    I have the old 3550 and 3560 switches in my network. I want to connect
    them using fiber. Where can I find information regarding the types of
    GBIC to use and if I need to use either LC or SC fiber cables. Thanks.
    Someone, Jan 25, 2008

  2. Someone

    Brian V Guest

    "Someone" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have the old 3550 and 3560 switches in my network. I want to connect
    > them using fiber. Where can I find information regarding the types of
    > GBIC to use and if I need to use either LC or SC fiber cables. Thanks.

    The 3550 use SC style GBIC's, the 3560's use LC style GBIC's so you will
    need to use a LCxSC fiber patch cable if they are in close proximity to each
    other. Very common item. If they are in different closets connected by
    infrastructure fiber then that will depend on what is in the cans, either SC
    or ST.
    Brian V, Jan 25, 2008

  3. Someone

    Thrill5 Guest

    Goto www.cisco.com and in the upper left hand corner enter "GBIC" in the
    search box and then click "search".

    Thrill5, Jan 25, 2008
  4. Someone

    Guest

    On 25 Jan, 03:10, "Brian V" <> wrote:
    > "Someone" <> wrote in message

    > >I have the old 3550 and 3560 switches in my network. I want to connect
    > > them using  fiber. Where can I find information regarding the types of
    > > GBIC to use and if I need to use either LC or SC fiber cables. Thanks.

    > The 3550 use SC style GBIC's, the 3560's use LC style GBIC's so you will
    > need to use a LCxSC fiber patch cable if they are in close proximity to each
    > other. Very common item. If they are in different closets connected by
    > infrastructure fiber then that will depend on what is in the cans, either SC
    > or ST.

    I am sure that the OP would find this less confusing if the correct
    terminology was used.

    The LC adapters are SFP.

    I am aware that quite a lot of people use the term GBIC to mean
    any concievble design of modular Network interface adapter
    however if you want an SFP then you are not going to find
    the right stuff by searching for GBIC on the Cisco web site.

    /rant
    , Jan 28, 2008
  5. Someone

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On 25 Jan, 03:10, "Brian V" <> wrote:
    > > "Someone" <> wrote in message

    > > >I have the old 3550 and 3560 switches in my network. I want to connect
    > > > them using fiber. Where can I find information regarding the types of
    > > > GBIC to use and if I need to use either LC or SC fiber cables. Thanks.

    > > The 3550 use SC style GBIC's, the 3560's use LC style GBIC's so you will
    > > need to use a LCxSC fiber patch cable if they are in close proximity to each
    > > other. Very common item. If they are in different closets connected by
    > > infrastructure fiber then that will depend on what is in the cans, either SC
    > > or ST.

    > I am sure that the OP would find this less confusing if the correct
    > terminology was used.
    >
    > The LC adapters are SFP.
    >
    > I am aware that quite a lot of people use the term GBIC to mean
    > any concievble design of modular Network interface adapter
    > however if you want an SFP then you are not going to find
    > the right stuff by searching for GBIC on the Cisco web site.
    >
    > /rant

    Sort of true. SFP stands for Small Form-factor Pluggable. Some
    references say this is a Small Form-factor Pluggable GBIC, so it may not
    be entirely false to refer to an SFP as a kind of GBIC, but I agree it's
    certainly confusing. There's also some confusion about whether a
    mini-GBIC and an SFP are the same thing, but I'll leave that for another
    day.

    Sam
    Sam Wilson, Jan 28, 2008