    inter-switch connections.

    Thanks.

    Bryan
    blw, Feb 23, 2004

  2. blw <> writes:
    >Does anyone know if the GBICs on a 3548 switch can be connected directly
    >to a fiber NIC, instead of being used for inter-switch connections? I
    >recently saw some material that the GBICs can be used to connect to a
    >1000Mb fiber NIC. I was under the impression that most GBICs are for
    >inter-switch connections.

    They don't care what they get hooked up to, end-station or a
    switch. Just have to get the receive/transmit fibers going straight or
    crossed depending on what you are doing.

    --
    Doug McIntyre
    Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades
    Doug McIntyre, Feb 23, 2004

  3. blw

    Paul Hardy Guest

    Dont know if its down to model of the gbic but I have used the short hall
    ones to connect to the intel cards

    Paul

    Paul Hardy, Feb 23, 2004
  4. blw

    Gray Guest

    Another tip is check encapsulation settings, trunking off etc, leave as much
    on auto until works - but do check for significant errors under traffic as
    that could be auto-duplex mismatch etc.
    Just trial & test the settings, easy enough to check thru the command ref's
    or use the ? option before commiting to config change if you have limited
    downtime.

    Gray, Feb 23, 2004