General Electric (GE) camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by moonsotti, Feb 14, 2007.

  1. moonsotti

    moonsotti Guest

    General Electric is a newcamer to the market of digital cameras
    manufacturers,
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07021401generalimaging.asp

    They say: "... advanced features such as image stabilization, high ISO
    sensitivity, and
    panoramic stitching will be standard on ALL models.

    "Entry-level GE digital cameras will start with 7 megapixels of
    resolution and 2.5-inch LCD screens.
    Higher-end GE cameras will offer up to 12 megapixels of resolution and
    3-inch LCD screens."

    In other words, _more_of_the_same_. I.e., they are coming up with the
    "me too" products. I am not sure that they will be commercially
    successful. I think that manufacturer will be commercially successful
    who comes up to the market with a principically new camera. Such as an
    APS-C sized sensor in a compact P&S body. Such as Sigma DP1. But no.
    Nooooo. So let'em burn. I have no sorrow for them.

    moonsotti, Feb 14, 2007

  2. moonsotti

    Guest

    I don't see it working out. The market is already so saturated with
    digicams - and digicam makers - that manufacturers are dropping out of
    it. The number of possible first-time digicam buyers in America must
    drop by the day - and be few now. And the camera phone sales are
    eating into the "Instamatic" side of the digicam market.

    , Feb 14, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    <""> wrote:

    > I don't see it working out. The market is already so saturated with
    > digicams - and digicam makers - that manufacturers are dropping out of
    > it. The number of possible first-time digicam buyers in America must
    > drop by the day - and be few now. And the camera phone sales are
    > eating into the "Instamatic" side of the digicam market.

    I wonder if they're aware of their own reputation? I have never once -
    in DECADES - had a GE brand consumer electronics product that was
    satisfactory. They would have been better off with a new brand name,
    but I'm sure they're just relabeling some Taiwan junk anyway.

    Nice jet engines, though.

    Scott Schuckert, Feb 14, 2007
  4. moonsotti

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:35:35 -0500, Scott Schuckert wrote:

    > I wonder if they're aware of their own reputation? I have never once -
    > in DECADES - had a GE brand consumer electronics product that was
    > satisfactory. They would have been better off with a new brand name,
    > but I'm sure they're just relabeling some Taiwan junk anyway.
    >
    > Nice jet engines, though.

    I guess that you're not familiar with GE's inexpensive SuperRadio?

    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/radio/superadio/gesr_faq.html

    ASAAR, Feb 14, 2007
  5. moonsotti

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "moonsotti" <> wrote in message
    > General Electric is a newcamer to the market of digital cameras
    > manufacturers,
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07021401generalimaging.asp
    >
    > They say: "... advanced features such as image stabilization, high ISO
    > sensitivity, and
    > panoramic stitching will be standard on ALL models.
    >
    > "Entry-level GE digital cameras will start with 7 megapixels of
    > resolution and 2.5-inch LCD screens.
    > Higher-end GE cameras will offer up to 12 megapixels of resolution and
    > 3-inch LCD screens."
    >
    > In other words, _more_of_the_same_. I.e., they are coming up with the
    > "me too" products. I am not sure that they will be commercially
    > successful. I think that manufacturer will be commercially successful
    > who comes up to the market with a principically new camera. Such as an
    > APS-C sized sensor in a compact P&S body. Such as Sigma DP1. But no.
    > Nooooo. So let'em burn. I have no sorrow for them.

    I think we should start a pool and all pick dates on when GE will drop this
    foolish activity. Or pick how many months they'll stay at it. God, what a
    stupid move. Did anyone every think of the name "GE" when referring to a
    camera? Nope, never, not in their over 100 year life.

    Kinon O'Cann, Feb 14, 2007
  6. moonsotti

    Guest

    On Feb 14, 7:31 pm, "moonsotti" <> wrote:
    > General Electric is a newcamer to the market of digital cameras
    > manufacturers,http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07021401generalimaging.asp
    >
    > They say: "... advanced features such as image stabilization, high ISO
    > sensitivity, and
    > panoramic stitching will be standard on ALL models.
    >
    > "Entry-level GE digital cameras will start with 7 megapixels of
    > resolution and 2.5-inch LCD screens.
    > Higher-end GE cameras will offer up to 12 megapixels of resolution and
    > 3-inch LCD screens."
    >
    > In other words, _more_of_the_same_. I.e., they are coming up with the
    > "me too" products. I am not sure that they will be commercially
    > successful. I think that manufacturer will be commercially successful
    > who comes up to the market with a principically new camera. Such as an
    > APS-C sized sensor in a compact P&S body. Such as Sigma DP1. But no.
    > Nooooo. So let'em burn. I have no sorrow for them.

