Gearhead Special FAQ part I

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Thebigone, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. Thebigone

    Thebigone Guest

    Usually Gearheads/technotoy type guys (Gadget collectors etc..) are
    typically Mediocre Photographers who enjoy buying expensive cameras to
    admire the technological advancements and all the cool doodads available in
    the latest/greatest Camerabody.

    The Elite Gearhead. This is the rarest type with membership to CPS and VIP
    membership to PMA,Photokina events. These guys not only saw the prototype
    under NDA but have the 1D Mk II body as we speak now and soon expect to see
    8.3mp poorly exposed Catpictures.

    The Hardcore (Professional Gearheads) are ones buy the current PRO DSLR
    bodies everytime the arrive and are on pre-orderlists as we speak.

    The Advanced Amateur Gearhead usually stick with the amateur bodies (10D
    etc) and Upgrade everytime a new one arrives, counting down every day before
    PMA or Photokina like children waiting for Christmas

    The Beginner Level Gearhead sticks with the Digicams ie F-828 etc.. and
    upgrade every-year

    Go to the sony forums they are complaning about CA and like like people who
    suffer from O.C.D they continually exchange bodies hoping for that "Sweet
    Mythical CA/Noisefree 828"

    Someways to identify the Gearhead (add to this if you find any new ones)

    #1. Owners Cat/Dog pictures as the only pictures ever presented.
    #2. Never leaves the home to take pictures.
    #3 Continually Bashes other brands of cameras (ie Nikon or Canon sucks etc)

    #4 Only birds you see are the ones in the backyard shot with a 28-135 at
    135mm 5.6 with a shutter speed of 1/45th.

    #5 Always chasing the latest body.

    #6 Lots and lots of testing using newspapers/filmcanisters for months before
    taking the first non-benchmark test (by then the next generation body is
    around the corner) Ask the Canon Gearheads for further details

    #7 Chromatic Aberration. Ask the Sony Gearheads for details

    #8 Knows more about multilayer CMOS process and prototype GaAs CMOS
    Fabrication, Can explain how CCD Bitbuckets work, Can explain in full detail
    FFT transform and Bayer interpolation algorithms but has no clue regarding
    the basics of F/stop and shutter speeds and how it affects your picture.

    Thebigone, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Thebigone

    jriegle Guest

    "Thebigone" <> wrote in message

    > Usually Gearheads/technotoy type guys (Gadget collectors etc..) are
    > typically Mediocre Photographers who enjoy buying expensive cameras to
    > admire the technological advancements and all the cool doodads available

    in
    > the latest/greatest Camerabody.

    Ooooh! That's going to piss off some here because it is so true.

    > The Elite Gearhead. This is the rarest type with membership to CPS and VIP
    > membership to PMA,Photokina events. These guys not only saw the prototype
    > under NDA but have the 1D Mk II body as we speak now and soon expect to

    see
    > 8.3mp poorly exposed Catpictures.

    I wouldn't mind going to see one of those shows. It would have to be nearby
    though.

    > The Hardcore (Professional Gearheads) are ones buy the current PRO DSLR
    > bodies everytime the arrive and are on pre-orderlists as we speak.
    >
    > The Advanced Amateur Gearhead usually stick with the amateur bodies (10D
    > etc) and Upgrade everytime a new one arrives, counting down every day

    before
    > PMA or Photokina like children waiting for Christmas
    >
    > The Beginner Level Gearhead sticks with the Digicams ie F-828 etc.. and
    > upgrade every-year

    It helps the economy!

    > Go to the sony forums they are complaning about CA and like like people

    who
    > suffer from O.C.D they continually exchange bodies hoping for that "Sweet
    > Mythical CA/Noisefree 828"

    Sony comments eh? I see where this is going : )

    > Someways to identify the Gearhead (add to this if you find any new ones)
    >
    > #1. Owners Cat/Dog pictures as the only pictures ever presented.

    You got my number. Here are some of my cats:
    http://home.att.net/~jriegle/jcrbc5.htm

    > #2. Never leaves the home to take pictures.
    > #3 Continually Bashes other brands of cameras (ie Nikon or Canon sucks

    etc)

    > #4 Only birds you see are the ones in the backyard shot with a 28-135 at
    > 135mm 5.6 with a shutter speed of 1/45th.
    >
    > #5 Always chasing the latest body.
    >

    > #6 Lots and lots of testing using newspapers/filmcanisters for months

    before
    > taking the first non-benchmark test (by then the next generation body is
    > around the corner) Ask the Canon Gearheads for further details

    Absolutly bench and field test your equipment. Know it's limitations. I'm
    returning a lens I just got due to poor performance. I have only 14 days
    from the DOP to get a refund, I tested it, it performs pooly, it is now on
    it's way back and a different brand is on the way! So glad I didn't wait.

