    Take a look at these cool looking new heatspreaders that GEIL has been showing off recently

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30194

    I wonder how well they work, I wonder how much GEIL stock will rise also :p

    Silverstrand, Mar 20, 2006

  2. Silverstrand

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    They look neat, I can think of a few mods that'd benifit from that Art Deco styling. And the heat spreaders look like they'd be very effective. However is memory heat really such a big issue?

    The Modfather, Mar 20, 2006

  3. Silverstrand

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Those modules take in a lot more power since they use the floppy power connector. Adding up to 3v must add a lot of heat, otherwise what would be the point in designing new heatspreaders?

    Silverstrand, Mar 20, 2006
  4. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    why not just do what everyone else does when they OC with voltages of >= 3.4, Shove a fan on it. If your ram required STOCK voltages of 3.0volts, you have just voided your AMD Warranty (2.75volts). Not sure about intel though, though it wouldn't surprise me if they have less of a gap like 2.7 or 2.65.

    unholy, Mar 20, 2006
  5. Silverstrand

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    ...because....

    You need a good heatsink (heat spreader) so the airflow from the fan is effective. The more surface area you have, the better you are able to transfer heat energy from the heat spreader to the surrounding air.

    I love the look of this memory. Only issue I see is that they won't fit near each other in some motherboards. If you have memory slots that are close to each other, forget about it.

    When it comes to modding, I wish there were a way to separate the memory location from the motherboards, which are typically buried within the case. Can you imagine extending the memory DIMM sockets to another location on your case (with lots of wires, naturally) just to show off the memory sticks better?:mmmpepsi:

    bigal, Mar 20, 2006
  6. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    well u could do that, with A HEAP of wires, but if u had noticed some differences with the DFI LanParty's and there DIMM location, they seem to perform a few MB faster then other Mobo's :)

    Video cards are different u can move them, its just ram has such high speeds

    unholy, Mar 21, 2006
  7. Silverstrand

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Do you mean "perform a few MHz faster"? MB is MegaBytes, a quantity. MHz is MegaHertz, a frequency in cycles per second.

    bigal, Mar 21, 2006
  8. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    MB/s :p, thats what i meant by faster its only like 10mb/s faster or something

    unholy, Mar 21, 2006