General B/U query (Retrospect s-ware)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MZB, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. MZB

    MZB Guest

    I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 that I bought about 5 months ago. I also paid
    the $10. to get the Windows CD.

    I recently bought WD external hard drive. It comes with their Retrospective
    Software.

    So, I have been regularly backing up my system. I do the proprietory b/u for
    everything (it does it complete the first time and then does incrementals
    for future backups).

    I also do a duplicate b/u for certain crucial folders (work
    documents/music/photos/etc.). The duplicate ones are easy to retrieve if
    needed as I can just go into a DOS Command prompt and do it or just drag and
    drop. Or I can use the retrospective software if desired.

    Anyway, my question is this. Suppose my laptop goes South. I'm still not
    sure what I would do. Would I reformat the drive (assuming I could somehow
    do this) and reinstall XP and then reinstall the Retrospect s-ware in order
    to finally re-install everything back from the external hard drive.

    Basically I'm a bit confused on how to proceed if a problem develops.
    Currently, and I can back up stuff and restore stuff since the laptop is
    working fine. BUT, what if there's a problem.

    Another question: let's say the laptop gets damaged beyond repair. Then I
    buy a new laptop (I can easily get a comparable system for under $750 I
    assume). Then do I just once again install the Retrospective s-ware and
    restore the folders??(Would I even be able to do that on a different
    laptop??)

    Mel
    MZB, Jan 16, 2006

  2. MZB

    Mitch Guest

    In article <hgFyf.420$>, MZB <>
    wrote:

    > Anyway, my question is this. Suppose my laptop goes South. I'm still not
    > sure what I would do. Would I reformat the drive (assuming I could somehow
    > do this) and reinstall XP and then reinstall the Retrospect s-ware in order
    > to finally re-install everything back from the external hard drive.
    >
    > Basically I'm a bit confused on how to proceed if a problem develops.
    > Currently, and I can back up stuff and restore stuff since the laptop is
    > working fine. BUT, what if there's a problem.
    >
    > Another question: let's say the laptop gets damaged beyond repair. Then I
    > buy a new laptop (I can easily get a comparable system for under $750 I
    > assume). Then do I just once again install the Retrospective s-ware and
    > restore the folders??(Would I even be able to do that on a different
    > laptop??)

    I don't knwo what kind of backup files you are creating, but the
    backups are for copying back to the drive. Any other issues (like
    whether you need to reinstall the system or Retrospect) are separate
    issues from the backups.
    In other words, if you just lost some files out of your current system,
    you would use Retrospect (already on it) to restore those files.
    If you lost the system entirely, you would, of course, have to restore
    the system OR repair the hardware OR get a whole new system -- but none
    of those have anything to do with your backed-up files. You would
    restore them last.
    Mitch, Jan 16, 2006