    always be the bottleneck. Will I get any benefit from buying any card that
    is any better than the very cheapest?

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    Mail, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Mail

    Patch Guest

    "Mail" <> wrote in message
    news:3fc3bd6b$0$25670$...
    > I want to upgrade my graphics card which is an ATI Rage Pro 32MB for a
    > Geforce FX but I am bewildered by the choice and I don't fully understand
    > what difference the different specification make in the real world. Does
    > 256MB instead of 128MB make much of a difference? My PC will not be able

    > make the most of the card anyway as it is a 1GHZ Pentium 3 with 1024MB

    PC133
    > RAM, 4X AGP Pro, running Windows XP Pro. Given the specification of my PC
    > there wouldn't be much point buying a FX5900 since the CPU and memory will
    > always be the bottleneck. Will I get any benefit from buying any card

    that
    > is any better than the very cheapest?
    >

    > Thanks in advance for any advice.

    It really depends on what you plan on doing with your computer. If just
    surfing the web, or doing word processing is all, then the ATI is all you
    need. If you're a gamer, then buy the best card you can afford. The next
    generation of games such as Doom III or Half-life II will require a first
    class computer & video card.

    Patch, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Mail

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:36:25 -0000, "Mail" <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >I want to upgrade my graphics card which is an ATI Rage Pro 32MB for a
    >Geforce FX but I am bewildered by the choice and I don't fully understand
    >what difference the different specification make in the real world. Does
    >256MB instead of 128MB make much of a difference? My PC will not be able to
    >make the most of the card anyway as it is a 1GHZ Pentium 3 with 1024MB PC133
    >RAM, 4X AGP Pro, running Windows XP Pro. Given the specification of my PC
    >there wouldn't be much point buying a FX5900 since the CPU and memory will
    >always be the bottleneck. Will I get any benefit from buying any card that
    >is any better than the very cheapest?
    >Thanks in advance for any advice.

    Your question is a bit confusing. An FX5900 is near the top of the heap and may be a
    little more than you need. OTOH your machine isn't exactly a slouch, so using a
    bottom of the barrel card is a waste of your eyeballs.
    IMO, the decision rests on your general shopping philosophy, budget, and computing
    habits.
    For example:
    "I have lots of money, so I'll just buy a top of the line card now, and when the games
    get more needy I'll swap the old card back in, then build a new screamer using this
    card."
    Or:
    "I don't want to spend more than I have to, so I'll get a middle of the road ATI 9600
    Pro, then get the new stuff when it's cheaper and has been proven."

    Remember, the FXs are new and raw, and ATI has pretty well beaten all of the old
    driver problems.
    Don't forget to lurk in a few of the games groups.

    Shel-hed, Nov 25, 2003