly
    > >
    > > hth
    > >
    > > tom
    > >

    > Not everyone is completely computer literate and find this kind of thing
    > strange but believe there to be really decent people here to help.
    >
    > I had several small problems last night and the only subject I could think
    > of was please help.
    >
    > That to me is a pleasent question with manners and the subject of what for
    > is in the body. By starting it please help you are inviting people to read
    > your problem and answer at will.
    >
    > Is that so bad?

    It's not 'bad', and at the same time the volume of posts makes it sometimes
    difficult to spot posts and threads in areas for which I or others might
    have specific experience. Many highly knowledgeable posters here skim the
    subject lines and dip into the threads that look interesting, so you risk
    losing out on their valuable experience.

    Putting something meaningful into the subject line will, in all likelihood,
    get you a better answer, so it's in your interest to put some thought to how
    to describe the problem. Your previous posts could have been titled 'Sygate
    firewall questions', for example.

    Trent SC, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    Mags Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hello NG,
    > > >
    > > > well I think that a good tip for most users of this

    > help-seeking-newsgroup
    > > > would be:
    > > >
    > > > 1. make more precise subject-lines! (no one is interested in reading
    > > > postings called "please help", "desktop problems", "beginner

    > programming",
    > > > and so on.
    > > >
    > > > 2. learn to quote correctly
    > > >
    > > > hth
    > > >
    > > > tom
    > > >

    > > Not everyone is completely computer literate and find this kind of thing
    > > strange but believe there to be really decent people here to help.
    > >
    > > I had several small problems last night and the only subject I could

    think
    > > of was please help.
    > >
    > > That to me is a pleasent question with manners and the subject of what

    for
    > > is in the body. By starting it please help you are inviting people to

    read
    > > your problem and answer at will.
    > >
    > > Is that so bad?
    > >

    > It's not 'bad', and at the same time the volume of posts makes it

    sometimes
    > difficult to spot posts and threads in areas for which I or others might
    > have specific experience. Many highly knowledgeable posters here skim the
    > subject lines and dip into the threads that look interesting, so you risk
    > losing out on their valuable experience.
    >
    > Putting something meaningful into the subject line will, in all

    likelihood,
    > get you a better answer, so it's in your interest to put some thought to

    how
    > to describe the problem. Your previous posts could have been titled

    'Sygate
    > firewall questions', for example.

    I guess so. I'm new to ng's and believed that to be a polite way to start.

    Sorry.

    Mags, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 13:24:41 +0100, "Mags" <>
    scribbled:

    >> Hello NG,
    >>
    >> well I think that a good tip for most users of this help-seeking-newsgroup
    >> would be:
    >>
    >> 1. make more precise subject-lines! (no one is interested in reading
    >> postings called "please help", "desktop problems", "beginner programming",
    >> and so on.
    >>
    >> 2. learn to quote correctly
    >>
    >> hth
    >>
    >> tom
    >>

    >Not everyone is completely computer literate and find this kind of thing
    >strange but believe there to be really decent people here to help.
    >
    >I had several small problems last night and the only subject I could think
    >of was please help.

    I ignore almost every generic subject line. If you can't be bothered to
    be specific in your subject I can't be bothered to read yet another
    'please help' post.

    >That to me is a pleasent question with manners and the subject of what for
    >is in the body. By starting it please help you are inviting people to read
    >your problem and answer at will.

    No you're telling people you're inarticulate and your question probably
    isn't worth reading.

    >Is that so bad?

    Yes.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Jun 5, 2004
  6. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    Mags Guest

    "-= Hawk =-" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 13:24:41 +0100, "Mags" <>
    > scribbled:
    >

    > No you're telling people you're inarticulate and your question probably
    > isn't worth reading.
    >
    > >Is that so bad?

    > Yes.

    Hawk, you are just rude. If you can't be annoyed to read it then don't. I'm
    not asking that absolutly every1 does. I just invited people who *could* be
    bothered to look, to help me.

    Why do people always feel that their opinions count so much.

    I only asked for a bit of help, not to be attacked for the way I asked for
    it.

    Mags, Jun 5, 2004
  7. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    Ionizer Guest

    "Mags" <> wrote in message

    > "-= Hawk =-" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 13:24:41 +0100, "Mags" <>
    > > scribbled:
    > >

    > > No you're telling people you're inarticulate and your question

    probably
    > > isn't worth reading.
    > >
    > > >Is that so bad?

    > > Yes.

    > Hawk, you are just rude. If you can't be annoyed to read it then don't.

    I'm
    > not asking that absolutly every1 does. I just invited people who *could*

    be
    > bothered to look, to help me.
    >
    > Why do people always feel that their opinions count so much.
    >
    > I only asked for a bit of help, not to be attacked for the way I asked

    for
    > it.

    Dear Mags:

    Remain calm, and you'll understand that you are not being attacked at all-
    you are being advised. And I'm sure that your future subject lines will
    be more descriptive now, indicating that you have taken the advice to
    heart.

    This is a fine newsgroup, isn't it?

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jun 5, 2004
  8. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    Mags Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > "Mags" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "-= Hawk =-" <> wrote in message
    > > > On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 13:24:41 +0100, "Mags" <>
    > > > scribbled:

    > Dear Mags:
    >
    > Remain calm, and you'll understand that you are not being attacked at all-
    > you are being advised. And I'm sure that your future subject lines will
    > be more descriptive now, indicating that you have taken the advice to
    > heart.
    >
    > This is a fine newsgroup, isn't it?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    Well at least you were pleasent about it Ian. Much appreciated and I have
    taken the advice as can be seen on my latest post.

