    I need to install an av product on an xp box. Sure the **** don't want
    Norton bloatware just a simple, reliable AV product.

    Suggestions here:
    Meat Plow, Feb 16, 2006

  2. Meat Plow wrote:
    > I need to install an av product on an xp box. Sure the **** don't want
    > Norton bloatware just a simple, reliable AV product.
    >
    > Suggestions here:

    Avast
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Feb 16, 2006

  3. t-Ctrl-Del wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> I need to install an av product on an xp box. Sure the **** don't
    >> want Norton bloatware just a simple, reliable AV product.
    >>
    >> Suggestions here:

    > Avast

    ...and a link to it:

    One advantage is the tiny incremental downloads, usually on the order of
    2 to 20KB. Not like others that download megabytes each time there is an
    update.

    It's skinnable, too.
    I normally use Lite-On or Flat'n'Simple.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Meat Plow

    sbb78247 Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > I need to install an av product on an xp box. Sure the **** don't want
    > Norton bloatware just a simple, reliable AV product.
    >
    > Suggestions here:

    bit defender was rated high by pcworld mag, but i have not used it.

    pc-cillin 2005/6 has yet to let me down. it found virus crap norton left
    behind and it sped up the system overall with out all of the bloated code
    running.
    sbb78247, Feb 16, 2006
  5. Meat Plow

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:29:51 GMT, "(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)"
    <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote:

    >Meat Plow wrote:
    >> I need to install an av product on an xp box. Sure the **** don't want
    >> Norton bloatware just a simple, reliable AV product.
    >>
    >> Suggestions here:
    >>

    >Avast

    This is a report processed by VirusTotal on 01/29/2006 at 03:25:00 (CET) after
    scanning the file "4332513.scr" file.

    Antivirus Version Update Result
    AntiVir 6.33.0.81 01.28.2006 no virus found
    Avast 4.6.695.0 01.29.2006 no virus found
    AVG 718 01.27.2006 Downloader.Generic.PEZ
    Avira 6.33.0.81 01.27.2006 no virus found
    BitDefender 7.2 01.29.2006 BehavesLike:Trojan.Downloader
    CAT-QuickHeal 8.00 01.27.2006 (Suspicious) - DNAScan
    ClamAV devel-20051123 01.28.2006 no virus found
    DrWeb 4.33 01.28.2006 Trojan.DownLoader.6566
    eTrust-InoculateIT 23.71.62 01.28.2006 no virus found
    eTrust-Vet 12.4.2058 01.27.2006 no virus found
    Ewido 3.5 01.28.2006 Downloader.Banload.rd
    Fortinet 2.54.0.0 01.29.2006 W32/BankDl.AI!dldr
    F-Prot 3.16c 01.28.2006 no virus found
    Ikarus 0.2.59.0 01.27.2006 no virus found
    Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 01.29.2006
    Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Banload.rd
    McAfee 4684 01.27.2006 Generic Downloader.gen.bd
    NOD32v2 1.1385 01.28.2006 no virus found
    Norman 5.70.10 01.27.2006 W32/Downloader
    Panda 9.0.0.4 01.29.2006 Suspicious file
    Sophos 4.02.0 01.29.2006 Troj/BankDl-AI
    Symantec 8.0 01.29.2006 no virus found
    TheHacker 5.9.3.082 01.27.2006 Trojan/Downloader.Banload.rd
    UNA 1.83 01.27.2006 TrojanDownloader.Win32.Banload
    VBA32 3.10.5 01.28.2006 Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Banload.rd

    --
    If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you
    don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology.
    Mara, Feb 16, 2006
  6. Meat Plow

    Trax Guest

    "Synapse Syndrome" <> wrote:

    |>> H+BEDV AntiVir
    |>>
    |>> http://www.free-av.com/
    |>>
    |>> Their new version 7 is far better than the free AVG.
    |>>

    |>How is it better? I liek FreeAVG as it is very light on resources and I can
    |>just forget about it. What I don't like so much is the interface and stupid
    |>pig head that pops up if it finds anything.

