gdi32.dll program hang

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by miso@sushi.com, Jul 31, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Well, I went 9 months without any bugs in X64 showing up. Now I have
    two programs that hang.

    Adobe photoshop rev 6 (yes, I run that old beast) used to work just
    find on my dual core AMD64 4400. I fired it up one day and it started
    to hang. The error message from the event viewer is:

    Faulting application photoshop.exe version 6.0.128.0, faulting module
    gdi32.dll version 5.2.3790.2606, fault address 0x000210c8

    I googled the dll and found a security update on it issued in Jan 2006.
    I doubt I missed that update, but did a specific download on gdi32.dll
    for x64 just to make sure. It didn't fix the problem. All drivers and
    bios are up to date. Mobo is Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9. I ran memtest and
    found no problems. All MS updates done. I ran windows defender, Avast!,
    spybot, and adware. My PC is as clean as the newly fallen snow.

    The other program that hangs is OpenOpen, but only on "calc". The
    program loads, the spreadsheet appears on the screen, but after
    entering one bit of data, it locks. The event viewer isn't quite as
    useful for this bug.

    I've tried loading and unload open office with no success in fixing the
    problem. I need to go dig for the photoshop CD, so I haven't tried
    reloading it.

    Any ideas how to fix this?

    , Jul 31, 2006

  2. John Barnes Guest

    Did either or both problems start after one of the Microsoft monthly
    updates?

    John Barnes, Jul 31, 2006

  3. Guest

    John Barnes wrote:
    > Did either or both problems start after one of the Microsoft monthly
    > updates?
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Well, I went 9 months without any bugs in X64 showing up. Now I have
    > > two programs that hang.
    > >
    > > Adobe photoshop rev 6 (yes, I run that old beast) used to work just
    > > find on my dual core AMD64 4400. I fired it up one day and it started
    > > to hang. The error message from the event viewer is:
    > >
    > > Faulting application photoshop.exe version 6.0.128.0, faulting module
    > > gdi32.dll version 5.2.3790.2606, fault address 0x000210c8
    > >
    > > I googled the dll and found a security update on it issued in Jan 2006.
    > > I doubt I missed that update, but did a specific download on gdi32.dll
    > > for x64 just to make sure. It didn't fix the problem. All drivers and
    > > bios are up to date. Mobo is Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9. I ran memtest and
    > > found no problems. All MS updates done. I ran windows defender, Avast!,
    > > spybot, and adware. My PC is as clean as the newly fallen snow.
    > >
    > > The other program that hangs is OpenOpen, but only on "calc". The
    > > program loads, the spreadsheet appears on the screen, but after
    > > entering one bit of data, it locks. The event viewer isn't quite as
    > > useful for this bug.
    > >
    > > I've tried loading and unload open office with no success in fixing the
    > > problem. I need to go dig for the photoshop CD, so I haven't tried
    > > reloading it.
    > >
    > > Any ideas how to fix this?

    Monthly? ;-) I think those security updates are twice a week. ;-)

    It is quite possible I did an update, but the problem is I don't flog
    the PC (test all programs) after those updates. It may be a case where
    you have to stumble upon using the new DLL before you know it is broken.

    , Jul 31, 2006
  4. The gdi32.dll binary in this failure is version 5.2.3790.2606. This
    indicates that it's port x64 release which are 5.2.3790.1830 binaries.

    I doubt photoshop is x64 so the gdi32 binary is loading in the 32bit
    emulation layer loaded from \windows\syswow64\gdi32.dll.

    I'll forward this post to someone in Microsoft Sustained Engineering team.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Jul 31, 2006
  5. Guest

    Alan Morris [MSFT] wrote:
    > The gdi32.dll binary in this failure is version 5.2.3790.2606. This
    > indicates that it's port x64 release which are 5.2.3790.1830 binaries.
    >
    > I doubt photoshop is x64 so the gdi32 binary is loading in the 32bit
    > emulation layer loaded from \windows\syswow64\gdi32.dll.
    >
    > I'll forward this post to someone in Microsoft Sustained Engineering team.
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > John Barnes wrote:
    > >> Did either or both problems start after one of the Microsoft monthly
    > >> updates?
    > >>

    > >> <> wrote in message

    > > Monthly? ;-) I think those security updates are twice a week. ;-)
    > >
    > > It is quite possible I did an update, but the problem is I don't flog
    > > the PC (test all programs) after those updates. It may be a case where
    > > you have to stumble upon using the new DLL before you know it is broken.

    Thanks. Let me know if there are any tests I can do.

    I have another program that hangs but recovers.
    www.expertgps.com
    Since it doesn't outright fail, I don't get an event log. However, the
    program hasn't behaved like this until this problem showed up.

    Also, I have the x64 CDROM handy. Can I do an install over the existing
    x64 to see if the problem goes away?

    , Jul 31, 2006
  6. Run sfc /scannow first to repair any system files that might be corrupt.
    You can also do a Repair Installation of Windows without disturbing your
    programs and files. You will need to turn on Automatic Updates and bring
    the system back up to date afterwards.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 31, 2006
  7. Guest

    Well, good advice. However, the problem still remains. The booting
    seems to be a bit slower too, but who knows.

    Even with the reinstalled X64, I couldn't run photoshop rev 6 or open
    office. I did the updates to fix the security holes and such (110Mbytes
    or so!).

    I noticed a file called gui.exe running. This is a name used by a
    virus, though in my case, gigabyte.com uses this name for one of their
    programs. End it's execution via the taskmaager made no difference.

    One other odd thing that has cropped up on this PC has to do with the
    browser not being able to log into the router. It's a SMC router that
    has it's own IP address. Other computers on the networks can log into
    it, but this PC just hangs, or more accurately the browser times out.

    , Aug 1, 2006