GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cOKe, Nov 9, 2003.

  1. cOKe

    cOKe Guest

    GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!! I have to use
    the composite out! I'd like to be able to connect it to the back of my VCR
    so I could record off it. At the moment it has to go directly to the
    composite input of the TV. I've tried everything to get it to work!

    I have a converter that changes it from the composite output from the back
    of the card to a S-Video plug and then another cable that plugs into that
    converter and into the back of the VCR. It won't work!!

    Tried to read other forums no luck can you recommend any other forums or a
    fix, have tried different plugs to see if they are faulty they aren't?

    any ideas?

    Thanks,

    cOKe
    cOKe, Nov 9, 2003

  2. On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:51:48 +1300, "cOKe" <> wrote:

    >GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!! I have to use
    >the composite out! I'd like to be able to connect it to the back of my VCR
    >so I could record off it. At the moment it has to go directly to the
    >composite input of the TV. I've tried everything to get it to work!
    >
    >I have a converter that changes it from the composite output from the back
    >of the card to a S-Video plug and then another cable that plugs into that
    >converter and into the back of the VCR. It won't work!!
    >
    >Tried to read other forums no luck can you recommend any other forums or a
    >fix, have tried different plugs to see if they are faulty they aren't?
    >
    >any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >

    >cOKe

    All the VCR's I have ever seen don't have S-Video sockets..

    Plus all new Video cards have Macrovision and it will not work with a VCR..
    Gregory Parker, Nov 9, 2003

  3. cOKe

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:51:48 +1300, "cOKe" <> wrote:

    >GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!! I have to use
    >the composite out! I'd like to be able to connect it to the back of my VCR
    >so I could record off it. At the moment it has to go directly to the
    >composite input of the TV. I've tried everything to get it to work!
    >
    >I have a converter that changes it from the composite output from the back
    >of the card to a S-Video plug and then another cable that plugs into that
    >converter and into the back of the VCR. It won't work!!
    >
    >Tried to read other forums no luck can you recommend any other forums or a
    >fix, have tried different plugs to see if they are faulty they aren't?
    >
    >any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >

    >cOKe

    There might be something here for you:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/articles/macrovision.html
    GraB, Nov 9, 2003
  4. cOKe

    Paul Gunson Guest

    cOKe wrote:
    > GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!! I have to use
    > the composite out! I'd like to be able to connect it to the back of my VCR
    > so I could record off it. At the moment it has to go directly to the
    > composite input of the TV. I've tried everything to get it to work!
    >
    > I have a converter that changes it from the composite output from the back
    > of the card to a S-Video plug and then another cable that plugs into that
    > converter and into the back of the VCR. It won't work!!

    i have an MX-440 plugged into my VCR and it works sweet. the back of
    GeForce cards are all SVHS outputs AFAIK.... ? i use the supplied SVHS >
    composite adapter, and into the composite video-in on the VCR.

    just to be clear, is your setup the same as mine or do u actually have a
    SuperVHS....?
    Paul Gunson, Nov 10, 2003
  5. cOKe

    cOKe Guest

    "Paul Gunson" <> wrote in message
    > cOKe wrote:
    > > GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!! I have to

    use
    > > the composite out! I'd like to be able to connect it to the back of my

    VCR
    > > so I could record off it. At the moment it has to go directly to the
    > > composite input of the TV. I've tried everything to get it to work!
    > >
    > > I have a converter that changes it from the composite output from the

    back
    > > of the card to a S-Video plug and then another cable that plugs into

    that
    > > converter and into the back of the VCR. It won't work!!

    > i have an MX-440 plugged into my VCR and it works sweet. the back of
    > GeForce cards are all SVHS outputs AFAIK.... ? i use the supplied SVHS >
    > composite adapter, and into the composite video-in on the VCR.
    >
    > just to be clear, is your setup the same as mine or do u actually have a
    > SuperVHS....?

    Ok think i've got the wrong names for the wrong plugs...
    My setup is the same I think) there is only the one output plug on the back
    of the card! one that looks like a ps2 socket but less pins.

    Still no luck will have a look at the forum and maybe post on that one
    tonight!

    cOKe
    cOKe, Nov 10, 2003
  6. On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:59:38 +1300, "cOKe" <> wrote:

    >"Paul Gunson" <> wrote in message
    >> cOKe wrote:
    >> > GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!! I have to

    >use
    >> > the composite out! I'd like to be able to connect it to the back of my

    >VCR
    >> > so I could record off it. At the moment it has to go directly to the
    >> > composite input of the TV. I've tried everything to get it to work!
    >> >
    >> > I have a converter that changes it from the composite output from the

    >back
    >> > of the card to a S-Video plug and then another cable that plugs into

    >that
    >> > converter and into the back of the VCR. It won't work!!

    >> i have an MX-440 plugged into my VCR and it works sweet. the back of
    >> GeForce cards are all SVHS outputs AFAIK.... ? i use the supplied SVHS >
    >> composite adapter, and into the composite video-in on the VCR.
    >>
    >> just to be clear, is your setup the same as mine or do u actually have a
    >> SuperVHS....?
    >>

    >Ok think i've got the wrong names for the wrong plugs...
    >My setup is the same I think) there is only the one output plug on the back
    >of the card! one that looks like a ps2 socket but less pins.
    >
    >Still no luck will have a look at the forum and maybe post on that one
    >tonight!
    >
    >cOKe

    You can't as the Macrovision will kill it..
    Gregory Parker, Nov 10, 2003
  7. cOKe

    Paul Gunson Guest

    cOKe wrote:
    > Ok think i've got the wrong names for the wrong plugs...
    > My setup is the same I think) there is only the one output plug on the back
    > of the card! one that looks like a ps2 socket but less pins.

    yes that output is S-VHS. and if u have a converter/adapter it then
    becomes composite which should go straight into video line-in on the
    VHS. u probly know this already but u have changed the VCR channel to
    line1 right...? ;) (line2 if its going into that).

    also, i'm not sure if its necessary but to see the computer display on
    TV if you're going thru the vid, u may need to connect another composite
    cable from VCR line-out to line-in on the TV (in addition to the
    standard coax cable)... not sure on that one tho. this is how i have it
    set up and i can watch movies on TV, record PC content to tape etc.
    Paul Gunson, Nov 10, 2003
  8. cOKe

    Paul Gunson Guest

    also with your driver display settings check that you have them set to
    PAL instead of NTSC, sometimes a common cause for a blank screen in
    Windows, also Full-screen Output device should be set to Secondary Display.
    Paul Gunson, Nov 10, 2003