    or point me in the right direction? Which should I buy tomorrow?

    TIA 10/19

    , Oct 19, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I'm looking to buy a new video card for gaming, a top of the line
    > version. I've always stuck with Geforce over ATI so I guess I will do
    > that again. I am confused about the difference between 3 cards.. the
    > 6800, the 6800 ultra, and the 7800 GTX. Can anyone give me some insight
    > or point me in the right direction? Which should I buy tomorrow?
    >
    > TIA 10/19

    Nvidia has two recent series of cards: 6x00 and 7x00.
    In the 6x00 series there are several cards (actually, too many to
    remember, because they keep giving them new names):
    6200: The budget card
    6200 TC: Budget card that uses TurboCache, a technique that uses your
    system RAM.
    6600: Sometimes the same core as the 6200, but these cards are the
    better cores, because they are clocked higher. Often used in HTPC's
    because they can be cooled without fans.
    6600GT: Though it has the same name as the 6600GT, this one can be used
    in SLI, has a different core and is a lot faster.
    6800LE: The budget version of the 6800 core. Has only 8 pipelines and 4
    vertex shaders when you buy it, but you can unlock 8 pipes and 2 shaders
    more.
    6800 (NU): This is one step higher from the 6800LE. It is actually
    called 6800, but some people say NU because 6800 is also the name of
    this whole series of cards
    6800GS: It should be a little cheaper than the GT, but it should perform
    about the same.
    6800GT: Not as good as the ultra's, but the cheapest SLI ready 6800 card
    (correct me if i'm wrong)
    6800 Ultra: The best Nvidia card, until the 7x00 series came. SLI ready.

    7800GT: The cheapest 7x00 card, and also SLI ready. These cards are
    great for overclocking
    7800GTX: This is the best card you can buy (perhaps just because you
    can't buy XI800 yet). If you have to choose between the cards in the OP,
    choose this one.

    Marc Hulsebosch, Oct 19, 2005

  3. Dave Lear Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I'm looking to buy a new video card for gaming, a top of the
    > line version. I've always stuck with Geforce over ATI so I
    > guess I will do that again. I am confused about the difference
    > between 3 cards.. the 6800, the 6800 ultra, and the 7800 GTX.
    > Can anyone give me some insight or point me in the right
    > direction? Which should I buy tomorrow?

    Highest numbered card wins, i.e. 7800GTX is fastest of the cards you
    mentioned. More details / benchmarks...
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/

    However, the newly released ATI Radeon X1800XTs are faster than the 7800GTX.

    Dave Lear, Oct 19, 2005