    > #7 Chromatic Aberration. Ask the Sony Gearheads for details

    Uh oh, Sony again...

    > #8 Knows more about multilayer CMOS process and prototype GaAs CMOS
    > Fabrication, Can explain how CCD Bitbuckets work, Can explain in full

    detail
    > FFT transform and Bayer interpolation algorithms but has no clue regarding
    > the basics of F/stop and shutter speeds and how it affects your picture.

    Whew, I'm glad I know more about F stops and such. But...

    John
    Sort of a photographer, sort of a gear head.

    jriegle, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Thebigone

    Mark Johnson Guest

    "Thebigone" <> wrote:

    >Usually Gearheads/technotoy type guys (Gadget collectors etc..) are
    >typically Mediocre Photographers who enjoy buying expensive cameras to
    >admire the technological advancements and all the cool doodads available in
    >the latest/greatest Camerabody.

    They want to buy good photography, rather than realize they have to
    become good photographers.

    Of course, your 'gearhead' - I wouldn't call them that, since that
    refers to racers of various sorts - your 'camera nerd' can also be an
    accomplished pro who gets the right equipment, if not necessarily what
    some consider the latest and the best. He's the guy with the rep, the
    orders, the long client list, and maybe a coffee table book, or two.

    >The Elite Gearhead. This is the rarest type with membership to CPS and VIP
    >membership to PMA,Photokina events. These guys not only saw the prototype
    >under NDA but have the 1D Mk II body as we speak now and soon expect to see
    >8.3mp poorly exposed Catpictures.

    Or Auntie Em standing in front of the Mirage, blocking out most of it.

    >Go to the sony forums they are complaning about CA and like like people who
    >suffer from O.C.D they continually exchange bodies hoping for that "Sweet
    >Mythical CA/Noisefree 828"

    They could still be onto something. I prefer the feel of the e-100rs,
    that design, which is somewhat copied in the 828 and similar. But next
    year, who knows? And the year after that. Sometimes, developments and
    new stuff DON'T result in something better. It's tougher in
    electronics, though, where virtually every improvement is better, only
    on balance. But still.

    >#8 Knows more about multilayer CMOS process and prototype GaAs CMOS
    >Fabrication, Can explain how CCD Bitbuckets work, Can explain in full detail
    >FFT transform and Bayer interpolation algorithms but has no clue regarding
    >the basics of F/stop and shutter speeds and how it affects your picture.

    I wish I understood the "Bayer interpolation algorithm". Somehow, it
    works.

    Mark Johnson, Feb 10, 2004
  4. ROTFL
    Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the truest of them all?
    More ROTFL
    Yet more ROTFL.

    DD
    ---------------------

    Duncan Donald, Feb 10, 2004
  5. Thebigone

    Leonard Guest

    Thebigone wrote:
    > Usually Gearheads/technotoy type guys (Gadget collectors etc..) are
    > typically Mediocre Photographers who enjoy buying expensive cameras to
    > admire the technological advancements and all the cool doodads available in
    > the latest/greatest Camerabody.
    >
    > The Elite Gearhead.
    > The Hardcore (Professional Gearheads)
    > The Advanced Amateur Gearhead
    > The Beginner Level Gearhead

    The Retro-enabled Gearhead. Not only owns two or three middling digicams
    and a dRebel, but also an Elan, an ME Super, a Rollei compact, a
    rangefinder by some now-unheard-of brand and a 6x9 folder. Knows the
    entire history of Zeiss, Rollei and Leica and still plans to "someday"
    own a IIIg and a 2.8F 'flex, even though he will probably never buy
    another roll of film other than to test old cameras with.

    #9 Active on rec.photo groups

    - Len

    Leonard, Feb 10, 2004
  6. "Leonard" <> wrote:
    > Thebigone wrote:
    > > Usually Gearheads/technotoy type guys (Gadget collectors etc..) are
    > > typically Mediocre Photographers who enjoy buying expensive cameras to
    > > admire the technological advancements and all the cool doodads available

    in
    > > the latest/greatest Camerabody.
    > >
    > > The Elite Gearhead.
    > > The Hardcore (Professional Gearheads)
    > > The Advanced Amateur Gearhead
    > > The Beginner Level Gearhead

    > The Retro-enabled Gearhead. Not only owns two or three middling digicams
    > and a dRebel, but also an Elan, an ME Super, a Rollei compact, a
    > rangefinder by some now-unheard-of brand and a 6x9 folder. Knows the
    > entire history of Zeiss, Rollei and Leica and still plans to "someday"
    > own a IIIg and a 2.8F 'flex, even though he will probably never buy
    > another roll of film other than to test old cameras with.

