    To those who use Epson printers full-time, do you do this every day or only
    when the printer will not be used for several days, a week, etc.
    Thanks, Steve

    Steven Wandy, May 10, 2004

  2. Steven Wandy

    nixjunk Guest

    >I just got the Epson R800 printer. This is the first Epson printer that I
    >will utilize full time.
    >It is suggested in the manuals that when the printer is not in use to remove
    >the paper and close both the top and front openings to avoid dust getting
    >into the printer.
    >To those who use Epson printers full-time, do you do this every day or only
    >when the printer will not be used for several days, a week, etc.
    >Thanks, Steve

    You should always cover such a sensitive and precision device , including
    scanners, especially film scanners.

    nixjunk, May 10, 2004

  3. Steven Wandy

    gsum Guest

    Its a good idea if the printer is in a dusty environment, although
    I don't do this and have not had a problem.

    One thing not mentioned in the manual is that the lubricant on the traverse
    bar will dry out after a few months. This can cause the ink carriage
    to stick to the bar causing it to judder, possibly destroying the print
    heads. This happened to one of my printers when it was just out of
    warranty. Epson recommended adding a spot of light machine oil to
    the bar every 3 months or so.

    Graham

    gsum, May 10, 2004
  4. Steven Wandy

    Rick Guest

    "gsum" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Its a good idea if the printer is in a dusty environment, although
    > I don't do this and have not had a problem.
    >
    > One thing not mentioned in the manual is that the lubricant on the traverse
    > bar will dry out after a few months. This can cause the ink carriage
    > to stick to the bar causing it to judder, possibly destroying the print
    > heads. This happened to one of my printers when it was just out of
    > warranty. Epson recommended adding a spot of light machine oil to
    > the bar every 3 months or so.

    Graham, do you have any kind of reference for this claim?
    As a recent R800 purchaser I'd like to know where you got
    this information.

    Thanks,
    Rick

    Rick, May 10, 2004
  5. Steven Wandy

    Guest

    Steven Wandy <> wrote:
    > I just got the Epson R800 printer. This is the first Epson printer that I
    > will utilize full time.
    > It is suggested in the manuals that when the printer is not in use to remove
    > the paper and close both the top and front openings to avoid dust getting
    > into the printer.
    > To those who use Epson printers full-time, do you do this every day or only
    > when the printer will not be used for several days, a week, etc.
    > Thanks, Steve

    What do you mean by "full-time?" I have been a user of Epson printers for
    many years and I always leave some paper in the printer. I have an Epson R200
    and there isn't even a way to close the top opening.

    , May 11, 2004
  6. Steven Wandy

    Steven Wandy Guest

    > What do you mean by "full-time?" I have been a user of Epson printers for
    > many years and I always leave some paper in the printer.

    I have previously used HP printers for my pictures and text printing. They
    feed the paper from the front, so there is no opening on the top - like the
    Epson's have with their top-feeding paper design.
    By "full time" I mean that I will be using this printer for all my stuff
    (pictures, text, etc.).

    Steven Wandy, May 11, 2004