    has worked. Admittedly, I don't know where I should start looking in
    order to correct this problem.

    Any Ideas appreciated.
    Pacific Dragon, Jan 16, 2006

  2. Pacific Dragon

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:57:26 +1300, Pacific Dragon wrote:

    > I'm not sure what the heck has happened, but all of a sudden every time I
    > right click on a file to bring up the context menu and select "Open with
    > 'Text editor'". Gedit now crashes.
    >
    > I haven't installed/updated anything else in the past few days, and it was
    > working fine both yesterday and earlier today. now gedit just crashes
    > out. Although I can still launch Gedit and then use the open dialog to
    > open HTML files, this for me an extreme pain as I can no longer right
    > click on files and get them to open up directly in gedit.
    >
    > I Tried reinstalling gedit from CD and rebooting the system but nothing
    > has worked. Admittedly, I don't know where I should start looking in
    > order to correct this problem.
    >
    > Any Ideas appreciated.

    Have you run out of disk space???
    Steve, Jan 16, 2006

  3. On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:02:47 +1300, Steve wrote:
    > Have you run out of disk space???

    When I checked, there was 175 GB free.
    Pacific Dragon, Jan 17, 2006
  4. Pacific Dragon

    moma Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > I'm not sure what the heck has happened, but all of a sudden every time I
    > right click on a file to bring up the context menu and select "Open with
    > 'Text editor'". Gedit now crashes.

    <snip>
    > Any Ideas appreciated.

    Create a new user account and test with it.

    // moma
    http://www.futuredesktop.org/how2burn.html#Ubuntu
    moma, Jan 17, 2006
  5. On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:44:04 +1300, Pacific Dragon wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:02:47 +1300, Steve wrote:
    >> Have you run out of disk space???

    > When I checked, there was 175 GB free.

    Nevermind, my Ubuntu Install got totally hosed, obviously the gedit problem
    was the first noticeable symptom of a more serious problem apparently.
    Nautilus file manager later on started acting up and crashing left right
    and center, then down came down the entire ubuntu install, eating up some
    particularly important Emails (even though I remember specifically copying
    a back up of them a day earlier, but nautilus obviously was already wounded
    at that point, threw a hissy fit and failed to copy or corrupted some
    mailboxes).

    Suspected Hard disk fault, but scan revealed nothing, what happened remains
    a total mystery.
    Pacific Dragon, Jan 18, 2006