    Just a pig head? Kaspersky makes annoying pig squeals when it finds
    anything, I couldn't change the WAV file fast enough.

    As to why anything was even found; I test virus programs here:
    http://vx.netlux.org/

    --
    http://chir.ag/stuff/sand/
    Trax, Feb 16, 2006
  7. Meat Plow

    Tony Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >I need to install an av product on an xp box. Sure the **** don't want
    > Norton bloatware just a simple, reliable AV product.
    >
    > Suggestions here:

    I just tried Avast but am deleting it and putting back AVG. Avast
    noticeably slowed my PC down ( Athlon XP3000 with 1gig ram) whenever I
    opened a file which AVG never done.
    Tony, Feb 16, 2006
  8. Tony wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> I need to install an av product on an xp box. Sure the **** don't
    >> want Norton bloatware just a simple, reliable AV product.
    >>
    >> Suggestions here:
    >>

    > I just tried Avast but am deleting it and putting back AVG. Avast
    > noticeably slowed my PC down ( Athlon XP3000 with 1gig ram) whenever
    > I opened a file which AVG never done.

    So turn that service off...
    Or ... turn it ON in AVG and see what happens.

    BTW, I have a 3.2 gb processor with 1 gb of ram, and Avast doesn't slow
    it down at all.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 16, 2006
  9. Meat Plow

    Tony Guest

    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >>> I need to install an av product on an xp box. Sure the **** don't
    >>> want Norton bloatware just a simple, reliable AV product.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions here:
    >>>

    >> I just tried Avast but am deleting it and putting back AVG. Avast
    >> noticeably slowed my PC down ( Athlon XP3000 with 1gig ram) whenever
    >> I opened a file which AVG never done.

    > So turn that service off...
    > Or ... turn it ON in AVG and see what happens.
    >
    > BTW, I have a 3.2 gb processor with 1 gb of ram, and Avast doesn't slow
    > it down at all.

    What service you talking about? I didn't turn off any service in AVG and it
    made no noticeable difference to performance. Quite often I click on a file
    and all I see is the Avast Globe spinning then the program opens. Read back
    through the previous threads - I'm not the only one it happens to. You are
    probably so used to the way your PC is running that you don't realise it
    would be quicker without Avast just as I was used to it running faster with
    AVG.
    Tony, Feb 16, 2006
  10. Tony wrote:

    >> Tony wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> I just tried Avast but am deleting it and putting back AVG. Avast
    >>> noticeably slowed my PC down ( Athlon XP3000 with 1gig ram) whenever
    >>> I opened a file which AVG never done.

    >> So turn that service off...
    >> Or ... turn it ON in AVG and see what happens.
    >>
    >> BTW, I have a 3.2 gb processor with 1 gb of ram, and Avast doesn't slow
    >> it down at all.

    > What service you talking about?

    Right-click on the "a" and open the "On Access Protection Control."
    Notice many services, seven of them in fact. I have only the first two
    turned on, but as I recall they may have all been on by default.

    > I didn't turn off any service in AVG and it made no noticeable
    > difference to performance. Quite often I click on a file and all I
    > see is the Avast Globe spinning then the program opens. Read back
    > through the previous threads - I'm not the only one it happens to.

    Sure, I've read that. I've also read numerous other comments that say it
    does *not* affect the performance, and that is how it works for me.

    Just thought of this: lots of people experiment with these a-v
    programs, and what are the odds that some of them install a new one
    *without* uninstalling or turning off the old one? Pretty high, I would
    imagine, especially among the clueless noobs. If you get two a-v's
    running at the same time, there will definitely be contentions and other
    problems.

    > You are probably so used to the way your PC is running that you don't
    > realise it would be quicker without Avast just as I was used to it
    > running faster with AVG.

