GeForce2 MX200 to a Xtasy GeForce4 MX 420

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I recently bought a new video card for my computer and decided to put my old
    card in my son's computer. He had a GeForce2 MX 200 in his computer, an AMD
    Athlon 1100 with Win98 SE and 512MB of DDR ram. I had an Xtasy GeForce4 MX
    420 PCI that I had just taken out of mine and figured it should be better
    than his (I was actually quite happy with it in my machine).

    I started by deleting his old card from his computer (drivers, software,
    etc.,) and putting my GeForce 4 in an open PCI slot. I fired his machine up.
    I had downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia and installed them after the
    computer booted up. It said to reboot again, so I did. But it kept
    restarting before finally going into safe mode. I eventually got that
    problem solved by switching PCI slots on the mobo. Now to my main concern.

    After getting everything loaded and the display settings set to the way I
    wanted, I decided to test out some of his games already loaded on his
    machine to see how much better they would look. To my surprise, the two
    games I tested out looked horrible with the MX 420 in and his computer
    actually seems like it is running slower now. The mouse is really lagging on
    the screen (moves and stops, moves and stops) and when I move the cursor
    over a menu, it takes the cursor way longer to move to what I clicked on or
    to what I am pointing to. Star Wars Battlefront looked alot worse than it
    did on his GeForce 2 (the nice blue skies are now just black screen and when
    I tried to detect best configuration in the video options, it set everything
    to low details). GTA 3 was also very "smeary" looking (the colours on the
    screen were all washed out and blended together - could hardly see the
    pictures on the screen while it loaded).

    Did I do something wrong when changing over the card or something to cause
    this? Do the games need to be deleted and reloaded with the new card in now
    to take advantage of the new card( I tried configuring the options in each
    game, but to no avail)? Or is the GeForce2 MX 200 just a better card than
    the GeForce4 MX 420 for his machine?

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the length of
    this post.

    TIA,
    Mike

    Mike, Feb 9, 2005

  2. Mike, <>, the docile, froward bugbane, and dealer in
    hides and mule driver, exhaled:

    > I recently bought a new video card for my computer and decided to put
    > my old card in my son's computer. He had a GeForce2 MX 200 in his
    > computer, an AMD Athlon 1100 with Win98 SE and 512MB of DDR ram. I
    > had an Xtasy GeForce4 MX 420 PCI that I had just taken out of mine
    > and figured it should be better than his (I was actually quite happy
    > with it in my machine).
    >
    > I started by deleting his old card from his computer (drivers,
    > software, etc.,) and putting my GeForce 4 in an open PCI slot. I
    > fired his machine up. I had downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia
    > and installed them after the computer booted up. It said to reboot
    > again, so I did. But it kept restarting before finally going into
    > safe mode. I eventually got that problem solved by switching PCI
    > slots on the mobo. Now to my main concern.
    >
    > After getting everything loaded and the display settings set to the
    > way I wanted, I decided to test out some of his games already loaded
    > on his machine to see how much better they would look. To my
    > surprise, the two games I tested out looked horrible with the MX 420
    > in and his computer actually seems like it is running slower now. The
    > mouse is really lagging on the screen (moves and stops, moves and
    > stops) and when I move the cursor over a menu, it takes the cursor
    > way longer to move to what I clicked on or to what I am pointing to.
    > Star Wars Battlefront looked alot worse than it did on his GeForce 2
    > (the nice blue skies are now just black screen and when I tried to
    > detect best configuration in the video options, it set everything to
    > low details). GTA 3 was also very

    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    Konel the invasive, Feb 9, 2005

  3. Mike

    Thagor Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in

    > I recently bought a new video card for my computer and decided to put
    > my old card in my son's computer. He had a GeForce2 MX 200 in his
    > computer, an AMD Athlon 1100 with Win98 SE and 512MB of DDR ram. I had
    > an Xtasy GeForce4 MX 420 PCI that I had just taken out of mine and
    > figured it should be better than his (I was actually quite happy with
    > it in my machine).
    >
    > I started by deleting his old card from his computer (drivers,
    > software, etc.,) and putting my GeForce 4 in an open PCI slot. I fired
    > his machine up. I had downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia and
    > installed them after the computer booted up. It said to reboot again,
    > so I did. But it kept restarting before finally going into safe mode.
    > I eventually got that problem solved by switching PCI slots on the
    > mobo. Now to my main concern.
    >
    > After getting everything loaded and the display settings set to the
    > way I wanted, I decided to test out some of his games already loaded
    > on his machine to see how much better they would look. To my surprise,
    > the two games I tested out looked horrible with the MX 420 in and his
    > computer actually seems like it is running slower now. The mouse is
    > really lagging on the screen (moves and stops, moves and stops) and
    > when I move the cursor over a menu, it takes the cursor way longer to
    > move to what I clicked on or to what I am pointing to. Star Wars
    > Battlefront looked alot worse than it did on his GeForce 2 (the nice
    > blue skies are now just black screen and when I tried to detect best
    > configuration in the video options, it set everything to low details).
    > GTA 3 was also very "smeary" looking (the colours on the screen were
    > all washed out and blended together - could hardly see the pictures on
    > the screen while it loaded).
    >
    > Did I do something wrong when changing over the card or something to
    > cause this? Do the games need to be deleted and reloaded with the new
    > card in now to take advantage of the new card( I tried configuring the
    > options in each game, but to no avail)? Or is the GeForce2 MX 200 just
    > a better card than the GeForce4 MX 420 for his machine?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the length
    > of this post.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Mike

    The GF4 model should perform a little better. Your problem is more than
    likely the new NV drivers. I suggest you return to an older version
    closer to the one supplied with the card. I personally have found the
    56.nn version to be the best for the older GF4 models I deal with.
    Otherwise, a quick check in the BIOS settings may reveal some optimum
    performance problems as well.

    Thagor, Feb 10, 2005
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks Thagor. Was thinking of rolling back the drivers as my last resort
    (nothing else has improved the performance up to now), will definitely give
    that a try right now.

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 10, 2005