    Welcome to yesterday......

    K202

    , Feb 14, 2007
  7. In article <>, ASAAR
    <> wrote:

    > I guess that you're not familiar with GE's inexpensive SuperRadio?

    Nope; it would never have occurred to me to look at it. Interesting,
    though - I've often bemoaned the miserable AM performance of almost all
    recent car stereos, stereo receivers, etc. - even some very high-end
    units.

    I DO note in the article you linked to contains phrases like "severe
    quality control issues" and "not uncommon to go through several SR's
    before finding one that's satisfactory."

    Scott Schuckert, Feb 14, 2007
  8. moonsotti

    Bill K Guest

    On Feb 14, 3:26 pm, Scott Schuckert <> wrote:
    > In article <>, ASAAR
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > I guess that you're not familiar with GE's inexpensive SuperRadio?

    > Nope; it would never have occurred to me to look at it. Interesting,
    > though - I've often bemoaned the miserable AM performance of almost all
    > recent car stereos, stereo receivers, etc. - even some very high-end
    > units.
    >
    > I DO note in the article you linked to contains phrases like "severe
    > quality control issues" and "not uncommon to go through several SR's
    > before finding one that's satisfactory."

    GE is a huge company--one of the largest corporations in the world. It
    has a tremendous amount of resources and doesn't undertake an
    initiative without exhaustive research. Maybe they believe theyve
    found a niche where they can dominate. Whether or not it's successful
    remains to be seen but given GE's reputation, it has a strong chance
    of success.
    --
    Gator Bait

    Bill K, Feb 14, 2007
  9. moonsotti

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:23:28 GMT, "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote:

    >"moonsotti" <> wrote in message
    >> General Electric is a newcamer to the market of digital cameras
    >> manufacturers,
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07021401generalimaging.asp
    >>
    >> They say: "... advanced features such as image stabilization, high ISO
    >> sensitivity, and
    >> panoramic stitching will be standard on ALL models.
    >>
    >> "Entry-level GE digital cameras will start with 7 megapixels of
    >> resolution and 2.5-inch LCD screens.
    >> Higher-end GE cameras will offer up to 12 megapixels of resolution and
    >> 3-inch LCD screens."
    >>
    >> In other words, _more_of_the_same_. I.e., they are coming up with the
    >> "me too" products. I am not sure that they will be commercially
    >> successful. I think that manufacturer will be commercially successful
    >> who comes up to the market with a principically new camera. Such as an
    >> APS-C sized sensor in a compact P&S body. Such as Sigma DP1. But no.
    >> Nooooo. So let'em burn. I have no sorrow for them.

    >I think we should start a pool and all pick dates on when GE will drop this
    >foolish activity. Or pick how many months they'll stay at it. God, what a
    >stupid move. Did anyone every think of the name "GE" when referring to a
    >camera? Nope, never, not in their over 100 year life.

    Nobody ever thought of GE when referring to an airplane engine until
    they built their first one. Now they're a major player in hat market.

    GE's more than twice the size of, say, Sony--they certainly have the
    capitalization to establish themselves in the market. The question is
    whether they can come up with a competitive product.

    J. Clarke, Feb 14, 2007
  10. moonsotti

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:26:22 -0500, Scott Schuckert wrote:

    > I DO note in the article you linked to contains phrases like "severe
    > quality control issues" and "not uncommon to go through several SR's
    > before finding one that's satisfactory."

    The article that I provided the link to does not contain the word
    "severe" nor the word "quality". It does contain several dozen
    links to additional articles, and what you read is probably from one
    of those, but after checking a couple of them, including one on
    "repairs and modifications" I still didn't locate what you found.
    Considering the type of person these FAQs were written for, the
    "severe quality control issues" may have been the types of quality
    control issues that would affect performance, and would be typical
    of most similarly constructed and inexpensive electronic products,
    but would probably go unnoticed by most purchasers. For a while,
    Radio Shack sold a similar radio, possibly trying to capitalize on
    the reputation of the GE SuperRadios. Now *there* was a product
    that had severe quality control issues, as well as lesser
    performance due to the use of inferior parts, such as a smaller
    ferrite loop antenna and other things that most owners would never
    see. To get better performance that this $50 analog radio one might
    have to buy a radio from companies such as Drake, but then be
    prepared to spend from $400 to $1,000. That makes it very easy to
    tolerate most quality control issues. I can't think of any problem
    I had with mine, and have had many quality control issues with
    several of Sony's much more highly regarded and expensive AM/FM/SW
    portable radios, none of which matched the SuperRadio's performance.

