    specific vendor implementation that only links up with its own
    implementation?

    Kott
    Kott, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Kott

    Guest

    On 6 Sep 2004 20:37:38 -0700, (Kott) wrote:

    >Hello -
    >I am using 1000B-X GBIC Fiber module from two different vendor
    >equipments. When I connect the Fiber links I see that the link does
    >not come up. Whereas if I use 1000BASE-X GBIC Fiber modules from same
    >equipment vendors, the link comes up.
    >
    >Could someone explain this behaviour ? Is it to do with some
    >specific vendor implementation that only links up with its own
    >implementation?
    >
    >Kott

    Do a show interface after you've stuck the gbics in. Does it report
    the proper (and same) media type on both ends? Some third party
    brands are not properly recognized in some combinations of Cisco
    switches and IOS. You might also be mixing SX and LX modules.

    -Chris
    , Sep 7, 2004

  3. On 07.09.2004 06:07 wrote:

    > Do a show interface after you've stuck the gbics in. Does it report
    > the proper (and same) media type on both ends? Some third party
    > brands are not properly recognized in some combinations of Cisco
    > switches and IOS. You might also be mixing SX and LX modules.

    even worse. Some vendors only allow there own GBIC/SFP.

    Arnold
    --
    Arnold Nipper, AN45
    Arnold Nipper, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Kott

    Ben Guest

    could be an attenuation problem?

    Ben, Sep 11, 2004
  5. Kott

    Guest

    In theory not unless he's using ZX modules. I'd think he would know
    that given the huge price tag on those. For the Cisco gbics, the SX
    and LX modules transmit power is not above the max receive level.

    -Chris

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:48:25 GMT, "Ben" <> wrote:

    >could be an attenuation problem?
    >

    >"Arnold Nipper" <> wrote in message
    >> On 07.09.2004 06:07 wrote:
    >>
    >> > Do a show interface after you've stuck the gbics in. Does it report
    >> > the proper (and same) media type on both ends? Some third party
    >> > brands are not properly recognized in some combinations of Cisco
    >> > switches and IOS. You might also be mixing SX and LX modules.
    >> >

    >> even worse. Some vendors only allow there own GBIC/SFP.
    >>

    >> Arnold
    >> --
    >> Arnold Nipper, AN45

    , Sep 12, 2004