    Mags, Jun 5, 2004
  9. Trent SC wrote:

    <everything>

    full ACK

    tom

    Tom H. Lautenbacher, Jun 5, 2004
  10. Hello Mags

    >> Putting something meaningful into the subject line will, in all
    >> likelihood, get you a better answer, so it's in your interest to put
    >> some thought to how to describe the problem. Your previous posts
    >> could have been titled 'Sygate firewall questions', for example.

    > I guess so. I'm new to ng's and believed that to be a polite way to
    > start.
    >
    > Sorry.

    You don't have to be sorry, since you didn't offend anyone.
    You just (as Hawk writes corectly in his posting) loose an tremendeous
    percentage of potential answers.

    -= Hawk =- wrote:

    > I ignore almost every generic subject line. If you can't be bothered
    > to be specific in your subject I can't be bothered to read yet another
    > 'please help' post.

    you must know that in general it is the high-potentials wich think like
    that. that means that you exclude the "cracks" in answering. This might not
    bother you when you are posting easy questions, since other posters at
    beginner level are sufficient.
    but as soon as you will post more difficile problems you will need the help
    of the "pros". and -as you see from the reaction of hawk - many people will
    just ignore your posting.

    so it is not offending or anything- it is just an advice for you to get the
    best out of the fantastic instument called usenet....

    cu
    tom

    cu
    tom.

    Tom H. Lautenbacher, Jun 5, 2004
  11. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 13:59:00 +0100, "Mags" <>
    scribbled:

    >"-= Hawk =-" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 13:24:41 +0100, "Mags" <>
    >> scribbled:
    >>

    >> No you're telling people you're inarticulate and your question probably
    >> isn't worth reading.
    >>
    >> >Is that so bad?

    >> Yes.

    >Hawk, you are just rude. If you can't be annoyed to read it then don't. I'm

    That wasn't rude, shitstain, that was factual.

    >not asking that absolutly every1 does. I just invited people who *could* be

    It's lazy shitwit's like yourself who spell "everyone" with a 1 that are
    the most annoying.

    >bothered to look, to help me.
    >
    >Why do people always feel that their opinions count so much.

    Now ask yourself that very same question, moron.

    >I only asked for a bit of help, not to be attacked for the way I asked for
    >it.

    Life's tough, get the **** over it.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Jun 5, 2004
  12. -= Hawk =- wrote:

    <whole bunch of rude insults>

    why are you getting so rude?

    tom

    Tom H. Lautenbacher, Jun 5, 2004
  13. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Tom H. Lautenbacher wrote:
    > -= Hawk =- wrote:
    >
    > <whole bunch of rude insults>
    >
    > why are you getting so rude?

    Because he /can/? Unmoderated group...get over it. Or don't read his
    posts...you do have choices too.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 5, 2004
  14. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    trout Guest

    Tom H. Lautenbacher wrote:

    > -= Hawk =- wrote:
    >
    > <whole bunch of rude insults>
    >
    > why are you getting so rude?
    >
    > tom

    "Getting"?
    --
    "New around 'here', aren't you?"

    trout, Jun 5, 2004
  15. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 13:24:41 +0100, "Mags" <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >I had several small problems last night and the only subject I could think
    >of was please help.
    >
    >Is that so bad?

    It isd bad if someone sorts the group by subject.
    Search usenet faqs, then read a bunch of them.
    Read your help file.
    Buy a Windows For Dummies book.

    Shel-hed, Jun 5, 2004
  16. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    Toolman Tim Guest

    trout wrote:
    > Tom H. Lautenbacher wrote:
    >
    >> -= Hawk =- wrote:
    >>
    >> <whole bunch of rude insults>
    >>
    >> why are you getting so rude?
    >>
    >> tom

    > "Getting"?

    <vbg>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 5, 2004
  17. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Tom H. Lautenbacher wrote:
    >> -= Hawk =- wrote:
    >>
    >> <whole bunch of rude insults>
    >>
    >> why are you getting so rude?
    >>

    > Because he /can/?

    well, I think in life the magic is not to do everything what someone /can/
    do, but everything what someone /wants/ to do, isn't it?

    > Unmoderated group...get over it. Or don't read his
    > posts...you do have choices too.

    Oh, I don't have to get over anything, and I don't have to ignore him
    eather.
    I actually have no problem at all with other's doing things wich I wouldn't
    do.

    I was just wondering why he is freeking out so much without any obvious
    reason for it. Is he just frustrated?

    Still wondering.
    Tom.

    Tom H. Lautenbacher, Jun 5, 2004
  18. >>> <whole bunch of rude insults>

    >>> why are you getting so rude?
    >>>
    >>> tom

    >> "Getting"?

    > <vbg>

    ??

    Tom.

    Tom H. Lautenbacher, Jun 5, 2004
  19. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    tiredchicken Guest

    "Tom H. Lautenbacher" <> wrote message

    >>> "Getting"?

    >> <vbg>

    > ??
    >
    > Tom.

    google for acronyms

    tiredchicken, Jun 5, 2004
  20. Tom H. Lautenbacher

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Tom H. Lautenbacher wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Tom H. Lautenbacher wrote:
    >>> -= Hawk =- wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <whole bunch of rude insults>
    >>>
    >>> why are you getting so rude?
    >>>

    >> Because he /can/?

    > well, I think in life the magic is not to do everything what someone
    > /can/ do, but everything what someone /wants/ to do, isn't it?
    >
    >> Unmoderated group...get over it. Or don't read his
    >> posts...you do have choices too.

    > Oh, I don't have to get over anything, and I don't have to ignore him
    > eather.
    > I actually have no problem at all with other's doing things wich I
    > wouldn't do.
    >
    > I was just wondering why he is freeking out so much without any
    > obvious reason for it. Is he just frustrated?

    Possibly...but then, at some level, nah...I won't go there <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 5, 2004