    I'm interested to see if I can do without it.

    Thanks

    Greg

    Greg Krzeszkowski, May 24, 2004

  2. "Greg Krzeszkowski" <> wrote in message
    > would there be any disastrous effect if I converted a X21 DCE cable
    > (female DB15) to male DB15?

    As long as the Cisco will still act as a DCE, there should be no problem.

    Phillip Remaker, May 24, 2004

  3. Hi Greg.

    (Greg Krzeszkowski) wrote in message news:<>...

    > would there be any disastrous effect if I converted a X21 DCE cable
    > (female DB15) to male DB15? I realise I should buy a DTE cable, but
    > I'm interested to see if I can do without it.

    If what you want is a DCE with a male connector (unusual) then you
    can do this. But that's not the same as a DTE cable. More than
    just the gender is different between a DTE and DCE. For example,
    the DTE transmits on pins 2/9 while a DCE sends its data out on pins
    4/11.

    If you are going to be connecting two DCEs together, you have to
    cross over TxData/RxData and control/indication. A null modem
    (usually used to connect two DTEs) should work if you change the
    gender on it. Normally a null modem wouldn't be any good between
    DCEs, but the clocking scheme is a little different on X.21 (than
    on V.35 or RS-232, for example).

    You can find null modem specs on our website (www.wanware.com) in
    the support section.

    Steve

    Steve Schefter phone: +1 705 725 9999 x26
    The Software Group Limited fax: +1 705 725 9666
    642 Welham Road,
    Barrie, Ontario CANADA L4N 9A1 Web: www.wanware.com

    Steve Schefter, May 25, 2004