    Apparently, will sell for $200USD.

    Feel sorry for the dudes at work who recently forked out over $700NZD for
    Radeon 9800XT's.

    Daniel, Sep 11, 2004

  2. "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    news:Ipv0d.3054$...
    > Is this the end of the ultra-crippled GF4MX, FX5200 entry-level legacy?
    >
    > Apparently, will sell for $200USD.
    >
    > Feel sorry for the dudes at work who recently forked out over $700NZD for
    > Radeon 9800XT's.

    A video card that sells for $200US is not entry level at all.

    Will be a good card though, looking forward to getting one myself.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Sep 11, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <Ipv0d.3054$>,
    Daniel <> wrote:

    > Is this the end of the ultra-crippled GF4MX, FX5200 entry-level legacy?
    >
    > Apparently, will sell for $200USD.
    >
    > Feel sorry for the dudes at work who recently forked out over $700NZD for
    > Radeon 9800XT's.

    Hey raptor,

    US$200 is good for a card that performs that well, but I'm very happy
    with my FX5200 with 128 MB and VGA & DVI out for $130 (nearly 6 months
    ago). And I see Apple is putting 5200 Ultras in their new G5 iMac, as
    well as in all but the very highest end G5 towers.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Sep 11, 2004
  4. Daniel

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Is this the end of the ultra-crippled GF4MX, FX5200 entry-level legacy?
    >
    > Apparently, will sell for $200USD.
    >
    > Feel sorry for the dudes at work who recently forked out over $700NZD for
    > Radeon 9800XT's.

    $200 U.S=$700 NZ..once its sold here
    ..

    Craig Sutton, Sep 11, 2004
  5. Daniel

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Is this the end of the ultra-crippled GF4MX, FX5200 entry-level legacy?
    >
    > Apparently, will sell for $200USD.
    >
    > Feel sorry for the dudes at work who recently forked out over $700NZD for
    > Radeon 9800XT's.

    Nothing wrong with the previous cards. Give it 6 months a better card will
    be released. Nothing new a about the short time period from one latest card
    to the next.
    Peter Jackson won't be running off to downgrade to that card.
    LOL

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 11, 2004
  6. Daniel

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:14:29 +1200, Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    >In article <Ipv0d.3054$>,
    > Daniel <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is this the end of the ultra-crippled GF4MX, FX5200 entry-level legacy?
    >>
    >> Apparently, will sell for $200USD.
    >>
    >> Feel sorry for the dudes at work who recently forked out over $700NZD for
    >> Radeon 9800XT's.

    >Hey raptor,
    >
    >US$200 is good for a card that performs that well, but I'm very happy
    >with my FX5200 with 128 MB and VGA & DVI out for $130 (nearly 6 months
    >ago). And I see Apple is putting 5200 Ultras in their new G5 iMac, as
    >well as in all but the very highest end G5 towers.

    Try and Play the Dawn Demo with it, you need a full compliant DX9 card to do
    it..

    Karen Parker, Sep 11, 2004
  7. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Is this the end of the ultra-crippled GF4MX, FX5200 entry-level legacy?
    >
    > Apparently, will sell for $200USD.
    >
    > Feel sorry for the dudes at work who recently forked out over $700NZD for
    > Radeon 9800XT's.

    Yeah, I was little "trigger happy" with that post :p

    However, I do believe that $200USD translates to about $400-$500NZD when it
    comes to graphic cards.

    I compared a few of the price differentials on pricespy to pricewatch.com.

    Daniel, Sep 11, 2004
  8. Daniel

    steve Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > $200 U.S=$700 NZ..once its sold here

    So mail order it from the US.

    You likely have an NTSC-capable TV anyway if you use the TV-out (assuming it
    has one).

    steve, Sep 11, 2004
  9. Daniel

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:27:25 +1200, steve <> wrote:

    >Craig Sutton wrote:
    >

    >> $200 U.S=$700 NZ..once its sold here

    >So mail order it from the US.
    >
    >You likely have an NTSC-capable TV anyway if you use the TV-out (assuming it
    >has one).

    In most cases they are selectable..

    Karen Parker, Sep 11, 2004
  10. Daniel

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:34:22 +1200, Karen Parker <
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:14:29 +1200, Bruce Hoult <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <Ipv0d.3054$>,
    >> Daniel <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is this the end of the ultra-crippled GF4MX, FX5200 entry-level legacy?
    >>>
    >>> Apparently, will sell for $200USD.
    >>>
    >>> Feel sorry for the dudes at work who recently forked out over $700NZD for
    >>> Radeon 9800XT's.

    >>Hey raptor,
    >>
    >>US$200 is good for a card that performs that well, but I'm very happy
    >>with my FX5200 with 128 MB and VGA & DVI out for $130 (nearly 6 months
    >>ago). And I see Apple is putting 5200 Ultras in their new G5 iMac, as
    >>well as in all but the very highest end G5 towers.