    No, it runs just as fast if I shut Avast off. When I start up an app,
    that little blue 'a' spins for .. a half-second? .. and the app is up
    and running. Really. My newsreader is ready for input in about a second.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 16, 2006
  11. "Trax" <> wrote in message

    > |>How is it better? I liek FreeAVG as it is very light on resources and I
    > can
    > |>just forget about it. What I don't like so much is the interface and
    > stupid
    > |>pig head that pops up if it finds anything.
    >
    > Just a pig head? Kaspersky makes annoying pig squeals when it finds
    > anything, I couldn't change the WAV file fast enough.
    >
    > As to why anything was even found; I test virus programs here:
    > http://vx.netlux.org/

    I use this when I actually do get a virus, which has been only twice in the
    last year since I've known this site: http://virusscan.jotti.org/

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Feb 16, 2006
  12. Meat Plow

    Tab Guest

    ""(Del¤+/Ctrl+¤/Alt¤+)""
    <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote in message
    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> I need to install an av product on an xp box. Sure the **** don't want
    >> Norton bloatware just a simple, reliable AV product.
    >>
    >> Suggestions here:
    >>

    > Avast

    Is there a compatibility problem between avast and zonealarm??When I
    installed avast I got a warning message to that effect.I did not understand
    it so carried on anyway and not noticed any problems so far.
    Tab, Feb 16, 2006
  13. Meat Plow

    mistletoad Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote
    in news:1n95upyg282ua$:

    > t-Ctrl-Del wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:
    >>> I need to install an av product on an xp box. Sure the
    >>> **** don't want Norton bloatware just a simple, reliable
    >>> AV product.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions here:

    >> Avast

    > ..and a link to it:

    from the site:
    "A functional MS Internet Explorer 4 or higher is required for
    the program to work."

    >>plonk equivalent<<

    > One advantage is the tiny incremental downloads, usually on
    > the order of 2 to 20KB. Not like others that download
    > megabytes each time there is an update.
    >
    > It's skinnable, too.

    Well, isn't THAT the MOST important thing in ANY program!!!??

    <SNIP>
    mistletoad, Mar 2, 2006
  14. mistletoad wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote
    >
    >>> Avast

    >> ..and a link to it:

    > from the site:
    > "A functional MS Internet Explorer 4 or higher is required for
    > the program to work."

    Where do you see that? I haven't ever visited the site with IE. That
    browser has nothing to do with Avast, and certainly is not required.

    >> One advantage is the tiny incremental downloads, usually on
    >> the order of 2 to 20KB. Not like others that download
    >> megabytes each time there is an update.
    >>
    >> It's skinnable, too.
    >> I normally use Lite-On or Flat'n'Simple.

    > Well, isn't THAT the MOST important thing in ANY program!!!??

    Sure is! Don't you like choices?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 2, 2006
  15. Meat Plow

    > mistletoad wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote

    >>> ..and a link to it:

    >> from the site:
    >> "A functional MS Internet Explorer 4 or higher is required
    >> for the program to work."

    > Where do you see that?

    It says so RIGHT IN THE SYS REQUIREMENTS PAGE. Maybe you should
    visit again.

    I haven't ever visited the site
    > with IE.

    "for the program [avast] to work", not "to see the site
    properly".

    Nor have I. IE/OE will NEVER be installed on ANY machine I own.
    That's why avast (and many other programs requiring IE will also
    never be installed here.
    VERY IRONIC that a security program requires IE to work!!!

    >That browser has nothing to do with Avast, and
    > certainly is not required.

    Not according to the manufacturer, see above.

    >>> One advantage is the tiny incremental downloads, usually
    >>> on the order of 2 to 20KB. Not like others that download
    >>> megabytes each time there is an update.
    >>>
    >>> It's skinnable, too.
    >>> I normally use Lite-On or Flat'n'Simple.

    >> Well, isn't THAT the MOST important thing in ANY
    >> program!!!??

    > Sure is! Don't you like choices?

    Well, if the choice is between a pleasant grey (I have me entire
    Windows color scheme in shades of gray ONLY) or some crackhead's
    "abstract" design (which Vasarely et. al. were doing decades
    ago) let alone Aguilera's ugly mug, then I opt for the grey.