    Damn, that's ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Here's my family: http://www.pbase.com/image/25728855

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Feb 10, 2004
  7. Thebigone

    Bandicoot Guest

    "Leonard" <> wrote in message
    [SNIP]

    > > Someways to identify the Gearhead (add to this if you find any new ones)

    > #9 Active on rec.photo groups

    LOL - we're all busted...

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Feb 10, 2004
  8. Thebigone

    Bandicoot Guest

    "Mark Johnson" <> wrote in message

    [SNIP]

    > Of course, your 'gearhead' - I wouldn't call them that, since that
    > refers to racers of various sorts - your 'camera nerd' can also be an
    > accomplished pro who gets the right equipment, if not necessarily what
    > some consider the latest and the best. He's the guy with the rep, the
    > orders, the long client list, and maybe a coffee table book, or two.

    I think there's a number of us here that fall in or around this category:
    are 'real' photographers but also know quite a lot about the equipment and
    enjoy working with good tools rather than mediocre ones. Gordon, step
    forward...

    Of course, I've only ever posted the one picture of my cat, and that was a
    b&w one shot on medium format. No digital anywhere in sight.

    ;-)

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Feb 10, 2004
  9. Thebigone

    Clicker Guest

    Ok, help me out here. If I'm going to buy the iron on patch which
    category do I fit into?

    Owned a Minolta X700 for almost 20 years, finally bought into digital
    last year with an F717, felt I needed to see through a lens and not look
    at an LCD screen and picked up a Canon Elan7E.

    BTW No dog or cat pictures in sight.

    Clicker, Feb 10, 2004
  10. "Thebigone" <> writes:

    >Usually Gearheads/technotoy type guys (Gadget collectors etc..) are
    >typically Mediocre Photographers who enjoy buying expensive cameras to
    >admire the technological advancements and all the cool doodads available in
    >the latest/greatest Camerabody.

    Aww, I thought you were going to talk about gearhead tripods. That
    would be more interesting.

    (Or gearhead lathes, but this isn't the right group for that).

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Feb 10, 2004
  11. Thebigone

    Leonard Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Leonard" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>The Retro-enabled Gearhead. Not only owns two or three middling digicams
    >>and a dRebel, but also an Elan, an ME Super, a Rollei compact, a
    >>rangefinder by some now-unheard-of brand and a 6x9 folder. Knows the
    >>entire history of Zeiss, Rollei and Leica and still plans to "someday"
    >>own a IIIg and a 2.8F 'flex, even though he will probably never buy
    >>another roll of film other than to test old cameras with.

    > Damn, that's ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Ha! I expect there's a lot of it about. The gearhead phenomenon existed
    before digital cameras came along. And when you value gear for its own
    sake, it doesn't matter when it becomes outdated and obsolete.

    Example:
    I own a Yashica Minster-D. A nice enough camera despite being about
    forty years old, but no easier to carry around than the much easier to
    use Rebel + 50mm, so it never gets any film put in it. Why not get rid
    of it? Because it's GEAR, that's why! It's the only camera I have with
    a coupled rangefinder, it's got a linkage between aperture and
    shutter-speed control that means you operate it in a Program-Shift style
    and it's a big, old-fashioned, working lump of metal. Just because
    I'll never use it again doesn't mean I don't want to keep it.

    Example 2:
    I was offered an ME Super + 50mm recently for free. Seeing as I intend
    to go all-digital as soon as I've exposed the films I have now (*),
    I declined. But in my heart I really wanted that Pentax.

    > Here's my family: http://www.pbase.com/image/25728855

    Ooh, an L5. Best guitar I've ever played, but you get a lot more
    change when you buy a strat.

    - Len

    (*) I have a low-end digicam which obsoletes all of my film cameras
    with the exceptions of the Rebel and the Zeiss 515/2. When I run
    out of film the Rebel will be replaced by whatever the current
    incarnation of the dRebel or dElan is at that time. I'll still
    occasionally get some 120 for the Zeiss, just because of the
    puzzled looks I get when I use it :)

    Leonard, Feb 11, 2004