    ASAAR, Feb 14, 2007
  11. moonsotti

    jeremy Guest

    "Bill K" <> wrote in message
    > On Feb 14, 3:26 pm, Scott Schuckert <> wrote:
    >> In article <>, ASAAR
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> > I guess that you're not familiar with GE's inexpensive SuperRadio?

    >> Nope; it would never have occurred to me to look at it. Interesting,
    >> though - I've often bemoaned the miserable AM performance of almost all
    >> recent car stereos, stereo receivers, etc. - even some very high-end
    >> units.
    >>
    >> I DO note in the article you linked to contains phrases like "severe
    >> quality control issues" and "not uncommon to go through several SR's
    >> before finding one that's satisfactory."

    > GE is a huge company--one of the largest corporations in the world. It
    > has a tremendous amount of resources and doesn't undertake an
    > initiative without exhaustive research. Maybe they believe theyve
    > found a niche where they can dominate. Whether or not it's successful
    > remains to be seen but given GE's reputation, it has a strong chance
    > of success.
    > --
    > Gator Bait

    GE has previously stated that their objective is to be #1 or #2 in any
    market they participate in, or they will withdraw entirely. In other words,
    failure is not an option for them. I suspect that they will have some
    degree of success in this. They do not act in a knee-jerk fashion.

    jeremy, Feb 15, 2007
  12. moonsotti

    davek57 Guest

    I'd guess GE is looking to displace the no-name and inferior digital
    cameras (can you say 'Polaroid') now sold in chain drugstores. That's
    where GE sells a fair amount of computer peripherals (mouses, etc.).
    Probably an OK strategy, short-term. But the glut of cheap digital
    cameras has brought down prices to the point where you can buy 8
    megapixels and pretty good versatility (Kodak's C875 comes to mind)
    for under $175. It's hardly worthwhile getting into this business,
    because it's hard to do it profitably without giving up market share.

    Will I buy a GE - branded camera? Doubtful.

    -Dave

    davek57, Feb 15, 2007
  13. moonsotti

    jeremy Guest

    "davek57" <> wrote in message

    > Will I buy a GE - branded camera? Doubtful.

    It appears that GE is going after mass consumer sales, not guys like us.
    And, if they have the engineering expertise and the manufacturing knowledge
    to build a digital camera at less cost than their competitors, and if they
    can sell them in the millions, it might be profitable for them.

    The mass-market consumer cameras are fast becoming commoditized. What does
    it matter if one buys a 6 MP Pentax, or an HP, or a Casio? They're all
    about the same--especially to consumers that tend not to be as critical as
    more advanced amateurs. There has got to be a shakeup in the
    future--really, who needs all those different brands that all perform about
    the same?

    jeremy, Feb 15, 2007
  14. moonsotti

    Bob Williams Guest

    moonsotti wrote:
    > General Electric is a newcamer to the market of digital cameras
    > manufacturers,
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07021401generalimaging.asp
    >
    > They say: "... advanced features such as image stabilization, high ISO
    > sensitivity, and
    > panoramic stitching will be standard on ALL models.
    >
    > "Entry-level GE digital cameras will start with 7 megapixels of
    > resolution and 2.5-inch LCD screens.
    > Higher-end GE cameras will offer up to 12 megapixels of resolution and
    > 3-inch LCD screens."
    >
    > In other words, _more_of_the_same_. I.e., they are coming up with the
    > "me too" products. I am not sure that they will be commercially
    > successful. I think that manufacturer will be commercially successful
    > who comes up to the market with a principically new camera. Such as an
    > APS-C sized sensor in a compact P&S body. Such as Sigma DP1. But no.
    > Nooooo. So let'em burn. I have no sorrow for them.

    GE makes great Refrigerators, Washers, Dryers, A/Cs and Jet
    engines.....BUT.....
    Most of their electronics stuff is relegated to WalMart. KMart, Target
    and stores of that ilk. They just rebadge cheapo stuff and try to sell
    millions of units. I cannot think of any innovations that GE has made in
    the consumer electronics field in the last 20 years.
    It's not your grandfather's GE any more.
    Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see how long they last in this
    innovation driven business.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Feb 15, 2007
  15. moonsotti

    Guest

    On Feb 14, 12:35 pm, Scott Schuckert <> wrote:
    > I wonder if they're aware of their own reputation? I have >never once - in DECADES - had a GE brand consumer >electronics product that was satisfactory.

