    Both made by same manufacturer (Gigabyte) and both are 8x AGP.

    Thoughts?

    Rider
    Rider, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message
    news:HvcQd.1476$...
    >I havent had much time to keep up with AGP trends of late. Your opinion/s
    >which would you rather have, as far as mid range video cards go.
    >
    > A GeForce FX5500 128Mb
    >
    > or
    >
    > A Radeon 9250 128Mb

    A Radeon 9550 128Mb, not the 9250
    Rider, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Rider

    Daniel Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > I havent had much time to keep up with AGP trends of late. Your opinion/s
    > which would you rather have, as far as mid range video cards go.
    >
    > A GeForce FX5500 128Mb
    >
    > or
    >
    > A Radeon 9250 128Mb
    >
    > Both made by same manufacturer (Gigabyte) and both are 8x AGP.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Rider

    Do you know the card specs? (i.e. core-speed/memory-speed/memory
    interface bus-width).
    Daniel, Feb 15, 2005
  4. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    >> I havent had much time to keep up with AGP trends of late. Your opinion/s
    >> which would you rather have, as far as mid range video cards go.
    >>
    >> A GeForce FX5500 128Mb
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> A Radeon 9250 128Mb
    >>
    >> Both made by same manufacturer (Gigabyte) and both are 8x AGP.
    >>
    >> Thoughts?
    >>
    >> Rider
    >>

    > Do you know the card specs? (i.e. core-speed/memory-speed/memory interface
    > bus-width).

    Radeon 9550

    ATI RADEON 9550
    MEMORY: 128MB
    MEMORY BUS: 128bit
    BUS: AGP 8X
    MEMORY TYPE: GDR 8Mx16
    ENGINE CLOCK: 250MHz
    MEMORY CLOCK: 400MHz
    PIXEL PIPELINES: 4
    * High Performance 128MB DDR memory accelerates the latest 3D games
    * All new 64 bit memory interface
    * Supports the new AGP 8X standard
    * Support Microsoft DirectX 9.0 compatibility and full DirectX 8.1
    * TV-Out connector supported.

    FX5500

    CORE CLOCK: 300MHz
    MEM CLOCK: 400MHz
    MEMORY: 128MB
    MEMORY BUS: 128 bit
    BUS: AGP 8X
    MEMORY TYPE: DDR 8Mx16
    TOOLS: V-Tuner II
    SOFTWARE: Power DVD 5.0

    Cheers
    Rider
    Rider, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Rider

    Daniel Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>Do you know the card specs? (i.e. core-speed/memory-speed/memory interface
    >>bus-width).

    > Radeon 9550
    >
    > ATI RADEON 9550
    > MEMORY: 128MB
    > MEMORY BUS: 128bit
    > BUS: AGP 8X
    > MEMORY TYPE: GDR 8Mx16
    > ENGINE CLOCK: 250MHz
    > MEMORY CLOCK: 400MHz
    > PIXEL PIPELINES: 4
    > * High Performance 128MB DDR memory accelerates the latest 3D games
    > * All new 64 bit memory interface
    > * Supports the new AGP 8X standard
    > * Support Microsoft DirectX 9.0 compatibility and full DirectX 8.1
    > * TV-Out connector supported.
    >

    > FX5500
    >

    > CORE CLOCK: 300MHz
    > MEM CLOCK: 400MHz
    > MEMORY: 128MB
    > MEMORY BUS: 128 bit
    > BUS: AGP 8X
    > MEMORY TYPE: DDR 8Mx16
    > TOOLS: V-Tuner II
    > SOFTWARE: Power DVD 5.0
    >
    > Cheers
    > Rider

    Ummm... the 9550 info seems to conflict a little (the MEMORY BUS is
    128-bit, but then it states "All new 64 bit memory interface").

    Can you list the model/manufacturer numbers for those units?

    Cheers.
    Daniel, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    >> "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>Do you know the card specs? (i.e. core-speed/memory-speed/memory
    >>>interface bus-width).

    >> Radeon 9550
    >>
    >> ATI RADEON 9550
    >> MEMORY: 128MB
    >> MEMORY BUS: 128bit
    >> BUS: AGP 8X
    >> MEMORY TYPE: GDR 8Mx16
    >> ENGINE CLOCK: 250MHz
    >> MEMORY CLOCK: 400MHz
    >> PIXEL PIPELINES: 4
    >> * High Performance 128MB DDR memory accelerates the latest 3D games
    >> * All new 64 bit memory interface
    >> * Supports the new AGP 8X standard
    >> * Support Microsoft DirectX 9.0 compatibility and full DirectX 8.1
    >> * TV-Out connector supported.
    >>

    >> FX5500
    >>

    >> CORE CLOCK: 300MHz
    >> MEM CLOCK: 400MHz
    >> MEMORY: 128MB
    >> MEMORY BUS: 128 bit
    >> BUS: AGP 8X
    >> MEMORY TYPE: DDR 8Mx16
    >> TOOLS: V-Tuner II
    >> SOFTWARE: Power DVD 5.0
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Rider
    >>

    > Ummm... the 9550 info seems to conflict a little (the MEMORY BUS is
    > 128-bit, but then it states "All new 64 bit memory interface").
    >
    > Can you list the model/manufacturer numbers for those units?
    >
    > Cheers.