    >Try and Play the Dawn Demo with it, you need a full compliant DX9 card to do
    >it..

    What if they don't want to play Dawn Demo with it?

    Invisible, Sep 11, 2004
  11. Daniel

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Karen Parker" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:14:29 +1200, Bruce Hoult <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <Ipv0d.3054$>,
    > > Daniel <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is this the end of the ultra-crippled GF4MX, FX5200 entry-level legacy?
    > >>
    > >> Apparently, will sell for $200USD.
    > >>
    > >> Feel sorry for the dudes at work who recently forked out over $700NZD

    for
    > >> Radeon 9800XT's.

    > >Hey raptor,
    > >
    > >US$200 is good for a card that performs that well, but I'm very happy
    > >with my FX5200 with 128 MB and VGA & DVI out for $130 (nearly 6 months
    > >ago). And I see Apple is putting 5200 Ultras in their new G5 iMac, as
    > >well as in all but the very highest end G5 towers.

    > Try and Play the Dawn Demo with it, you need a full compliant DX9 card

    to do
    > it..

    Like you don't think that DX10 is now closer than ever. Not that it hardly
    matters. You seem to think that the idea of producing games isn't to make
    plenty of money from selling them. Unless they work on popular
    configurations of the last few years they won't make very much money at all.
    Unlike you not everyone buys a new video card every 6 months.
    Didn't you claim that Halo was the only game worth having? Then it was Far
    Cry, and God knows how many software before that.

    You'll be saying that people can't take pictures without having a 12 MP
    camera next.
    Full credit to MS for sticking by XP for several years for a change, before
    shoving out it's replacement. Those that paid full retail for it can be
    more satisfied in knowing that it wasn't replaced a very short time later.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 11, 2004
  12. Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>Apparently, will sell for $200USD.

    > $200 U.S=$700 NZ..once its sold here

    not usually...
    it's usually onle 2.5 x USD sometimes 3, but I can say I've ever seen
    3.5, at least not recently.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 11, 2004
  13. Daniel

    MarkH Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in

    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>>Apparently, will sell for $200USD.

    >> $200 U.S=$700 NZ..once its sold here

    > not usually...
    > it's usually onle 2.5 x USD sometimes 3, but I can say I've ever seen
    > 3.5, at least not recently.

    If you do see 3.5 x USD then do everyone a favour and don’t buy from that
    rip-off merchant, no point in encouraging that sort of pricing.

    I have noticed that digital cameras are almost as cheap here a in the US,
    but accessories like batteries for them are often 3 x US or more.

    The dearer the item is the more likely the buyer will shop around the
    better the price here. Really we should never have to pay more than 2 x US
    (US x currency conversion + GST + Shipping costs).

    A few months ago I bought a flash for my camera which cost me about $600
    from the US including freight and GST. The NZ price varied from $879 to
    $1099, I paid $US300 + Freight + GST.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Sep 12, 2004
  14. Daniel

    steve Guest

    Karen Parker < wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:27:25 +1200, steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>

    >>> $200 U.S=$700 NZ..once its sold here

    >>So mail order it from the US.
    >>
    >>You likely have an NTSC-capable TV anyway if you use the TV-out (assuming
    >>it has one).

    > In most cases they are selectable..

    True!

    steve, Sep 12, 2004
  15. Daniel

    David Preece Guest

    Bruce Hoult wrote:
    > And I see Apple is putting 5200 Ultras in their new G5 iMac

    Doesn't stop it from being a shit video card though, does it?

    Disclaimer: Shit i.e. compared to a 6800 series. Not shit compared to
    what you actually need to run a desktop OS. Even one as OpenGL hungry as
    OSX.

    Dave

    David Preece, Sep 12, 2004
  16. Daniel

    Dave Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:34:22 +1200, Karen Parker wrote:

    > Try and Play the Dawn Demo with it, you need a full compliant DX9 card to do
    > it..

    Really, I'm sure the the nVidia Dawn demo is OpenGL.

    Dave, Sep 12, 2004
  17. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Bruce Hoult wrote:
    > In article <Ipv0d.3054$>,
    > Daniel <> wrote:
    >

    >>Is this the end of the ultra-crippled GF4MX, FX5200 entry-level legacy?
    >>
    >>Apparently, will sell for $200USD.
    >>
    >>Feel sorry for the dudes at work who recently forked out over $700NZD for
    >>Radeon 9800XT's.

    > Hey raptor,
    >
    > US$200 is good for a card that performs that well, but I'm very happy
    > with my FX5200 with 128 MB and VGA & DVI out for $130 (nearly 6 months
    > ago). And I see Apple is putting 5200 Ultras in their new G5 iMac, as
    > well as in all but the very highest end G5 towers.

    Heh. Did you know Jacques brought a 1.5GHz G4 PowerBook with a Radeon 9700
    128MB. It's the mobile version though, but, still very nice.

    I'd probably get a Mac if I had the money :)

    Daniel, Sep 12, 2004