    They have much more problems beyond that trying to enter the
    digicam market now. Even with the best quality of all digicams,
    they'd be competing with all the barely-used Canons and Sonys on eBay
    and all the unredeemed pawned ones you can test right in the pawnshop
    now at any given time - at very attractive prices far below what they
    now sell new for.

    , Feb 15, 2007
  16. moonsotti

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 15 Feb 2007 03:00:22 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >On Feb 14, 12:35 pm, Scott Schuckert <> wrote:
    >> I wonder if they're aware of their own reputation? I have >never once - in DECADES - had a GE brand consumer >electronics product that was satisfactory.

    > They have much more problems beyond that trying to enter the
    >digicam market now. Even with the best quality of all digicams,
    >they'd be competing with all the barely-used Canons and Sonys on eBay
    >and all the unredeemed pawned ones you can test right in the pawnshop
    >now at any given time - at very attractive prices far below what they
    >now sell new for.

    By that reasoning nobody would be buying _any_ new digital cameras.

    J. Clarke, Feb 15, 2007
  17. moonsotti

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:45:20 -0800, Bob Williams
    <> wrote:

    >moonsotti wrote:
    >> General Electric is a newcamer to the market of digital cameras
    >> manufacturers,
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07021401generalimaging.asp
    >>
    >> They say: "... advanced features such as image stabilization, high ISO
    >> sensitivity, and
    >> panoramic stitching will be standard on ALL models.
    >>
    >> "Entry-level GE digital cameras will start with 7 megapixels of
    >> resolution and 2.5-inch LCD screens.
    >> Higher-end GE cameras will offer up to 12 megapixels of resolution and
    >> 3-inch LCD screens."
    >>
    >> In other words, _more_of_the_same_. I.e., they are coming up with the
    >> "me too" products. I am not sure that they will be commercially
    >> successful. I think that manufacturer will be commercially successful
    >> who comes up to the market with a principically new camera. Such as an
    >> APS-C sized sensor in a compact P&S body. Such as Sigma DP1. But no.
    >> Nooooo. So let'em burn. I have no sorrow for them.

    >GE makes great Refrigerators, Washers, Dryers, A/Cs and Jet
    >engines.....BUT.....
    >Most of their electronics stuff is relegated to WalMart. KMart, Target
    >and stores of that ilk. They just rebadge cheapo stuff and try to sell
    >millions of units. I cannot think of any innovations that GE has made in
    >the consumer electronics field in the last 20 years.
    >It's not your grandfather's GE any more.
    >Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see how long they last in this
    >innovation driven business.

    The thing that fascinates me is that based on one press release which
    gives _no_ information about the product everyone here is sure they
    know what GE is going to be producing.

    J. Clarke, Feb 15, 2007
  18. moonsotti

    EOS Guest

    On Feb 14, 12:49 pm, ASAAR <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:35:35 -0500, Scott Schuckert wrote:
    > > I wonder if they're aware of their own reputation? I have never once -
    > > in DECADES - had a GE brand consumer electronics product that was
    > > satisfactory. They would have been better off with a new brand name,
    > > but I'm sure they're just relabeling some Taiwan junk anyway.

    > > Nice jet engines, though.

    > I guess that you're not familiar with GE's inexpensive SuperRadio?
    >
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/radio/superadio/gesr_faq.html

    Well they have pretty decent power plants too, like the one that
    powers Tokyo...

    EOS, Feb 15, 2007
  19. In article <>, ASAAR
    <> wrote:

    > The article that I provided the link to does not contain the word
    > "severe" nor the word "quality". It does contain several dozen
    > links to additional articles, and what you read is probably from one
    > of those, but after checking a couple of them, including one on
    > "repairs and modifications" I still didn't locate what you found.

    Actually, it's on the same site, so I assumed the same author. Just
    start with: "I just bought an SR III and it doesn't work!"

    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/radio/superadio/gesr_tech.html#N8A

    Besides, it's not where it's said but whether it's true.

    Why so defensive? I'm pleased to hear GE offers something at this level
    that's at least POTENTIALLY useful; if I were in the market I'd be more
    than willing to go through a few samples of this $50 item to get a good
    one. I've had to do that with some lenses, and they cost a lot more...

    Scott Schuckert, Feb 15, 2007
  20. moonsotti

    Guest

    On Feb 15, 7:51 am, J. Clarke <> wrote:
    > By that reasoning nobody would be buying _any_ new digital >cameras.

    Why else do you think established camera firms are pulling out of
    the digicam market already? It's because the market is saturated -
    between ever-fewer potential customers for their first digicam left,
    and having to compete with eBay for very low prices on barely used
    ones people moved up from.

    , Feb 15, 2007