    Its meant to be 128bit, idiot suppliers
    Rider, Feb 15, 2005
  7. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >> Rider wrote:
    >>> I havent had much time to keep up with AGP trends of late. Your
    >>> opinion/s which would you rather have, as far as mid range video cards
    >>> go.
    >>>
    >>> A GeForce FX5500 128Mb
    >>>
    >>> or
    >>>
    >>> A Radeon 9250 128Mb
    >>>
    >>> Both made by same manufacturer (Gigabyte) and both are 8x AGP.
    >>>
    >>> Thoughts?
    >>>
    >>> Rider
    >>>

    >> Do you know the card specs? (i.e. core-speed/memory-speed/memory
    >> interface bus-width).

    > Radeon 9550
    >
    > ATI RADEON 9550
    > MEMORY: 128MB
    > MEMORY BUS: 128bit
    > BUS: AGP 8X
    > MEMORY TYPE: GDR 8Mx16
    > ENGINE CLOCK: 250MHz
    > MEMORY CLOCK: 400MHz
    > PIXEL PIPELINES: 4
    > * High Performance 128MB DDR memory accelerates the latest 3D games
    > * All new 64 bit memory interface
    > * Supports the new AGP 8X standard
    > * Support Microsoft DirectX 9.0 compatibility and full DirectX 8.1
    > * TV-Out connector supported.
    >

    > FX5500
    >

    > CORE CLOCK: 300MHz
    > MEM CLOCK: 400MHz
    > MEMORY: 128MB
    > MEMORY BUS: 128 bit
    > BUS: AGP 8X
    > MEMORY TYPE: DDR 8Mx16
    > TOOLS: V-Tuner II
    > SOFTWARE: Power DVD 5.0
    >
    > Cheers
    > Rider

    Actually, suppliers stats are all screwed up.

    Radeon here: http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-R955128D.htm

    GeForce here: http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-N55128DP.htm

    Cheers
    Rider, Feb 15, 2005
  8. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    >> "Rider" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Actually, suppliers stats are all screwed up.
    >>

    >> Radeon here:
    >> http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-R955128D.htm
    >>

    >> GeForce here:
    >> http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-N55128DP.htm
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > Well, looks like the FX5500 is the gruntier one. Only, downside is that it
    > has a fan (not unexpected considering those specs).
    >
    > Not sure. I'd probably pick the FX5500 for games and Linux compatibility,
    > and the R9550 as the quiet option.

    Cheers for that. As its going in a system with a 3Ghz Athlon, I might pick
    the quiet option.

    Thanks

    Rider
    Rider, Feb 15, 2005
  9. Rider

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel, Feb 15, 2005
  10. Rider

    Allistar Guest

    Rider wrote:

    > I havent had much time to keep up with AGP trends of late. Your opinion/s
    > which would you rather have, as far as mid range video cards go.
    >
    > A GeForce FX5500 128Mb
    >
    > or
    >
    > A Radeon 9250 128Mb
    >
    > Both made by same manufacturer (Gigabyte) and both are 8x AGP.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Rider

    It would depend on what operating system you were using. If Linux I would go
    with the Nvidia. They are more Linux friendly.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Feb 15, 2005
  11. Rider

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Well, looks like the FX5500 is the gruntier one. Only, downside is
    >> that it has a fan (not unexpected considering those specs).
    >>
    >> Not sure. I'd probably pick the FX5500 for games and Linux
    >> compatibility, and the R9550 as the quiet option.

    > Cheers for that. As its going in a system with a 3Ghz Athlon, I might
    > pick the quiet option.

    A 3Ghz Athlon????? Man I'm behind the times, I didn't know they made them.
    If that's the case then I wouldn't worry about noise from the video card,
    the CPU fan will drown it out.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 15, 2005
  12. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    >> "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Well, looks like the FX5500 is the gruntier one. Only, downside is
    >>> that it has a fan (not unexpected considering those specs).
    >>>
    >>> Not sure. I'd probably pick the FX5500 for games and Linux
    >>> compatibility, and the R9550 as the quiet option.

    >> Cheers for that. As its going in a system with a 3Ghz Athlon, I might
    >> pick the quiet option.

    > A 3Ghz Athlon????? Man I'm behind the times, I didn't know they made them.
    > If that's the case then I wouldn't worry about noise from the video card,
    > the CPU fan will drown it out.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Well, its actually only 2.167Ghz ... but you know what I mean.

    Rider
    Rider, Feb 16, 2005
  13. Rider

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> A 3Ghz Athlon????? Man I'm behind the times, I didn't know they made

    >> them. If that's the case then I wouldn't worry about noise from the
    >> video card, the CPU fan will drown it out.

    > Well, its actually only 2.167Ghz ... but you know what I mean.

    I do now. :)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2005