    In fairness, I haven't seen the skins. But I have seen them for
    other programs and I have NEVER seen a skin better than the
    basic original one. (Well except for the ugly-ass bluish Windows
    default, or whatever it may be now - as I said, I changed
    everything to shades of grey. MUCH easier on the brain.) Just my
    opinion.

    Cheers.
    mistletoad, Mar 2, 2006
  16. mistletoad wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote
    > in

    <snippage>
    >> Where do you see that?

    > It says so RIGHT IN THE SYS REQUIREMENTS PAGE. Maybe you should
    > visit again.

    Would have been easier if you had said "on another page". Umm?

    Yes, it does say that at
    and I have no idea why. Avast works fine for me and I never use IE for
    anything. It is installed though, but disabled.

    > I haven't ever visited the site
    >> with IE.

    > "for the program [avast] to work", not "to see the site
    > properly".

    Again, Avast works fine for me. <shrug>

    > Nor have I. IE/OE will NEVER be installed on ANY machine I own.
    > That's why avast (and many other programs requiring IE will also
    > never be installed here.
    > VERY IRONIC that a security program requires IE to work!!!

    I'll bet that line is a misteak. Since you've apparently somehow
    uninstalled IE, why don't you see if Avast will work or not, and settle
    the matter once and for all?

    >>That browser has nothing to do with Avast, and
    >> certainly is not required.

    > Not according to the manufacturer, see above.

    Who knows? Since the program obviously works without IE (running),
    let's just drop it, eh?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 3, 2006
  17. Meat Plow

    > mistletoad wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <>
    >> wrote in
    >> :
    >>

    > <snippage>
    >>> Where do you see that?

    >> It says so RIGHT IN THE SYS REQUIREMENTS PAGE. Maybe you
    >> should visit again.

    > Would have been easier if you had said "on another page".
    > Umm?

    Only if you possess supernatural powers that would lead you the
    indicated page out of the 20 or 30 (just guessing) that comprise
    the site. Yet, you complain instead of tthanking for the direct
    link.

    > Yes, it does say that at
    > and I have no idea why. Avast works fine for me and I never
    > use IE for anything. It is installed though, but disabled.

    You are new to Windows, aren't you? Nothing M$ can be really
    "disabled".
    IE is directly tied into the system and unmless you use a Lite
    program or something like it you CAN NOT "disable" it or "get it
    deleted" or "kill it" etc. etc. Welcome to the world of
    Microsoft.

    >> I haven't ever visited the site
    >>> with IE.

    >> "for the program [avast] to work", not "to see the site
    >> properly".

    > Again, Avast works fine for me. <shrug>
    >
    >> Nor have I. IE/OE will NEVER be installed on ANY machine I
    >> own. That's why avast (and many other programs requiring
    >> IE will also never be installed here.
    >> VERY IRONIC that a security program requires IE to work!!!

    > I'll bet that line is a misteak. Since you've apparently
    > somehow uninstalled IE, why don't you see if Avast will
    > work or not, and settle the matter once and for all?

    I like misteaks well done. Mabye a little salsa on top.

    Because my anti-intrusion programs work just fine. Why **** with
    it if it works great?

    >>>That browser has nothing to do with Avast, and
    >>> certainly is not required.

    >> Not according to the manufacturer, see above.

    > Who knows? Since the program obviously works without IE
    > (running), let's just drop it, eh?

    Already answered above. Read up on Windows and its unknown (to
    many, apparently YOU included) evils. You might be VERY
    surprised as to what actually goes on in your machine.

    Good luck. You're gonna need it.
    mistletoad, Mar 4, 2006
  18. mistletoad wrote:

    > You are new to Windows, aren't you?

    Har! I still have the 5¼ inch Windows 2.0 and Windows 286 disks in a
    box in the garage.

    > Good luck. You're gonna need it.

    Why, thank you very much.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 5, 2006